i want 6-pack abs. tell me what i need to do.

so i've searched the forum here and all of you ripped people say it comes down to lowering BF%, eating clean and doing core work.

1) what is "eating clean" exactly? no processed foods? no high GI foods? please explain.
2) i am just under 20% body fat. i've read that i need to get down to 15-17%. is this true? (i am female...see profile pic)
3) i already have slight definition but now i need the muscle "cubes" to show.

here is my current workout routine...please feel free to constructively criticize:

M/W/Sat - 45min strength training (i am lifitng heavy and following the strong lifts 5x5 model)
T/Th/Fr - Jillian Michaels 30DS and 25minute HIIT session on my treadmill
Sundays - super easy 2hr hike...more like wandering around aimlessly. i try to take it easy on sundays as this is my rest day.

for two weeks now, i've been eating at TDEE-15% which puts me at 1700 calories a day. i get in no less than 100g of protein on a daily basis (i weigh 125lbs, 5'6"). before that, i made the mistake of only eating 1200 calories a day thinking it would get me somewhere.

i'd appreciate any advice and guidance anyone can give. thanks in advance.

Replies

• kentmac
    kentmac Posts: 101 Member
    Honestly it sounds like you're doing everything right... just give it time!

1) Eat mostly unprocessed, whole foods. Veggies, meat, some fruit, few starches. Generally speaking, as long as your macros are lining up, you can eat anything you want, "clean" or otherwise, but by emphasizing whole foods it's way easier to eat to satiety without going over.
    2) Yeah, 15-17% is around where most women can see their abs.
    3) The cubes will come...

Keep doing stronglifts! Squats and deadlifts are two of the best core exercises out there.

You might want to add some core work if abs are your main goal. Hanging leg raises, ab rollers, and planks are great. Don't waste time with crunches.

Also, don't be afraid to eat a bit more! You're already quite lean (you look great, by the way,) so by eating a bit more and fueling your body, you'll be better able to build up some muscle... 1700 is a good place to start, but on strength training days, you might consider adding a bit more carbs post workout to aid in recovery.

Best of luck!
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    thanks! i forgot to add...yes i do planks and hanging leg raises. i'll bump those up a bit more or maybe do more reps. and i love to eat so i guess i'll eat more on strength training days! yipee!!

now i guess it just comes down to consistency and patience.
  • cnondo
    cnondo Posts: 1
    I am a mother who gave birth a year ago and still look a bit fat, well fat period. I weigh 80kg and terrified of scales because theyu depress me.

What can i do to lose weight and let it stay off.

I have been doing gym 5 days a week with intense work out for the opast month now. I have also started swimming in the morning.

I just found out that i don't eat enough.What should i do to get to 60 kg if possible at all.

I am 1.6 m tall

Do you have to eat even though you are full? I made a smoothie today lasting me the whole day and had tuna salad big enough for a male.

Please advise
  • p90x ab ripper X
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    You may get to the point where your BF% is where you want it and your abs still are not looking the way you imagined. You will then need to add muscle, which means a caloric surplus. This is the bulk / cut cycle you hear about when discussing bodybuilding.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Look through my profile photos. You will see how big I was before, and will see my abs now. I do have the cubes, but am at 18.9% body fat. So...that tells you you don't need to be at 15-17%.

I did:

30-Day Shred (every day for 30 days straight)
    No More Trouble Zones (4 days a week for 40 days)
    6-Pack in 6-Weeks (for 6 weeks 3 days a week with weight lifting 3 days a week)

Now I follow "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", and do heavy lifting 3 days a a week, and Core Fusion Pilates 3 days a week (it's a 50 minute video). I also do a lot of Swiss ball exercises and planks.

Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I would say continue what you're donig
  • flynnfinn
    Look through my profile photos. You will see how big I was before, and will see my abs now. I do have the cubes, but am at 18.9% body fat. So...that tells you you don't need to be at 15-17%.

I did:

30-Day Shred (every day for 30 days straight)
    No More Trouble Zones (4 days a week for 40 days)
    6-Pack in 6-Weeks (for 6 weeks 3 days a week with weight lifting 3 days a week)

Now I follow "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", and do heavy lifting 3 days a a week, and Core Fusion Pilates 3 days a week (it's a 50 minute video). I also do a lot of Swiss ball exercises and planks.

Good luck!

i've seen your post on your 30DS results! amazing! i'll look into 6w6p...that sounds like it's up my alley. thanks!
  • flynnfinn

ok...can't argue with someone who looks like that! nice profile pic. i will keep doing what i'm doing! thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    You are already lean and actually look lower than 20% to be honest if that is your current pic.

And (with the exception of the needing to eat clean comment), you are pretty much spot on with what you are doing. However, as you are pretty light for your height, you may need to do a bulk/cut cycle to add more LBM as had already been mentioned.

Edited as missed current BF% in initial post.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I'd have to agree, give it time. Sounds like you are on the right track. I would- if i were you- not plan on staying under 17% body fat for an extended period of time for hormonal reasons... That being said, Keep it up!
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Carb cycling. Google it and see why bodybuilders use it to cut the last bit of fat- usually from stubborn areas like abs- near belly button.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator

And if this doesnt work, do a bulk phase and add 10 lbs of muscle to help fill in your skin.
  • zimfour
    zimfour Posts: 191 Member
    Carb cycling. Google it and see why bodybuilders use it to cut the last bit of fat- usually from stubborn areas like abs- near belly button.

Explai carb cycling PLease??!!!
  • flynnfinn

there's a great post about carb cycling on scooby workshop. I am unfortunately nowhere near a 4-pack even! he suggests to do carb cycling once I am at the 4-pack stage and can't get that last bit of fat off to show the 6-pack.

is this true? and I've done keto diets...it takes me more than 3 days to reach ketosis at 30g of carbs per day. I'd say I reach ketosis on the third day but then scooby says to go to high carb day on day 4. wouldn't it be optimal to stay on ketosis for a couple days to achieve fat loss?

btw, thanks for the replies from everyone else!
  • Posting this so I can find this thread later.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    p90x ab ripper X

Co-sign!

Sound like you are doing everything else right.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member

ok...can't argue with someone who looks like that! nice profile pic. i will keep doing what i'm doing! thanks.

Please do. You will do a lot better continuing to lift heavy than these fad programs.
  • flynnfinn

Please do. You will do a lot better continuing to lift heavy than these fad programs.

i know a lot of people think jillian michaels 30 day shred is a fad...but i can't hate on her. she makes me sweat and i am that kind of person that thrives off of endorphins. i wish i could give up my cardio and only purely lift heavy but i do love cardio. i've cut back a lot (alotalotalotalot) and only do 30 minutes max every other day. i used to do only long distance running as my main form of exercise! so i've made a huge leap forward by weight lifting 3 days a week.

to make up for the cardio that could potentially be burning off any future lean gains, i know i've got to eat more. and i'm working on that. i promise!!! i'm really working on my food intake!!

edited to add: i am not saying i'm a cardio bunny. i am far from that. i am really just someone who NEEDS to run. hard to understand unless you're a runner yourself. i don't run to burn calories. i run because mentally i need it. hope that makes sense.
  • Jamie2007
    Jamie2007 Posts: 169
    I am in the same boat as you - so I appreciate the post and the comments!