Food questions? Ask me anything

Replies

• bodyrollin
    bodyrollin Posts: 215 Member
    Hi !

Thanks for your help!

My problem concerns chicken breasts. I recently moved from having a gas stove (heaven!) to a ceramic stove and since then it's been a nightmare.

No matter if I grill, poach or cook the chicken breasts in sauce they come out completely hard and impossible to eat. What can I do?

Thanks a lot!!
    I'm assuming that you mean an electric stove, if so the easiest way to get adjusted is to use a probe thermometer, at least until you get adjusted to the temperature and cook time differences...take the chicken off the heat at 161 degrees, the residual heat should finish the chicken (reaching a final temp of 165) should be perfect every time...also consider brining some times...a proper brine can bring a lot of flavor to it and helps keep it extra moist.
  • charkane
    charkane Posts: 26 Member
    do u know a good recipe for yogurt and sugar free pudding? Thanks for you help!!
  • bodyrollin
    This is an awesome idea! I am a budding cook. I may be 37 but I started to learn how to cook a year ago. I only enjoy cooking on the weekend. I cook for the whole week (I'm by myself). So because i cook for the week, can you suggest some casserole type dishes that are low in fiber? The low fiber requirement is for medical purposes.
    low cal, or just low fiber?
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    nice idea ..... bumping for later read .....
  • bodyrollin
    do u know a good recipe for yogurt and sugar free pudding? Thanks for you help!!

Unfortunately I'm not great with desserts, I have a few, but it's not my field of expertise (or are you talking like UK pudding?)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I can't seem to not screw up meatloaf, the texture is always a bit mushy. Help please, thanks.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,545 Member
    Great idea!!!

I have a friend that gives me a ton of produce all summer long and I've been freezing and then going back to make/eat it later. Most things I'm really good with but I have too much of some things.

Right now I have a bunch of quart bags filled with yellow summer squash (sliced) and zucchini (cubed). I love those 2 things but rarely use them frozen (my fave zucchini is just raw with some dip). Any thoughts on the best things to cook with them or how to make them super tasty and low-ish calorie.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Whats the best way to cook flank steak on the stove top without it getting tough and dry? Tired of ruining my husbands carne asada
  • bodyrollin
    I can't seem to not screw up meatloaf, the texture is always a bit mushy. Help please, thanks.
    try dry oats instead of bread crumbs, or crackers...it helps absorb the moisture without becoming soggy itself...also for extra fat and awesome try lining your loaf pan with bacon strips, and then cross them over the top, essentially encasing the whole loaf in bacon, make the meat loaf ahead of time and allow it to cool to near room temperature this allows it to set up nice and firm. Then heat a grill pan up nice and hot, slice your meatloaf and put it on the grill pan, this will give it some nice marks, reheat it, and help some more with the mushiness.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    try dry oats instead of bread crumbs, or crackers...it helps absorb the moisture without becoming soggy itself...also for extra fat and awesome try lining your loaf pan with bacon strips, and then cross them over the top, essentially encasing the whole loaf in bacon, make the meat loaf ahead of time and allow it to cool to near room temperature this allows it to set up nice and firm. Then heat a grill pan up nice and hot, slice your meatloaf and put it on the grill pan, this will give it some nice marks, reheat it, and help some more with the mushiness.

This sounds great, thanks!
  • bodyrollin
    Great idea!!!

I have a friend that gives me a ton of produce all summer long and I've been freezing and then going back to make/eat it later. Most things I'm really good with but I have too much of some things.

Right now I have a bunch of quart bags filled with yellow summer squash (sliced) and zucchini (cubed). I love those 2 things but rarely use them frozen (my fave zucchini is just raw with some dip). Any thoughts on the best things to cook with them or how to make them super tasty and low-ish calorie.
    once they've been frozen it does take some of their structural integrity away but with the sliced squash, I'd make a nice southern squash, onion and cheese casserole, and with the zucchini the possibilities are just about endless, though I'd probably bread it and fry it on cheat day lol...other good usages would be sautee it with somr garlic, onion, and peeled stewed tomatoes then pour that over pasta with a fresh squeeze of lemon, and some fresh grated parmesan cheese for a sort of pasta primavera...also they could both be used in teppanyaki dishes.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Thank you for offering your services : )

I keep trying to make the cauliflower pizza crust recipe and have tried variations from less cheese to less eggs to using parchment paper.

Is this supposed to ever be a crispy crust and how can I accomplish that.

Thank you so much.
    Do you need something gluten free or are you just looking for a low cal crust? Because honestly the cauliflower crust sucks lol...I tried it the recommended way, and ten adapted what I know to make it better, and it was still only so/so...

Low cal - and it tastes delicious even when it's soggy.
  • bodyrollin
    Whats the best way to cook flank steak on the stove top without it getting tough and dry? Tired of ruining my husbands carne asada
    if it is properly sliced the only thing I can help with is to say that if you get the pan screaming hot befor you add the steak you should have it in and out of the pan in less than 5 minutes...for oil I'd use a mix of olive oil (for it's high heat tolerance) and butter (for its flavor and carmelization properties)
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    I am looking for a recipe for a protein shake without protein powder. However, all the recipes I seem to find include frozen fruit as a major ingredient. For medical reasons, I cannot have too much sugar, fruit, or soy. The sweetness of the dairy is enough sweetness for me from a taste standpoint, and I would consider using ingredients like unsweetened cocoa powder or vanilla extract for flavor.
  • charkane
    charkane Posts: 26 Member
    need ideas for low calorie dessert including these items...
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Hello

I quite fancy trying to make my own pizza. My question is, do I use tomato purée or something else tomato based to spread on the base? Also, I plan to load it up with veggies but do I put the veggies raw onto the pizza? This may sound daft but a typical pizza only cooks in the oven for about 10 mins so will that ensure the veggies/base cook properly?
    Thanks
  • bodyrollin
    Thank you for offering your services : )

I keep trying to make the cauliflower pizza crust recipe and have tried variations from less cheese to less eggs to using parchment paper.

Is this supposed to ever be a crispy crust and how can I accomplish that.

Thank you so much.
    Do you need something gluten free or are you just looking for a low cal crust? Because honestly the cauliflower crust sucks lol...I tried it the recommended way, and ten adapted what I know to make it better, and it was still only so/so...

Low cal - and it tastes delicious even when it's soggy.
    no the cauliflower crust tastes fine but if you can't pick it up, or fold it, it ain't pizza in my book lol...the best low cal pizza dough ive ever been able to make is just equal parts self rising flour, and plain Greek yogurt cover an allow to rise just like standard dough...lets say your measurements are a cup of each that's only 70 calories per slice (8 slices 18" pie) worth of crust, and you still get great pizza crust...hope this is helpful...it's a great way to cut calories without sacrificing quality.
  • bodyrollin
    I am looking for a recipe for a protein shake without protein powder. However, all the recipes I seem to find include frozen fruit as a major ingredient. For medical reasons, I cannot have too much sugar, fruit, or soy. The sweetness of the dairy is enough sweetness for me from a taste standpoint, and I would consider using ingredients like unsweetened cocoa powder or vanilla extract for flavor.
    your answer lies in plain Greek yogurt...that and fresh baby spinach, both are PACKED with protein, and have a neutral enough flavor to take on whatever other flavors you decide to use...
  • bodyrollin
    need ideas for low calorie dessert including these items...
    as I've said before I'm not much on sweets, so dessert is a bit outside my scope...however shaved ice with coconut milk, lemon juice , and some fresh pineapple makes for a great treat...other than that I'd say save your dessert craving for a cheat day and have something truly indulgent instead of having something mediocre that you can have on your diet...when I do get the occasional sweet craving I usually just have a banana with some chocolate PB2
    Sorry if this isn't as helpful as you'd hoped.
  • Evansmama29
    Evansmama29 Posts: 84 Member
    Thanks for this!! Bumping to come back to later.