water fasting

so the other day i found a video on youtube about water fasting.. im just curious on your thoughts about it.. good idea/ bad idea... have any of you tried this? what were the results? it is said that water fasting detoxifies your body... what are the side effects?

Replies

• what is water fasting?
  • its were you go so long without eating or drinking anything except water.. it says it detoxes your body.. search for videos on youtube about it
  • joshkilborn
    joshkilborn Posts: 46 Member
    I think water fasting does more harm than good from a weight loss perspective. For one it will slow your metabolism down due to lack of caloric intake. Secondly, you will have less energy to be active because of not eating. You won't be getting the vital water soluble vitamins you need daily, like the B-complex group and vitamin C. Other types of vitamins are stored in fat in your body for later use. Lastly, you put yourself at a high risk of benge eating because of the fasting.

Just my $0.02.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    The liver detoxes the body - that's it's job. Completely depriving yourself of food seems ridiculous.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    If you are doing this for "detox" you would be better off eating organic vegetable salad and soup with psyllium seed husk and taking a multi-vitamin and mineral.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    The liver detoxes the body - that's it's job. Completely depriving yourself of food seems ridiculous.

Precisely. Your body detoxes itself every single day, there is no point in this.
  • Would you feed your children just water? You should not feed their mother just water either. Take one day at a time, exercise daily, eat within your calorie limits for YOUR body, and focus on health. You do not become overweight overnight and you cannot take it off safely overnight either.

Best wishes!

11613466.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • thanks for the feedback. so everyone thinkgs its stupid and pointless.. now is there anyone out there that has tried it and wants to share there story
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Your body needs fuel and nutrition. Why would you not want to give it what it needs?
  • Would you feed your children just water? You should not feed their mother just water either. Take one day at a time, exercise daily, eat within your calorie limits for YOUR body, and focus on health. You do not become overweight overnight and you cannot take it off safely overnight either.

Best wishes!
    yea thanks but i wasnt planning on doing this to lose weight.. thats stupid. lol im just curious about this.. i probably would never do this myself.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    How many days do you plan to fast? You should try intermittent fasting so that you actually have a set plan each week instead of fasting for multiple days on end.
  • harrietlg
    harrietlg Posts: 239
    just drink more water in general, 2 l of water a day is enough to keep you feeling good it clears out your bowels.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Dont know about water fasting but its sounds alot like intermitt fasting which can be done in a 16 to 24 hr fast and is very benefical!
  • positivepineapple
    positivepineapple Posts: 87 Member
    you are probably going to get a lot of negative responses on here..... Most people don't have any experience with it and are not educated about it. I have water fasted, I have also juice fasted or just ate fruit or just fruits and vegetables for an extended period of time with amazing results for certain heath problems I was having. Clear skin, perfect digestion, clear thinking, better mood afterwards, you just have to do your research and do it right. It does take a lot of will power though.

its incredibly healthy to give your liver and digestive system a rest... When the body isn't focused on digesting it turns its attention to getting rid of damaged and diseased tissues and cells, healing and cleansing toxins.

The liver can't filter out all the crap we breath in and drink, pesticides preservatives and artificial ingredients were not meant for our bodies and very unhealthy over the long term. Not to mention ever the counter and illegal drug, pollution in out air and water and all that.... Its not natural and our livers an only handle so much.

just make sure you do your own research, there's a few really good videos on YouTube of people who have done it.

also you might try googling banana island.... Pretty amazing stuff. Just keep an open mind and educate yourself....
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Yeah, I tried it when I was at the worst of my eating disorder. It is the stupidest thing that you could ever do to yourself.

@KellyBurton - No it's not like intermittent fasting. Water fasting is the complete restriction of food and calories and can last for up to 10 or 15 days.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    you are probably going to get a lot of negative responses on here..... Most people don't have any experience with it and are not educated about it. I have water fasted, I have also juice fasted or just ate fruit or just fruits and vegetables for an extended period of time with amazing results for certain heath problems I was having. Clear skin, perfect digestion, clear thinking, better mood afterwards, you just have to do your research and do it right. It does take a lot of will power though.

its incredibly healthy to give your liver and digestive system a rest... When the body isn't focused on digesting it turns its attention to getting rid of damaged and diseased tissues and cells, healing and cleansing toxins.

The liver can't filter out all the crap we breath in and drink, pesticides preservatives and artificial ingredients were not meant for our bodies and very unhealthy over the long term. Not to mention ever the counter and illegal drug, pollution in out air and water and all that.... Its not natural and our livers an only handle so much.

just make sure you do your own research, there's a few really good videos on YouTube of people who have done it.

also you might try googling banana island.... Pretty amazing stuff. Just keep an open mind and educate yourself....

You're full of it.
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Yeah, I tried it when I was at the worst of my eating disorder. It is the stupidest thing that you could ever do to yourself.

@KellyBurton - No it's not like intermittent fasting. Water fasting is the complete restriction of food and calories and can last for up to 10 or 15 days.

Oh my thats just plan crazy, I would never recommend anything like that.:noway:
  • you are probably going to get a lot of negative responses on here..... Most people don't have any experience with it and are not educated about it. I have water fasted, I have also juice fasted or just ate fruit or just fruits and vegetables for an extended period of time with amazing results for certain heath problems I was having. Clear skin, perfect digestion, clear thinking, better mood afterwards, you just have to do your research and do it right. It does take a lot of will power though.

great response thank you
  • Dont know about water fasting but its sounds alot like intermitt fasting which can be done in a 16 to 24 hr fast and is very benefical!
    what is this
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member

Juicing is not a true fast as Juicing is the same diet as being a Vegan. The only difference is one requires you to drink your food instead of eating it.

There are a lot of benefits to fasting but some of what you say sounds like a fairytale. Posting real fasting research from science journals can get your post some respect instead of making a wild claim with nothing to back you up.