The ABSURD things people say.....

1234568»

Replies

• saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    When people ask me more than once what my 'secret' is to losing weight, I figure they didn't hear me when I said the first time it was "eating better and working out"....so I nonchalantly say "Oh, I pretty much just live on vitamin C and cocaine" just to see their faces. Then I laugh and tell them AGAIN that it's just eating better and working out. They probably still don't get it though.
  • amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Envious!
  • commandax
    commandax Posts: 38 Member
    "When you get skinny are you going to start wearing pink and buying bare midriff shirts in the kids' section and putting your hair up in pigtails? Girls do that when they lose weight. They want to relive their high school years when they were fat."

I'm 43, am rarely seen wearing anything but black and navy blue, and the thought of reliving high school gives me the willies.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    "Wow..you look different....this was deliberate, right????". Ok, yes I do look different, and I am glad so are concerned about my health, but the next words out of your mouth better be something along the lines of "you look awesome!"....because I do, dammit, and I work hard for it!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Wife's grandmother who has openly and loudly commented on my being overweight for years: "You have lost so much weight you need a facelift'" Really? Wow- that's nice.
  • ashleydmassey
    ashleydmassey Posts: 106 Member
    When I went from a size 18 to 12, a "friend" replied to my success with "it depends on how the pants are made, and where you get them from". Um, NO. Before I started losing anything, I tried on pants in MANY different stores all 18s, many of them wouldn't pull up over my knees. I was lucky to get stretchy kinds to fit. So when I got into 12s very easily, it isn't because I tried on a "lucky" pair from a "lucky" store. People are bozos and jealousy produces lots of negativity! (Still not where I want to be, BTW)
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member

You look great. Are you dieting because your husband was losing interest?

How about, "No, I'm dieting because your husband is losing interest."

That is exactly how I respond to my friends & family.

But ... My favorite comments come from those who have had surgeries like gastric bypass or lapband.
    "You know, this wouldn't be such an up and down struggle for you if you would just get the procedure done. Who cares about the scar it will leave,it's worth it!"

Yet, I have lost weight consistently (slowly, but consistently) for 16 months now. There has been no up and down. I have trouble with surgery because I am borderline hemophiliac and don't respond we'll to general anesthesia. I am doing this on my own, by my own will power. Scars have nothing to do with it.

My other favorite is from people who have not seen me in 10 years. They saw me last at 127 pounds. And greet me with things like "omg! Who's the fat chick that swallowed Kim!" Meanwhile, I've lost over 60 pounds and was feeling good until that moment! Lol
  • DreamerZenko
    DreamerZenko Posts: 59 Member
    "You don't need to lose weight, I do"
    Says the person who wears size 6 pants to me who wears a size 14.
    This is the most annoying thing anyone ever says to me. Usually said while grabbing an inch of skin and claiming its a huge roll of fat grrr

Or when they jiggle their non-existant belly
    "You don't need to lose weight, I do"
    Says the person who wears size 6 pants to me who wears a size 14.
    This is the most annoying thing anyone ever says to me. Usually said while grabbing an inch of skin and claiming its a huge roll of fat grrr

UGG....THIS!!!. My roommate, "Derek, I'm getting fat", 6 foot, 165...his BMI is almost considered "underweight". I've told him at time I want to punch him in the face if he says he's fat again.

Yes, god forbid he goes from skeleton to normal sized person! :3

I get this alot "Well, we don't want to eat that stuff that you make all the time for dinner. We're sick of being on a diet too just because YOU'RE fat. You can stop and pick up something from Sonic for us and eat your gross diet food when you get home"

I am so lucky I dont get this, my husband is losing weight too so the food I cook is good for bother of us.

Luckily my fiance is not like this either. If anything I influence him to eat well with me though he doesn't need to lose. My mother and I on the other hand..... she buys things that are worse for me and I try to persuade her to buy better thing (reduced fat, etc). And she always says "When you move out you can buy what you want" >.>
  • sjp_stevenson
    sjp_stevenson Posts: 2 Member
    From my partner, who is generally very supportive:

'don't be greedy, you know dieting is about learning to eat less' as I give myself an extra portion of salad.

Really??? I have been at this 6 months, lost 14kg, and I'm now in the healthy BMI range. I don't think I need a lecture on how to lose weight. I don't even think of it a dieting any more. I just make different choices.

Rant over
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,060 Member
    edited April 2021
    HLeAnn wrote: »
    Coworkers: "We're ordering out for lunch. Do you want anything?"

Me: "No, thanks though. I brought my lunch today."

Coworker: "oh yeah, I forgot. you're a "picky eater" now..."

Really? Picky? LOL I didn't realize bringing my own food from home and not eating pizza meant being picky...

Hahaha this is my favourite. Picky eater😂😂😂
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Kupla71 wrote: »
    When I had lost about 40 pounds, my friend said to me. You know. I’m glad you lost weight because I was embarrassed to walk down the street with you! I was silent and then told her. You know. You really shouldn’t say that. I’m the same person I was then and I’m sitting right here. I can hear you!

Oh wow. :( I'm so sorry!
    I think your reply was much nicer than mine would have been, and I admire you for that.
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    I get this alot "Well, we don't want to eat that stuff that you make all the time for dinner. We're sick of being on a diet too just because YOU'RE fat. You can stop and pick up something from Sonic for us and eat your gross diet food when you get home"

I also hear "Ohhhhhh, look... you're being good today [referring to my home made lunch in the lunch room]. I guess you just can't have REAL food anymore."

And of course the "If you just didn't have all the belly roll you would be totally skinny" Said while grabbing my stomach... literally, people I'm not related to or sleeping with reaching out, criticizing the part of my body I hate the most and then putting their hands on me and giving it a good jiggle.

:noway:

NOOOO WAAAAYYYYY! I'm so sorry you've had to experience this from your home life. And as for the *kitten* grabbing bits of you - I hope you reported them to the police for assault and/or sexual harassment.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2021
    Wrote a vent post. Edited to delete. TLDR I have trouble shaking off people's awful comments sometimes!