Cleaning. Do you or don't you log it and why?

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Um, no...
  • Im a security officer and I walk sometimes 5 miles a night but I dont log it because my body is used to it and so I am not getting much benefit other than at least being active.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    General household cleaning (scrubbing the bathroom, vacuuming, dishes, etc), no. I typically do some of that every day so it's part of my normal activity level. Major cleaning (cleaning out the garage, cleaning the roof and gutters of all the tree debris that collects, etc.) and mowing the lawn / yardwork that is once every week or two, that I will log. I've even worn my HRM while pushing the lawn mower to compare against the MFP database (MFP entry is absurdly high).
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    I only count "real" exercise. I don't really sweat during cleaning, especially because I clean a bit every day and don't have those huge once-a-week-five-hours cleaning days, where I assume you really get a bit of cardio. :ohwell:

I also would never count walks with dogs etc. like others do, but I think that's everybody's own choice.
    I personally just don't feel comfortable logging such things, it makes me feel as if I cheat... :laugh:

what?!?! i burned 800 calories today on TWO ONE HOUR dog walk/light jogs.. me and my dog are both toast..
    and I have an HRM...
    so def not a 'cheat' to count dog walkin.. smh
  • Nope. There's a difference between physical activity and exercise.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Not at alll because I doubt if my heart rate is getting high enough where I am burning that many calories to log.
  • no, no real reason.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Yeah, I think logging things like cleaning and walking dogs or whatever just sets you up for failure. MFP overestimates calories burned anyway so if you log every little physical activity you do, plus eat those 'exercise calories' back, you're not going to lose, and you may even gain.

I personally only log what I set out to do as exercise. If I clean, I just count it as a little bonus like someone else said. :)

I don't consider myself a failure at all. I lost 70 pounds before I was bowled over with heath issues. I am recovering from cancer and radiation, and cleaning is a challenge for me. Don't judge others by your standards unless you've walked in their shoes. I'm proud to say I lost 70 pounds and I'm a cancer survivor.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I'd count it if I was on my hands and knees scrubbing. Otherwise, it seems like a normal daily activity that's probably already included in the MFP calorie intake calculations.
  • Yes and No.

No I don't log cleaning when it's just picking up after myself as I go through the house. It's not really anything strenous.
    I log cleaning when I sweep the carpetted stairs (Anyone who says that's not a work out is mad!!!), wash the windows or anything that is a concerted effort and differs from the normal clean as I go routine.

Exactly! I only log it if it's continuous cleaning for an hour + and I'm working up a sweat. Tonight, I logged it. It's not something I would do on a normal, clean-up after my family kind of day. And I do believe walking is great exercise - with or without your dog. It's actually better for your body than jogging/running.
  • navywife5810
    navywife5810 Posts: 63 Member
    i do because being injured prevents me from doing much else. i get physical therapy twice a week & that's about it.
    since i started logging cleaning & cooking & other things ppl may find silly, i haven't gained. my weight loss definitely slowed, but i'm still losing.
    i guess part of it also has to do with me wearing ankle weights so 10 extra lbs on each leg while i wobble my way around my house takes a lot of effort.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Hell no! Personally, I think it's silly. I walk at least 3 miles every day in my job and burn a number of calories. I don't log them. I don't comment on posts that show a 'cleaning' burn either. Same goes for yard work.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    I set MPF to active to account for my daily housework (We are a family of 5 so all I seem to do on my days off is clean/iron/cook/clean some more) and cover the days I work (in kindergarten chasing little kids all day). So generally I don't log house cleaning even though one of my days off per week is spent scrubbing the house top to bottom and that takes between 4 and 5 hours of full on cleaning. I do log it if I do something extra like cleaning all the windows inside and out because that is a workout. I see it as I earned a banana to snack on during it.

I also don't log my gardening/yard work as a general rule although I did log it the other day as I prepared the ground and laid 20 square metres (about 215 square feet) of roll on turf in the yard for my beagles to play on.

Oh and I DO log my dog walks - we have 2 lively beagles that I walk both at the same time on a split lead set up and let me tell you, that is one serious workout!
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    I haven't read the whole thread so if I am inturrupting a debate I am sorry.

I only log cleaning when I actually clean the whole house, which to be honest isn't all that often. Between 2 small children, shift work and rarely seeing my husband, cleaning is way down on my priority list. The dishes are done daily along with picking up all the toys and clutter but true cleaning is maybe once a month. The bathroom gets a quick rubdown weekly but other than that, it can wait. I do spend a good 4 hours cleaning my house but I generally only log an hour or two. Many breaks are taken so I can deal with whatever arguement has come up between my 4yo and 2yo boys. :laugh:
  • Never... I see it as trying to make an excuse to eat more. If I need extra calories that bad I can go for a walk/run/swim first.
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Weekends only when I do a two hour burst of vacuming and mopping floors etc. Otherwise no I count it as just part of normal daily activity and dont log it.

I wouldnt want to fall in to the trap of logging every movement when my profile already accounts for a cetain calorie burn for general daily living.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    generally I wouldnt one day just for the hell of it I put on my heart rate monitor I was cleaning out rooms changing bed scrubbing bathrooms ect I was suprisede to see Id burnt 500 cals in 2 hours but usually I wouldnt bother!
  • No I don't log it because it isn't exercise. My question is: do you do it just to burn calories or to simply clean your place? The purpose of the task seems to be detracted away from what it's really supposed to do. I find it silly to log it, just my opinion.

Also, the daily activity is already included in the calories provided.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    I don't. I cleaned my house before and I got fat, why would I log it in as my workout? It didn't do any good before! :wink:

^^^^^^^ THIS!!

Very good point.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Yeah, I think logging things like cleaning and walking dogs or whatever just sets you up for failure. MFP overestimates calories burned anyway so if you log every little physical activity you do, plus eat those 'exercise calories' back, you're not going to lose, and you may even gain.

I personally only log what I set out to do as exercise. If I clean, I just count it as a little bonus like someone else said. :)

I don't consider myself a failure at all. I lost 70 pounds before I was bowled over with heath issues. I am recovering from cancer and radiation, and cleaning is a challenge for me. Don't judge others by your standards unless you've walked in their shoes. I'm proud to say I lost 70 pounds and I'm a cancer survivor.

I dont think the person was calling you a failure at all...they said it sets you up to fail...very different. There was no judging either, just giving their opinion on the matter like the creator of the thread asked for. If they were telling you this then that would be different.