Vegetarians

124»

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    I'm a vegan (well, not really since i do eat organic manuka honey sometimes but no meat, dairy, or eggs) but I think tofu is nasty. Haha. Plus I am not a huge soy fan because I don't think it's good for you. I got some organic soy milk this week but only because my store was out of the organic almond milk I usually buy (in case anyone stalks my diary and is like "Liar! She eats soy!" Haha) I did lose 32 pounds after going vegan about a year and a half ago but it was slow, only 3 pounds a month. I was already an organic fan and lots of fruits and veggies fan. My weight was up from drinking though, not from meat. I have never been a huge meat fan, even as a little kid.

I have a lot of vegan friends and some of them eat terrible. Sugar galore or fake meat processed crap with fake nasty cheese that tastes like legos. If you are having multiple 400 calorie soy lattes everyday, you're weight is probably not going to come off. JUST being a vegetarian or vegan will not make you lose weight. You still have to watch your calorie intake. I do FEEL much better though, way more energy, better hair and nails (that now grow super fast but I think it's my huge intake of avocados. Ha!) I sleep good now too. I also think it's more fun to cook because I have to be more creative than I used to be to come up with meals with the right amount of protein and iron that I can get my kids to eat and not whine about, LOL. I do tend to eat a lot of the same things though because I like them (jalapenos, cilantro, avocados, beans, tomatillos....I love mexican food.) Go figure my husband dropped 20 pounds just from eating my vegan dinners (I pack his lunch for work too (and the kids for school) but I do vegetarian for them, still with organic dairy products.) He still drinks the same and nothing else has changed. So freaking unfair because I have to count calories or else I turn into a fat *kitten*, even eating no processed food. Haha!

I do hate sometimes when people are like "What are you doing?" and I say that I went vegan and they all of a sudden do it too but sans research and then tell me they feel like crap when they are living on tortillas and pasta and have MAYBE one fruit or vegetable a day, if that. Of course you do. You have to think about your iron and your protein and make sure you are eating sources of certain nutrient rich items.

Pinterest has a lot of great recipe ideas if anyone is looking for anything new to try.

i like you. soo wanna eat at your house.
  • Samanthaskywalker
    Samanthaskywalker Posts: 27 Member
    I'm a vegan (well, not really since i do eat organic manuka honey sometimes but no meat, dairy, or eggs) but I think tofu is nasty. Haha. Plus I am not a huge soy fan because I don't think it's good for you. I got some organic soy milk this week but only because my store was out of the organic almond milk I usually buy (in case anyone stalks my diary and is like "Liar! She eats soy!" Haha) I did lose 32 pounds after going vegan about a year and a half ago but it was slow, only 3 pounds a month. I was already an organic fan and lots of fruits and veggies fan. My weight was up from drinking though, not from meat. I have never been a huge meat fan, even as a little kid.

I have a lot of vegan friends and some of them eat terrible. Sugar galore or fake meat processed crap with fake nasty cheese that tastes like legos. If you are having multiple 400 calorie soy lattes everyday, you're weight is probably not going to come off. JUST being a vegetarian or vegan will not make you lose weight. You still have to watch your calorie intake. I do FEEL much better though, way more energy, better hair and nails (that now grow super fast but I think it's my huge intake of avocados. Ha!) I sleep good now too. I also think it's more fun to cook because I have to be more creative than I used to be to come up with meals with the right amount of protein and iron that I can get my kids to eat and not whine about, LOL. I do tend to eat a lot of the same things though because I like them (jalapenos, cilantro, avocados, beans, tomatillos....I love mexican food.) Go figure my husband dropped 20 pounds just from eating my vegan dinners (I pack his lunch for work too (and the kids for school) but I do vegetarian for them, still with organic dairy products.) He still drinks the same and nothing else has changed. So freaking unfair because I have to count calories or else I turn into a fat *kitten*, even eating no processed food. Haha!

I do hate sometimes when people are like "What are you doing?" and I say that I went vegan and they all of a sudden do it too but sans research and then tell me they feel like crap when they are living on tortillas and pasta and have MAYBE one fruit or vegetable a day, if that. Of course you do. You have to think about your iron and your protein and make sure you are eating sources of certain nutrient rich items.

Pinterest has a lot of great recipe ideas if anyone is looking for anything new to try.

I learned a month or two that honey is not vegan. I guess I could never technically be a vegan because I use local honey so much. I'm really glad you and your husband are living such healthy lifestyles!

Tofu is so yummy, but I have read a lot of information that it's not so good for you. Even if you get organic tofu, apparently it has a huge effect on your estrogen levels, so you gotta watch out. Dammit!

When I was in 8th grade, I went vegetarian for 8 months. I did it to lose weight and because I was sad for the animals. Did I eat healthy? No. I ate cheese pizzas and pasta mostly! This time around is completely different. I love fruits and vegetables and eat a lot of nuts. I drink tons of water and incorporate herbs into my cooking that have beneficial health benefits.

There is a huge difference between removing meat from your diet and being a vegetarian.
  • I agree with what you.have posted ,I don't eat meat but maybe twice year .I don't like the textures . I.cook meat less now that husband has read ,seen the health benefits ,but guess what I cooked chicken for his parents last night and parents and hubby injoyed .all left overs went home with them ..we have Freemom of choice and freedom of speech.its seems now days people don't want to discuss anything they just want it there way .let them have there way .
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    I was vegetarian for about 6 years, went off for 2 years, was vegetarian for another 2, and finally went off entirely.

I don't eat red meat because it isn't so great on my digestive system, but I eat chicken and fish. I was not getting nearly enough iron (I am anemic, too), and my albumin levels are low *even now. I can't take iron supplements because they make me so sick. Either way, it's a struggle for me to get protein.

The SO and I eat organic as much as possible.

It's hard enough to be truly healthy that I think before a person goes vegetarian, they should really thoroughly research what they need in terms of nutrition, and not just stop eating meat.

That said, I still eat veggie junk food items -- I love Morningstar Farms mini corn dogs and sausage links.
  • There is so much confusing information out there and in my looking and searching I have found one thing to be true.....what works for one works for many but not all....there is "proof" to suggest being meat free is right and "proof" meat is needed...grains are good grains are bad.,..fruit is good fruit is bad.....too much protein bad too much protein good....eat what your body feels like it needs seems right....not what your head craves....but what your body craves....different animals eat different things why would humans be any different....just thinking out loud really....thank you to those posting information and not judgement....information is good...
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    25 year vegetarian/vegan (I've been at least one) and I agree! I have no desire to be a corpse-eater ever again in my life---zero.
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    I went veg to help with my wieghtloss like eight years ago... Surprisingly I stopped losing weight and gradually gained back almost everything. Eating healthy is not the same as Eating vegan or vegetarian! I ate better than any of my veg friends and still stopped losing when I went veg. Don't get me wrong I still mainly eat veg but have slowly added protein back into my diet. First dairy and eggs then more recently fish. I personally never felt full while vegan. My ex girlfriend was worse though, She tried to break up with me saying she was lethargic and couldn't keep up with me anymore. Asked her when was the last time you had some protein and made her an omlette.. Ta Da she was cured of her lethargy!

Also we will all become corpse eaters once the zombie virus hits.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    25 year vegetarian/vegan (I've been at least one) and I agree! I have no desire to be a corpse-eater ever again in my life---zero.

mmm corpses :tongue:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I went veg to help with my wieghtloss like eight years ago... Surprisingly I stopped losing weight and gradually gained back almost everything. Eating healthy is not the same as Eating vegan or vegetarian! I ate better than any of my veg friends and still stopped losing when I went veg. Don't get me wrong I still mainly eat veg but have slowly added protein back into my diet. First dairy and eggs then more recently fish. I personally never felt full while vegan. My ex girlfriend was worse though, She tried to break up with me saying she was lethargic and couldn't keep up with me anymore. Asked her when was the last time you had some protein and made her an omlette.. Ta Da she was cured of her lethargy!

If all the zombies go vegan, that would make survival a whole lot easier.
  • lolalena
    lolalena Posts: 5 Member
    Ya- i lost 10 lbs becoming vegetarian about 18 months ago- i didn't do it for weight loss, it's a plus, though. but you can still be an unhealthy vegetarian. I have had plenty of nights eating vegetarian frito pie, pizza, french fries and other greasy food. I have gone weeks without ever touching a raw vegetable or fruit. Not good.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member

Lol! Perhaps even in zombie-form I'll be the one conscientious objector non-corpse-eating vegetarian zombie (c'mon a veg. can dream can't she?)
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Well I am not what I call a total vegetarian but I can't eat bread products, meat goes right through me along with anything fatty and I can't have dairy so I guess it is easier for me to lose weight than others on the similar diet. I read Eat to live when I was having a bad time with my weight and realized it was ok to eat this way. You do have tons of energy and I no longer binge. Eating this way has changed my life..of course in my situation I was not realizing I was poisoning myself and that's why I was having such problems with my health.