Weight loss with PCOS

Hi! i am excited about this program and I look forward to losing more weight. My name is Melissa Wilson and I am 25 years old. I am from North Carolina. I am married with three children and after having my last child I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. PCOS means you have cysts on your ovaries which interferes with your hormones, weight and gives you a higher risk of heart disease and diabetes. When I started trying to lose weight in February of this year I weighed 280. I now weight 258 which is a 22 lb weight loss. Another issue with this is that it is harder to lose weight. I am looking to lose 1.5 lbs a week and I am beyond ready to retrieve my old body back and just be healthy. I am also looking forward to meeting new people in the process!

:smile:

Replies

• LoyalAngel16
    LoyalAngel16 Posts: 186 Member
    Hi Melissa. I also have PCOS and at the same weight as you right now. It is harder to lose but it can happen. You can add me if you like.
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    I also have PCOS. Just started my weight loss journey about a month ago. When you say that it is harder to lose weight, may I ask what exactly you mean? I am wondering what kind of battle I need to prepare for :/
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Hi I'm Amy, I'm 40 years old, and was diagnosed with PCOS about 12 years ago. In terms of what makes it harder to lose weight, there have been numerous studies that have found a correlation between PCOS and Insulin Resistance. They are not sure which one causes the other, but there is some sort of relationship. As a result, for people with PCOS, they tend to not be able to process carbs and sugars as easily as other people. If you eat a diet high in carbs (even one that is low calorie) the weight may come off slower.

For me (and I am not a doctor nor do I tell anyone else how they should or should not go about their own lifestyle choices) I have found that the best way for me to lose weight is to essentially eat like I am a diabetic. I have been eating this way for the last year and have had very successful results (92 pounds and counting!)

Please feel free to add me as a friend because I am new to this site and LOVE the moral support. If anyone is more interested in the way that I eat feel free to ask.
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    PCOS sufferer here too. I hate how the symptons mean I have to put in 200% in order to lose a couple pounds a week, when some weeks I am so drained that I barely have enough energy to put in 100%...

Feel free to add me! I believe the more friends on my list, the better...on MFP the support is always needed.

Disclaimer: Just so noone feels ignored by me...I don't answer every single friend's statuses but I am still here watching and supporting and following your triumphs and tribulations :-)
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    I have pcos as well and was diagnosed as insulin resistant a few years ago. I've found taking a magnesium supplement, sticking to high protein and low GI foods the most effective thing so far. Avoiding soy proteins, and white flour and sugar helps too.

edited to add- forgot to say feel free to add me, =)
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Hey ladies!! Fellow pcoser here too!! Feel free to add me, we all know what a PAIN in the butt this is, having supportive buddies that understand helps :)
  • I also have PCOS & so far have lost 75lbs. Feel free to add me :)
  • thoseblueeyes
    thoseblueeyes Posts: 812 Member
    Hi I also have PCOS. You are right weight comes off slower but that is okay, slow and steady is the way to do it. There will be days that you will want to throw your arms up and say I give up when you see .2 weight loss. Just remember tomorrow always come and you can either be .2 lighter or not cuz you threw your hands up.... Just remember you can do this and you will do it. You are doing this more for your health. I am excited for you and can't wait to hear about your sucess.
  • TheMoxieMama
    TheMoxieMama Posts: 17 Member
    I also have PCOS. It does make it more difficult--but success is possible. That it takes so long to lose a dang pound makes me much less likely to let that pound climb back on due to being careless with tracking my food, etc.

Thanks for posting!
  • I have PCOS too! I am 27 years old and was diagnosed at 17 when my "TOM" stopped for 2 years suddenly. I was about 215 then and lost 35lbs and was taken off of the Glucophage I was put on because of insulin resistance (hypoglycemic). I've been a member of MFP since August 22(ish) because I'm trying to lose the weight I put on from pregnancy (my son is now 2 *rolls eyes*) and I've lost 15lbs since. I notice I lose like 2/3lbs one week and the next couple of weeks it's only like half a pound or so...it's tough but since I started working out I've noticed a big difference.
  • Hi ladies :) PCOS too, with insulin resistance. I don't suffer as badly as some women, my only issues being absent periods and awful weight gain/inability to lose weight. Thankfully I don't suffer from acne, hair growth, hair loss on my head, or some of the other lousy side effects. From February of 2012 through July of 2012 I was able to lose a little over 40 pounds! The past few months I have not been as diligent as I had been and am trying my best to get back on track. Please add me..I love having new MFP friends to support and who can support me as well!
  • misskariw
    misskariw Posts: 171 Member
    This syndrome is MEAN ain't she girls? I hate it. I think about it every day. I'm finally trying to do something about it. I read something about how because of PCOS our bodies chemicals are already way out of whack. Insulin , more prone to depression, testosterone in places where it doesn't belong, etc... Therefore, the more you can avoid chemicals in your foods and eat whole food, the better. I switched oatmeal brands this week to one with less unpronouncables in the ingredients list. I try to avoid McDonald's altogether. Switched from "flavored" cooking spray to olive oil or canola oil. Switched from cow's milk (hormones, steroids, antibiotics) to almond milk. I'm buying more fresh produce than canned or frozen. I'm not saying you have to go all organic, all the time. For most of us, that's just not practical at all. But, cutting the "fake food" is important I think. Otherwise, steering away from white bread, white pasta, white rice is probably a good idea. And logging your food & exercise here will help, too!
  • shantiface
    shantiface Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you all for sharing your progress - it's actually SUCH an inspiration b/c some days I just don't even think it's possible :)
  • melissawilson21
    melissawilson21 Posts: 74 Member
    Hi everyone!!!! Sorry it has taken me so long to respond, I have been extremely busy these past few days with the kids and a birthday party and working overtime. I also just moved into my new home and we have been here for three weeks now and I have been looking around for some inspirational posters for my office since I work from home. I found my Rosie the Reveter poster in quote "We can do it!".. I love things like this, I love how it shows that women are just as strong! I really appreciate the support and the inspirational stories you all have posted, I enjoy reading things like this and it brings me a lot of hope that if others can do this, I CAN TOO! I am still about the same weight, I ate a little more than I should have this weekend but I am going to straighten up this week and get back on track. I was wondering, does stress and being tired make you eat more or less? I feel that certain kinds of stress makes me eat more but then like the 'busy' type stress makes me eat less (I eat healthier during this time really). I was also wondering if any of you are doing any specific exercises? Thanks for any help!

Miss Melissa
  • melissawilson21
    Hi once again,

I also wanted to mention what I have been taking which has helped me some. I have been taking Green Coffee Bean Extract, fiber pills. I keep my weight balanced and it also helps me kick it up a notch as far as metabolism goes and it is natural.
  • Hey Melissa and gals! I too have PCOS, im 32 5'10 and currently 230 (245 3 weeks ago) but it can be conquered! Just stick with your personal goals, be strong, and it will come off before you know it. With me it was evil evil carbs.but anywho as far as emotional eating goes, when I was stressed and it depended what I was stressed with I ate less as well. Depression is when I feel you eat more of course due to those endorphins your brain loves so much. I notice when I'm off work there are extra things that like to slip in and when I'm at work I do not think twice about cravings. Keeping yourself busy I think goes a long way. I even crouched a king size blanket to keep my mind off of food that I did not need to be thinking about. Being tired I think just doesn't phase me either way. Feel free to friend me, I've had this app for ages it seems and just started doing something about it 3 weeks ago. That goes for anyone! Keep up the fab work ladies we can so do this!
  • Hi,

I was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance when I was 17 and have struggled with my weight for a while now. I'm sticking to a low GI diet and exercising as much as possible to get down to a healthy weight. Feel free to add me :)
  • melissawilson21
    Hi!
    First, how do you add friends on here? I am still new to this thing..lol.
    Second, I made a new goal and reward for my weight loss. I am thinking that if I can get the rest of the weight off of me..I may go back and get a tubal reversal and have another baby. My son is really wanting a baby brother and my husband is wanting one too..and maybe me too. I want to get some things squared away before I even think about reversing anything and then once I get that done I will go for it. Does anyone have any rewards or anything they they are looking forward to when losing their weight? I know we should really celebrate since it is more of a fight with our case. thanks so much for responding to this board!

Melissa
  • First, how do you add friends on here? I am still new to this thing..lol.

Click on the person's user name under their picture, then click the green add friend button.

Feel free to add me as well everyone!
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Hi ladies... I am also a PCOSer, and I'm trying to get down to a healthy weight, but often the scale just goes in the wrong direction... I'd love some more friends who are in the same boat, so please feel free to add me!