Moving

Does anyone know a more accurate number of calories burned by moving furniture and boxes? I spent 3 solid hours yesterday lifting boxes and furniture up stairs, through the house, loaded into a truck and then unloaded into the new place yesterday. I thought I'd take a look at what that would burn, but it says for 3 hours (It took 4 hours, I took an hour off for driving and breaks) that I burned more than 2000 calories! I was lifting things that were very heavy to me and I am sore today, but I didn't sweat as much as I do while running.

I know many people do not log calories burned for things they do that are not actual exercise, but I had to skip my routine today because of soreness from moving, so I'd like to know if I at least burned a decent number of calories yesterday.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    What did you use to record your calories? Which exercise? If you want to record a modest amount of exercise but acknowledge that you still moved a heck of a lot, you can use "cleaning, light, moderate effort" or "heavy, vigorous effort" (each between 400-500 calories burned for 180 minutes). Moving household items says burning anywhere between 900-1300 per 180 minutes, though, so I'm not sure where you got 2,000 from. Congratulations on the active day though! :)
  • laarae
    laarae Posts: 332 Member
    It's not exact but I would say that qualifies as cleaning-heavy
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    What did you use to record your calories? Which exercise? If you want to record a modest amount of exercise but acknowledge that you still moved a heck of a lot, you can use "cleaning, light, moderate effort" or "heavy, vigorous effort" (each between 400-500 calories burned for 180 minutes). Moving household items says burning anywhere between 900-1300 per 180 minutes, though, so I'm not sure where you got 2,000 from. Congratulations on the active day though! :)

If you look up moving, there is moving furniture which was 1793 for 3 hours and Moving boxes was 2092 for 3 hours. It is over 2600 for moving boxes upstairs! But obviously I was not only moving boxes upstairs for 3 hours.

In any case, I think that your idea with using heavy cleaning :)
  • cmacphee3

Also, i forgot to ask, could the calorie burn be so high for me because I'm set on sedentary and I'm a lot heavier than you maybe? Do they adjust burn for weight?
  • cmacphee3
    It's not exact but I would say that qualifies as cleaning-heavy

Yeah, at my weight it seems 3 hours of heavy cleaning is 896 calories burned, which is more reasonable than the 2062 it says I burned for moving boxes!