How many cals should I eat to get my metabolism back?

I've been crash dieting for the last 6 months, eating around 500 calories or less a day or not eating at all. I lost weight only to put it on again, so I actually weigh the same as when I started. I've realised now that crash dieting doesn't work but my metabolism is very slow. If I eat more than the low amounts I have been eating I gain weight. I've read it takes 4-6 weeks for your metabolism to recover, but I'm wondering if I should be eating 1200 calories for this time or my maintenance calories of 1440? Thank you for any help. :)

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    I think you should talk to a professional and maybe even have your metabolism checked, but without professional help, I would not jump from 500 to 1440 calories all at once. Try adding calories back in chunks to get to 1440 in a month or two. Maybe add 250 calories at the time? That will slow the weight gain, at least, but you are going to gain at least some of the weight back. That's why most people here are against eating too few calories. It's not a lifestyle you can sustain over time.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    It isn't calories that will reset your metabolism, it's protein. Eat a high protein, low carb diet for 3 days. Drink 80oz of water well spaced. Choose lean meats, fresh meats, not from the deli which are loaded with sodium. Do not eat pork meats either as they're high in sodium as well. You should see a nice drop in weight and after 3 days, eat a well balanced diet of 1200 cals.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    I've been crash dieting for the last 6 months, eating around 500 calories or less a day or not eating at all. I lost weight only to put it on again, so I actually weigh the same as when I started. I've realised now that crash dieting doesn't work but my metabolism is very slow. If I eat more than the low amounts I have been eating I gain weight. I've read it takes 4-6 weeks for your metabolism to recover, but I'm wondering if I should be eating 1200 calories for this time or my maintenance calories of 1440? Thank you for any help. :)
    Hello,
    This is what I would do.
    Start ramping up your cals, logging your food.
    Maybe add 100-200 cals every couple of days until you get to 1200 cals?
    Then hold it there for a bit.
    Use your energy to get in some good strong workouts...don't over-do.
    Make sure to take your rest days....I'd take at least two of No-Workout rest days.
    Let go of the scale....just let your body heal and rebalance.
    Do a check in day before you start, taking pics, measuring and weighing yourself, and noting how your clothing fit.
    Check-in every thirty days with pics and measurements.
    Give yourself a good 3 months to totally stabilize, knowing that you are doing good things for your health and fitness.
    Add in some more cals, until you get to a 10% deficit, or maintainance, whichever is appropriate.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    please see this group

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less

they have tons of threads about resetting your metabolism.

good luck, and glad you realized the healthy way to weight loss:flowerforyou:
  • kskroch
    kskroch Posts: 288 Member
    If you are on any very low calorie program(sub 1200), your metabolism will be suppressed for an extended period of time (years and some say will never go back). Even a year later my dietitian tells me to subtract 20 percent of the normal calorie goal calculations: so my calorie target is in the 1500's not the 1800 as it would be normally for a man my age/size.

Sub 1200 can be done, but there are risks and is dangerous for an extended period of time even for a 'healthy' person - shouldn't be attempted without your doctor being aware and monitoring your health and blood work. And also to help you climb back out of it.
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    It isn't calories that will reset your metabolism, it's protein. Eat a high protein, low carb diet for 3 days. Drink 80oz of water well spaced. Choose lean meats, fresh meats, not from the deli which are loaded with sodium. Do not eat pork meats either as they're high in sodium as well. You should see a nice drop in weight and after 3 days, eat a well balanced diet of 1200 cals.

Love this advice!!!!!! Question how many carbs should a person have? I have read for optimal weight loss keep it under 70 grms. I know mfp sets carbs crazy high. I am currently 209.6 lbs, and I started from 286.2 lbs in January. I have been doing high protein, low carb and water as well. But just looking for advice about how much carbs are needed/required, ect.

Thanks.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    You're currently at a healthy weight, looking to become underweight. Please seek professional medical help.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    You're currently at a healthy weight, looking to become underweight. Please seek professional medical help.
    THIS
  • You're currently at a healthy weight, looking to become underweight. Please seek professional medical help.
    THIS

I can second this after seeing their tumblr.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Your goal weight is 90 LBS??????

You are on the wrong website. We do not promote eating disorders here.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Yes, this.
  • tinytemple
    tinytemple Posts: 87 Member
    II've realised now that crash dieting doesn't work [...] I'm wondering if I should be eating 1200 calories for this time or my maintenance calories of 1440? Thank you for any help. :)

Give her a break! She's looking for help and support!

I am 21, exactly your height and sw and I completely understand your frustration as i have been through the same starve/gain it back story.

I have had great success with high protein, high (good) fats and low carb - no added sugars. (I follow a primal way of eating).
    Although it's hard I would also suggest putting the scales away for a month.. honestly if you really want to get to a point where you feel confident in what you are eating then they are no good, use a tape measure instead!
  • JesterMFP
    II've realised now that crash dieting doesn't work [...] I'm wondering if I should be eating 1200 calories for this time or my maintenance calories of 1440? Thank you for any help. :)

Give her a break! She's looking for help and support!

I am 21, exactly your height and sw and I completely understand your frustration as i have been through the same starve/gain it back story.

I have had great success with high protein, high (good) fats and low carb - no added sugars. (I follow a primal way of eating).
    Although it's hard I would also suggest putting the scales away for a month.. honestly if you really want to get to a point where you feel confident in what you are eating then they are no good, use a tape measure instead!
    Nobody should be supporting her to become an unhealthy weight. Encouraging her to do so unhelpful at best.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Nobody should be supporting her to become an unhealthy weight. Encouraging her to do so unhelpful at best.

This.

I'm thrilled that you've realized that 500 calories is bad for you. But you've been on a very dangerous path, and if the images in your tumblr are how you really feel, you need more than a forum of strangers can provide. My heart aches for you.

I'm not saying, "get help" to be flippant or mean. I'm saying it because I hate seeing people in pain. There is no shame at all in seeking help. I've needed help before, too. I'm sure I'll need it again.

You've already showing you have strength because you know you have to repair your metabolism. Show more strength and bravery by getting the right kind of support. :flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

Love this advice!!!!!! Question how many carbs should a person have? I have read for optimal weight loss keep it under 70 grms. I know mfp sets carbs crazy high. I am currently 209.6 lbs, and I started from 286.2 lbs in January. I have been doing high protein, low carb and water as well. But just looking for advice about how much carbs are needed/required, ect.

Thanks.

Unfortunately it's total misinfromation. Protein nor any other macronutrient does not increase your metabolism. To the OP, unfortunalty, the metabolic adaptations you caused by eating a vary low calorie diet for an extended period of time may be fairly permanent. That is one of the risks of pursueing this strategy. You need to get medical advice and not search for anwers on an internet forum.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member

I completely disagree. Food is for fuel. Protein in particular for muscle building and not directly related to speeding up one's metabolism. Your metabolism is based on how active you are in a day and not how much you eat. If your metabolism is based on how much food you ate, people who eat fast food daily would never be fat. The symptoms of a very low cal diet are very well known and there's only two. The first one is being tired and the second is feeling grouchy or irritable. Feeling tired makes you less active for the entire day and when you are less active, your body will burn less calories. In order for her to increase her metabolism, she will first need to be more active and in order to be fuel her activity she needs to eat something that can be used as fuel asap. The fastest and best source of energy that she can receive for energy is eating fruits with sugar in it like apples, oranges, or bananas.

Thanks.

Unfortunately it's total misinfromation. Protein nor any other macronutrient does not increase your metabolism. To the OP, unfortunalty, the metabolic adaptations you caused by eating a vary low calorie diet for an extended period of time may be fairly permanent. That is one of the risks of pursueing this strategy. You need to get medical advice and not search for anwers on an internet forum.

I agree on the protein and disagree that her metabolism is damaged as there are no known metabolism destroying diseases associated with eating a very low calorie diet. I'm not referring to Anorexia as that is a mental disorder. I'm referring to real metabolism destroying diseases directly relating to the amount of food you eat such as Type 2 diabetes, Heart Disease, and High Cholesterol. Type 2 diabetes literally mean that your body can not utilize sugar anymore, as in a truly destroyed metabolism. There are no known diseases associated with eating a low calorie diet, only eating more.
  • It isn't calories that will reset your metabolism, it's protein. Eat a high protein, low carb diet for 3 days. Drink 80oz of water well spaced. Choose lean meats, fresh meats, not from the deli which are loaded with sodium. Do not eat pork meats either as they're high in sodium as well. You should see a nice drop in weight and after 3 days, eat a well balanced diet of 1200 cals.

HUH?!? Please cite a reference for this claim.
  • You should really see a doctor. I mean that in the most supportive of ways. It sounds like you're suffering from an eating disorder and really should seek the support of a professional.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,937 Member

I completely disagree. Food is for fuel. Protein in particular for muscle building and not directly related to speeding up one's metabolism. Your metabolism is based on how active you are in a day and not how much you eat. If your metabolism is based on how much food you ate, people who eat fast food daily would never be fat. The symptoms of a very low cal diet are very well known and there's only two. The first one is being tired and the second is feeling grouchy or irritable. Feeling tired makes you less active for the entire day and when you are less active, your body will burn less calories. In order for her to increase her metabolism, she will first need to be more active and in order to be fuel her activity she needs to eat something that can be used as fuel asap. The fastest and best source of energy that she can receive for energy is eating fruits with sugar in it like apples, oranges, or bananas.

Thanks.

I agree on the protein and disagree that her metabolism is damaged as there are no known metabolism destroying diseases associated with eating a very low calorie diet. I'm not referring to Anorexia as that is a mental disorder. I'm referring to real metabolism destroying diseases directly relating to the amount of food you eat such as Type 2 diabetes, Heart Disease, and High Cholesterol. Type 2 diabetes literally mean that your body can not utilize sugar anymore, as in a truly destroyed metabolism. There are no known diseases associated with eating a low calorie diet, only eating more.

You might want to reread my post. I didn't say anything about a disease or a destroyed metabolism. It 's pretty commonly accepted that after an extended period of time on a VLCD the metabolism will downregulate to adapt to intake. Also there are hormonal adaptations. These adaptations can be fairly permanent. See the 6thdpost in this thread and that poster's experience.

Edited to add: it's the 6th post in this thread I'm refering to.
  • JesterMFP
    No one's trying to make you feel bad, so I'm sorry you feel that. Honestly, the pictures you have on your tumblr are quite disturbing, and I say that as someone who has had those kinds of issues in the past, so I understand more than you probably think. I really hope you can get some help. :flowerforyou: