Joining the gym.. how can I overcome my embarrassment??

I've been thinking of joining the gym for around a week now but I just feel like I'll hate it and not go as I am too big. I brought a gym kit and everything but now am having second thoughts as I feel like I'm too overweight. It's ridiculous I know, but I just can't help wanting to cry when I see myself in my gym clothes. I look 8 months pregnant! I would love to go though as I think I could get a much better workout than at home. Plus now I'm back at uni and many days I go out early and return home late and I just don't have the willpower to do anything when I get home.

I will be going to gym where I've been before, but last time I had my sister and a friend who also joined, this time I'll be doing it alone. Also, last time I was much lighter.

Replies

• bymyslf892
    bymyslf892 Posts: 114 Member
    I felt like this at first too but just remember everyone had to start somewhere. Nobody in that place was born with a rocking bod and to any of the people who judge you for being there, screw them. You are bettering yourself and you deserve that. Don't let anyone keep you from that. Keep your head high and go get that body you want!!
  • Well, first, like all red-blooded, eat-meating animals, the human must first display dominance in social situations. Walk in and just pee on the machine you want, the gym rats will see your alpha male dominance and bring you water bottles to appease you.

Just kidding.

If you want to get more fit, or lose fat, or whatever goal you have, it has to be based on you. Are you making excuses about feeling nervous around people? Or do you really feel nervous about them?

If it's the latter there are other things you can do. Fill up heavy water bottles and go walking in a well lit place will doing bicep curls. Go on youtube and find some exercise videos you like until you feel like you can exercise in front of other people. Get an iPod, walk in the that gym, and tune out all the others!

Each day you don't progress because of fear is another day that you've wasted. You can do this. Don't let anyone, including yourself, stop you.

You got this!
  • I know, I had belonged to a gym believe it or not, for 19 years before I really used my membership. The rest of my family used it, but it just wasn't for me. I finally got to the point where after dieting unsuccessfully for 19 years that I HAD to do something different. I bit the bullet and walked into of all things, a SPIN class! I honestly thought during the first 30 minutes of the class of every way imaginable that I could walk out and not embarrass myself, but I didn't do it. After 30 minutes, I got into that exercise "groove" and then POOF, the class was over and I DID it! I kept going back and back and now I do all kinds of classes there.

The other day, we were driving along and my extremely fit 16 yr. daughter saw an overweight man jogging and she said, "I love it when I see people like him jogging. If HE can do it, then that gives me motivation to keep going at track practice!" WHOAAAAA!!!! What!?

When I see overweight people at the gym and they are truly working to their best potential, they are an inspiration to me too. Nobody is perfect, we all have issues. Some people's issues are just more obvious than other people's. Go for it. Walk into a class, go back, go back again, and again, and again. You. Can. Do. It.
  • Don't worry about it. People are too wrapped up in themselves to even notice other people most of the time. In my life I've been very fat and very fit at times. When I was at my fittest I remember seeing an extremely overweight guy running the same outside circuit as me. I remember thinking at the time 'Well done you for trying to do something about your situation!' I imagine most other fit people would feel the same respect if they see someone exercising to change themselves.

Also, I joined a gym a couple of days ago and although my size didn't bother me in that situation, I noticed 3 out of the other 8 people in the gym were fatter than me. For the record I'm 16 stone (224lbs) and have around another 70lbs to lose. At my heaviest I was 21 stones (294lbs) and have exercised at gyms and outdoors at every stage in between then and my 'normal' body weight and have never received a comment or double-take look, or a s****** as far as I'm aware. Even if I did I wouldn't care. Anyone doing that must be incredibly shallow and not worth the energy of me caring.

Just go for it! After one or two visits I bet you won't even give it a second thought.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Your embarrassment is the reason you are going to the gym. Anyone there who judges you, well, they're not there for the right reason. The reason to go to a gym is to work out, get a healthy body, keep in shape. That is exactly the reason you are there. You are going for YOU, not for the other people there, and what they think DOES NOT MATTER.
  • Just noticed I've been censored for using a word that sounds like snicker but I spelt as - s+'theNword' lol. Note to the censors - I'm not a racist!
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Just go. The people in there are all trying to do the same thing as you. Who knows, some were probably in your situation at one point. I know I look a lot different than I did 70 lbs ago. Go and then go again tomorrow.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Use them as a motivation to workout hard so say in a year or whatever period of time you will be an inspiration to them, be that girl who came here and stuck with it and lost all that weight.

In reality most people don't really care, the ones who do, don't really matter. When I see bigger people in the GYM I normally get motivated, cause I know they have to work harder than me to do the same exercises and if they are still pushing, I have no excuse.
  • Syndri
    Syndri Posts: 46 Member
    The classes at the gym are full of people of all age, shape and size and people are too busy watching the Instructor to notice anyone else. Select a class that you think looks fun and go for it. If you do feel that anyone else is looking at you, so what? You're doing something for your health so balls to what other people think. Good luck
  • If more out of shape people would just go to the gym, it would be easier for out of shape people to go to the gym! No matter what shape you're in, if you pay your membership fees you have as much right to be there as anyone else. You might be surprised to find out that at least some of the superfit people you'll see milling around didn't start out that way AND they will be glad to offer you encouragement, advice, and friendship. This is your life, your health, and your future. If going to the gym is what you think you need, then go for it!
  • rizzaG
    rizzaG Posts: 110
    Your embarrassment is the reason you are going to the gym. Anyone there who judges you, well, they're not there for the right reason. The reason to go to a gym is to work out, get a healthy body, keep in shape. That is exactly the reason you are there. You are going for YOU, not for the other people there, and what they think DOES NOT MATTER.

EXACTLY
  • Jimmytreatingtons
    Jimmytreatingtons Posts: 128 Member
    I've been thinking of joining the gym for around a week now but I just feel like I'll hate it and not go as I am too big. I brought a gym kit and everything but now am having second thoughts as I feel like I'm too overweight. It's ridiculous I know, but I just can't help wanting to cry when I see myself in my gym clothes. I look 8 months pregnant! I would love to go though as I think I could get a much better workout than at home. Plus now I'm back at uni and many days I go out early and return home late and I just don't have the willpower to do anything when I get home.

I will be going to gym where I've been before, but last time I had my sister and a friend who also joined, this time I'll be doing it alone. Also, last time I was much lighter.

Seriously, don't worry about it! Like others have said on here, we all had to start somewhere. Most of the people in the gym won't care. Just focus on you and what you are doing. You're not doing it for them.

I think you are great for getting back to it. Stay positive, focused and Go burn them calories!! You can do it!
  • Most people are either worried about how they are being viewed, their own workout or some combo of both. Those who are looking and making judgement on you are very very few and are acting on their own insecurities. They don't like the way you workout or look like when you workout, remember this, they didn't give you a Christmas card last year, they aren't going to give you one this year, so why should you care about them?
  • I was too embarrassed to go to the rec center at the school where I work. I had go to two yoga classes, but I would never go into the area where the machines are. Last week, I was so stressed out that I made myself go.
    It was not awful like I thought it would be. I got on a recumbent bike and rode it for 30 minutes. Yesterday, I was in a lousy mood, so I went to the gym and rode an exercise bike for 45 minutes. The time flew by. After I was finished with the bike, I wanted to do some stretches, so I asked some girls where they got their mats. They were very polite. I am going back to the gym today to go swimming and for my yoga class. As others have mentioned, people are there to exercise. The majority of people are on some sort of schedule, so they have to make the best use of their time.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Just go do it! To be successful in this journey I truly believe you need to start to care about yourself more than any other person and prioritize doing the things that will help you succeed. For possibly the very first time put yourself and your needs first! Next, understand that no one at a gym is focused on you only themselves so you can stop stressing. You will earn respect from other gym members who see you come and work hard and begin to get results. Just do it and ask the gym staff for help in you're efforts. :wink: good luck!
  • Well, first, like all red-blooded, eat-meating animals, the human must first display dominance in social situations. Walk in and just pee on the machine you want, the gym rats will see your alpha male dominance and bring you water bottles to appease you.

Funniest damn thing I've ever read on a MFP post, NICE!
  • homegirl614
    homegirl614 Posts: 93 Member
    At the gym I go to, I go during several different times of the day and I have yet to see anyone who is bigger than me that works out there.It does make me feel a certain way. When I work out with my trainer, I do see other people staring at me and sometimes I do want to quit the gym because I don't like people judging me. But what keeps me going is when I'm working out with the trainer and I do exercises that are extremely difficult for me, i usually have other people tell me that I'm doing a good job or to keep working hard. That motivates me and I ignore the other people who are judging. Don't worry about anyone else. Go to the gym to work on your goals and focus on that and forget the other stuff. Good luck to you!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Just go. You are there for you and none of the other people. When they appear to be looking at you they are probably looking at the TV or mirror behind you! Occasionally there are a-holes who say rude things, just realize that that is the kind of person who also kicks puppies. Not worth the worry. Most people who do notice you are going to be thinking, "good for her!"
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    You just need to get over yourself and go. Everyone has to start somewhere, so grow some balls and walk in that gym like you own the place. I was scared when I joined last year too, but if I let my fears defeat me, I would still be sitting here today crying about being fat. I go before work, and there is hardly anyone there. You might want to consider going during off hours so you feel more confident. When you decide to take that big step, do it with confidence. If you don't know what you're doing, fake it til you make it. And please don't be a cardio only bunny. Give the weights a go! You'll see more progress with weights than you will with cardio only. Trust me on this, I've been there and done that, and now I know better.
  • BosBruin5
    BosBruin5 Posts: 52 Member
    I love my gym. I really don't think anyone is there to judge. We're all just trying to get in shape and we all have to start somewhere. When I spend any time looking at other people working out, it's to get some new ideas to incorporate into my own workout. Just another reason to go.....