OT - Love my Lovely Hubby

Options
LokiFae
LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
There aren't a lot of times when I'm really over the moon for my husband nowadays, but I just had a really huge moment. Excuse the long post.

My husband and I have been painting his parents' new house for the past week. We go over there every day while my mother-in-law watches our son. Now, I'm pretty lax on what she does when she's with my son, because I think it's good for him to get different experiences, but I do have some ground rules that EVERYBODY follows with him. One is that he only gets 2 oz. of juice a day, mixed with water. If he drinks it, he just gets water for the rest of the day. The second is, he gets no sweets yet (ice cream, soda, etc) because I don't want him getting a taste for it and not wanting anything else. Okay, those are my rules regarding him. Pretty easy. Mostly just to do with what he eats or drinks, because I want him to be healthy.

The second leg of this is the fact that my husband does the dishes and takes out the laundry. Those are the ONLY house chores I make him do, because I feel like he should do something around here. My mother-in-law, father-in-law, mother, and everyone else knows this, because it's a big deal around here. It's the only thing he does, so I make sure he does them. Sorry if that sounds b*tchy, but come on, I do everything else.

Okay, so here's why I love my hubby today: We got home from painting and the dishes that were in the sink had been done, the trash had been taken out, my son was all sticky from Mountain Dew, and a bottle of juice I just bought was half-empty. :explode: :explode: :explode:

My hubby knows that I won't say anything to my mother-in-law because I really do like her, and don't want to end up on Dr. Phil or something, so what does he do? He rationally explains to her that HE is supposed to do the dishes and take out the trash, and our son is NOT supposed to have soda or too much juice, and we aren't painting her house anymore and letting her watch the baby if this is how it's going to end up. :heart: :heart: :heart:

She kept trying to rationalize and say, "Well, I know you're busy and don't always have time to do the dishes, or take out the trash...What's wrong with a little soda and juice? He wanted it." And he just kept explaining to her that it's his job, the baby's health is important to us, don't do that again, or we won't let you watch him by yourself anymore.

I just stood in the background and felt my heart beating so fast I thought I was going to die, I was SO happy. And in the end, SHE apologized to ME. Wooo!

Sorry for the long post, I was just really really really happy my hubby stood up for me. He doesn't do that very often. :smile:

Replies

• LokiFae
    Options
    There aren't a lot of times when I'm really over the moon for my husband nowadays, but I just had a really huge moment. Excuse the long post.

My husband and I have been painting his parents' new house for the past week. We go over there every day while my mother-in-law watches our son. Now, I'm pretty lax on what she does when she's with my son, because I think it's good for him to get different experiences, but I do have some ground rules that EVERYBODY follows with him. One is that he only gets 2 oz. of juice a day, mixed with water. If he drinks it, he just gets water for the rest of the day. The second is, he gets no sweets yet (ice cream, soda, etc) because I don't want him getting a taste for it and not wanting anything else. Okay, those are my rules regarding him. Pretty easy. Mostly just to do with what he eats or drinks, because I want him to be healthy.

The second leg of this is the fact that my husband does the dishes and takes out the laundry. Those are the ONLY house chores I make him do, because I feel like he should do something around here. My mother-in-law, father-in-law, mother, and everyone else knows this, because it's a big deal around here. It's the only thing he does, so I make sure he does them. Sorry if that sounds b*tchy, but come on, I do everything else.

Okay, so here's why I love my hubby today: We got home from painting and the dishes that were in the sink had been done, the trash had been taken out, my son was all sticky from Mountain Dew, and a bottle of juice I just bought was half-empty. :explode: :explode: :explode:

My hubby knows that I won't say anything to my mother-in-law because I really do like her, and don't want to end up on Dr. Phil or something, so what does he do? He rationally explains to her that HE is supposed to do the dishes and take out the trash, and our son is NOT supposed to have soda or too much juice, and we aren't painting her house anymore and letting her watch the baby if this is how it's going to end up. :heart: :heart: :heart:

She kept trying to rationalize and say, "Well, I know you're busy and don't always have time to do the dishes, or take out the trash...What's wrong with a little soda and juice? He wanted it." And he just kept explaining to her that it's his job, the baby's health is important to us, don't do that again, or we won't let you watch him by yourself anymore.

I just stood in the background and felt my heart beating so fast I thought I was going to die, I was SO happy. And in the end, SHE apologized to ME. Wooo!

Sorry for the long post, I was just really really really happy my hubby stood up for me. He doesn't do that very often. :smile:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Woo Hoo - score 1 for you - maybe more like 1000!! That's awesome. Love it when our guys shine!!
  • tlitzner
    tlitzner Posts: 124
    Options
    Yay hubby! That rocks!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    He's definitely a keeper. Had a moment like that just about 30 minutes ago with my hubby, except it was dealing with my mother. So I'm taking mine to the gym with me and then dinner just the two of us. Give that man of yours a good lip lock. He deserves it!
  • BlazinEmerald
    BlazinEmerald Posts: 842
    Options
    Woo Hoo Hubby , I could kiss him for that one ! :smooched: My hubby and I kinda have a rule , I deal with my mom issues (which there never are any cause she lives so far away and she's perfect , naturally) and he deals with his mom issues cause they are huge and abundant and I would lose my temper and stop her from seeing my son permanently if he didn't. I'm really not being nasty, she's just a nasty woman and I refuse to fight with her. So YAY to your hubby for sticking up for you and making the house rules KNOWN. :flowerforyou:
  • sophialittle
    sophialittle Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    sweet!! (but not more than 2 oz):laugh: seriously hilarious! good for the hubby!:wink:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Jeez, I wish all I had to do was dishes and trash! I wonder if he realizes how lucky he is? My wife and I split everything 50/50 (ok maybe 55/45, but that's only cuz she "sees" more stuff then i do, if I see a chore I do it). :tongue:
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :smile: Great guy... not many will stick up to there mommys like that.. and for your mother in law she means well glad she apologized ...... I know I will have issures with my own mother and (if i end up married) my bf parents will do the same... but i give you credit for sticking to your guns...LOL
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've been married 20 years now & it's always been a rare occasion to have my hubby stand up to his mom. It was really frustrating when the kids were little.

You need to praise him over & over & over & over again. Then when you're done praising him, give him an early birthday present. :wink:
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options
    Yay for boys!!!
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Your hubby does dishes?!? That in itself would earn my hubby a post.:smile:
  • sophialittle
    Options
    Jeez, I wish all I had to do was dishes and trash! I wonder if he realizes how lucky he is? My wife and I split everything 50/50 (ok maybe 55/45, but that's only cuz she "sees" more stuff then i do, if I see a chore I do it). :tongue:

oh banks, don't even get me started. .. . you guys never do "see" what needs done until we're huffing around the house doing it and then you were "just getting ready to do that, baby" :laugh: :explode: :laugh: :explode: :laugh: :explode:
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    Seriously, I know how happy that made you to have your hubby put you first and not back down until his mom "got it." Sounds like he is definitely due some praise. :smile:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Im sorry Im trying to understand this- I know you were upset about your son having soda (understandable) but you got upset because your mother in-law cleaned up-- I would love that if that were me..

When my husband is home (currently deployed) we dont have assigned things to do- we share responsiblity for everything and if we were to come home and someone cleaned the house we would high five each other cause now we dont have to do anything-

Thats cool that your husband stuck up for you though...
  • sophialittle
    Options
    Im sorry Im trying to understand this- I know you were upset about your son having soda (understandable) but you got upset because your mother in-law cleaned up-- I would love that if that were me..

When my husband is home (currently deployed) we dont have assigned things to do- we share responsiblity for everything and if we were to come home and someone cleaned the house we would high five each other cause now we dont have to do anything-

i think her point is that her mo-in-law did only the chores she knows are her son's chores, not just getting anything done that needed done. she's saying they don't share chores, his only two are the dishes and trash. she does everything else, yet his 2 chores were the only ones done by his mommy:smile:

wish your hubby a safe return home!:flowerforyou:
  • LokiFae
    Options

I got upset because she did his chores, that she knows he's supposed to do. Basically, she was enabling him, which is a huge issue with us. She has a really hard time letting go, and to be crude, she has been the major reason he doesn't have a pair of b*lls sometimes. He does the dishes and takes the trash out because I do everything else. I get a little irritated when I've cleaned all day, leaving the dishes and trash for him to do because I want him to contribute, and then she comes and does it, making sure that he doesn't have to do anything. Does that make more sense?
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Kudos for your hubby! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    oh banks, don't even get me started. .. . you guys never do "see" what needs done until we're huffing around the house doing it and then you were "just getting ready to do that, baby" :laugh: :explode: :laugh: :explode: :laugh: :explode:

Well, true enough, BUT, to be fair there are plenty of things we see that the ladies don't as well, lets not even start that conversation, but I'm thinking of 3 things right off the top of my head right now. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

(let's just call that one even, shall we?)
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    hey girl!!! I'm so happy for you both....like woo hoo high five team!!! lol

I love it when those times come up and your both on the same page and they really step up to the plate!!! Dealing w/ mothers and mil's are tricky...but well done!!! :drinker:

big hugs and enjoy!!!
    Ali :flowerforyou: