I ran a half marathon today

_Amy_Budd
_Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
I ran a half marathon today. The whole thing. I've only ever completed a 10K race before, and I only got up to 7 miles in my training for this event before the summer heat and life's happy distractions derailed my training schedule. So I was definitely not conditioned for this, but I decided to participate and do my best, and probably walk a good deal of it.

At the start, I thought I'd run the first 5K or so, and then switch to run/walk intervals. Once I finished that distance, I decided to go a little further and shoot for 5 miles running. Then half the race. Then I thought I'd aim to best my previous longest run of 7 miles. Then I figured it would be awesome if I could run 10 miles. And then... I just decided that I was going for the whole damn thing.

My knee started to ache a bit around mile 5, and by mile 10 it was truly painful. But by then I was too close to give up, so I used the long-sleeved underarmour shirt that was tied around my waist as a knee brace, tied around my leg at the knee for some makeshift Macgyver'd support. And through sheer will and determination, I gritted my teeth and kept going, ignoring the pain as best as I could, and counting off the remaining miles.

When I came around the last curve and saw the finish line, I was surprised by how emotional I became. I started crying, and that's how the photographer snapped my image as I crossed the line - arms raised in triumph, my shirt wrapped around my knee, and tears on my cheeks. As soon as I'm able to order the photo, I'll post it here.

13.1 miles. Wow.

I guess I really *can* do anything I set my mind to. :)

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Congratulations!! What a great accomplishment for you!!

trophy_zps626e236e.gif
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Congrats! Way to push through!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Wow. If any story is inspirational, yours is.

YOU. ARE. AWESOME!

Thank you for sharing this and please do post that photo. I bet it's amazing.

This is the kind of thing that I read when I joined and it made me feel like I was able to get my body back. If it weren't for this sort of story, I wouldn't have. So I thank you!
  • aj11016
    aj11016 Posts: 65
    You are just AMAZING!!!!!
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    that is great! so happy for you!!
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Thinking about doing one in April...its been a few months since I have put shoes on! lol.
  • Great job!!!!! Remember your success when your having rough days, we tend to remember all the bad stuff we do so make sure you log that good feeling and keep it for rainy days.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    I get emotional just reading about it! Way to go! What determination! You *can* do anything you put your mind to....
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    ,....good 4 uuuu!!!!,u must be sooo happy!!!!
  • awilmeri
    awilmeri Posts: 218 Member
    So so awesome!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!