What are you reading currently?

Replies

• aforementionedfit
    aforementionedfit Posts: 19 Member
    I'm currently reading (I count listening to audiobooks as reading) to Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. This is my first time through the Harry Potter series (and yes, I'm 28 :) ) and I am loving it. I see why so many people were crazy about it when it first came out!
  • I'm reading the Mortal Instruments series. But that's YA. If you haven't read The Hunger Games series yet, I would highly recommend them! Also loved The Game of Thrones and subsequent books... although, like with a previous commenter, if you stop at book three, you'll be doing yourself a favor. Book 4 & and the first half of 5 are mind numbingly boring.
  • 13Gwendolyn13
    13Gwendolyn13 Posts: 11 Member
    Right now I'm reading the Wise Man's Fear, which is the book after The Name of the Wind. They. Are. So. Addicting. Not to metion 800 - 1000 pages long :P
  • eys81
    eys81 Posts: 61 Member
    Reading the rerurn by Victoria Hislop then thinking of the girl with the dragon tatoo trilogy.

I just finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a couple weeks ago, I loved it!
  • eys81
    eys81 Posts: 61 Member
    Right now I'm reading:

Swiss Family Robinson by Jean Rudolph Wyss - to my son.

Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan - about the dust bowl.

Guardians of Ga'Hoole Book #11 by Kathryn Lasky - I started reading these to my son but they got too violent and gruesome for a 6yo, unfortunately I HAVE to know how it ends so still have a few more books to read. :happy:
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    I recently finished up the fourth book in the Song of Ice and Fire series (I keep getting the titles confused, so I'm not going to guess at which one it was) and it was ok. Not terrible, but not as good as the first 3.

Now I'm reading The Lens and the Looker. Not bad. Could be better written, but the story is neat.
  • Iri_2
    Iri_2 Posts: 349 Member
    I'm currently reading Guilty Wives by James Patterson.
  • RMLMoore
    RMLMoore Posts: 130 Member
    The Malice of Fortune by Michael Ennis. Really good Renaissance mystery with Borgias and Machiavelli.
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn ...mystery and suspence. Hard to put down.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Just finished "A Gentle Rain" by by Deborah Smith. Didn't expect to like it much, but it was free on my Kindle so I downloaded it, and ended up really, really liking it. :happy:
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    I am reading Halfway Home by Hugh Howey. Very good so far!
  • The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb, a fictional novel about a school teacher whose wife is a school nurse at Columbine during the shooting. Can't get into it. Not enjoying the writing much. Perhaps I may re-read all my Nick Hornby books.
  • steppingstones
    The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb, a fictional novel about a school teacher whose wife is a school nurse at Columbine during the shooting. Can't get into it. Not enjoying the writing much. Perhaps I may re-read all my Nick Hornby books.

I had trouble with this one too. Disappointed because I really liked his previous books.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,071 Member
    I'm currently reading:

"The Uncommon Appeal of Clouds" by Alexander McCall Smith

This is part of his Isabel Dalhousie series. Love 'em!
  • "It Can't Happen Here" - Sinclair Lewis
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Just finished reading Defending Jacob by William Landay... It was for Book Club, and I enjoyed reading it.
  • steppingstones
    My book club just finished, The Elegance of the Hedgehog.by M.Barbery. Brilliant! And I just read, Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Also a good read.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    I just finished 2 books that really annoyed me: Saints Astray by Jacqueline Carey and Reflected to you by Sylvia Day. One of the main characters in Saints Astray constantly refered to her girlfriend as baby so it felt like every sentence of her dialogue was ending with baby. It just felt so repetatvie and the story moved somewhat slowly. And Reflected to You was just full of neurotic, self-centred jealous obsessive characters that were completely unlikeable.

I usually have 2 on the go - one at home and one at work on my e-reader. I have now started Wicked Business by Janet Evanovich and Micro by Michael Crichton - I am guessing it is the last book he was working on before he died. Both are pretty good so far and restoring my enjoyment in reading lol.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    I'm reading Heart of the Matter by Emily Giffin. I loved Giffin's first book, Something Borrowed, and ever since then I make a point of reading whatever new book she issues. She writes contemporary fiction. Her heroines aren't the ditzy, too stupid to live variety and I like that.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Last night I read "*kitten* My Dad Says" by Justin Halpern. Was pretty amusing and quick (took less than 2 hours to read). I'm currently reading 'Lover Reborn' by JR Ward (the writing annoys the crap out of me but the story keeps me interested) and 'Flight Behavior' by Barbara Kingsolver (having trouble getting into it).