Allergic to what I love

Options

I just came inside from giving a riding lesson to a girl that comes regularly to ride. Afterwards, I rode Scarlet (my black thoroughbred) around the yard, working on her trotting and just having fun with her ...after unsaddling, I just strolled the yard with her, looking at flowers and apple trees, the bees, the field....enjoying the breeze....then laid down on the grass and let her graze around me.....

now I'm inside....and the storm hits.... I always forget to take an allergy pill before I go outside...Not only is it from laying in the grass among my flowers....I'm also allergic to my horses isn't that terrible?

So now I'm runny nosed, itchy eyed and puffy, swallowing down an allergy pill because for the life of me, I'll never remember to before going out the door....what is wrong with me??
I hate having allergies from the 2 things I love the most. ((well, actually that would be hubby and kids......thankfully they are allergy free))

I hate this --who else battles allergies, and what do you take?

Replies

• beautifulbay
    beautifulbay Posts: 159
    Options

I just came inside from giving a riding lesson to a girl that comes regularly to ride. Afterwards, I rode Scarlet (my black thoroughbred) around the yard, working on her trotting and just having fun with her ...after unsaddling, I just strolled the yard with her, looking at flowers and apple trees, the bees, the field....enjoying the breeze....then laid down on the grass and let her graze around me.....

now I'm inside....and the storm hits.... I always forget to take an allergy pill before I go outside...Not only is it from laying in the grass among my flowers....I'm also allergic to my horses isn't that terrible?

So now I'm runny nosed, itchy eyed and puffy, swallowing down an allergy pill because for the life of me, I'll never remember to before going out the door....what is wrong with me??
    I hate having allergies from the 2 things I love the most. ((well, actually that would be hubby and kids......thankfully they are allergy free))

I hate this --who else battles allergies, and what do you take?
  • beautifulbay
    Options
    oops..this came up twice....I'm sorry :embarassed:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    My children suffer with terrible allergies. While we use a blend of Eastern and Western medicine, we reserve the Western medicine for "emergency response" we use Eastern as "preventative response". We are working on building their immune systems. There is also a homeopathic remedy, "Allergiplex" that you can take, preventatively, before you go riding. My kids use this is we are going somewhere where we know we will encounter their allergies. We buy the Allergiplex at our ND's office, but apparently you can order it online, or get it at Whole Foods. I swear it works as well as Benadryl, with none of the side effects / health effects.

Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    my middle child who is 10 is allergic to the sun!!! If he is in the sun for more than half an hour he breaks out in blisters that can be the size of a quarter.... in the summer he lives on benadryl and reactine.

How much is the allergiplex? is it expensive? right now he goes through a pack of benadryl in less than a week and about a week for the reactine... (reactine durring the day and benadryl at night) Last year he had to be put on steroids because he had blisters covering ALL of his legs ... he was an oozing mess... it was gross
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Same thing here! (Just this time of year though.) I cannot come near my hay! Have to use a pitchfork and that only preverts the hives, not the itchy eyes! I use sudaphed or the generic suphadrine. Works great for me!
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Zyrtec, zyrtec, zyretc. I have wonderful allergies to dust, mold, pollen, hay, straw, etc. Take my happy pill and I am allergy free. I also ride/work with horses and the only time it is not fail proof is when I am either body clipping or shedding them out and all the gunk comes out.
  • beautifulbay
    Options
    good ideas here! thanks!

Foxfire...do I know you from the horse.com forum??? Do you have a standardbred??
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm a horse lover myself, and the allergies are awful.
    I swear by zyrtec or alevert.
    I would DIE if I was too far from my horse, so I completely understand.
    ....right now I'm packing to go back to school for summer school and I'm so upset that I won't get to see my horse until August.

Hope this helps!
    :happy:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The Allergiplex is not expensive at all. Sorry to hear about your son icupfunny... that is so hard to deal with, I can relate, and I know it's not easy.

We were trying to get off of the Benadryl, because of the toxicity to the liver. Health Canada (our version of the FDA) is actually putting together a ban on Bendarly and all related products for children under the age of 6, and they are thinking about extending it possibly to 12yrs. It is scary, but then at the same time, that is what I turn to in an emergency!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. Allergy pills can only do so much I have found. But they do help.

One thing I recently learned and have found that taking it out of my diet actually helps my allergies specially my hay fever is taking lettuce out. Lettuce is actually related to the ragweed family and can make your hayfever worse. I am guessing it is the leave type lettuce and not the iceburg type because of the way it grows however I am not sure of that. But after taking it out for 2 weeks I found I was suffering less and breathing better.

Just some food for thought.
    Good luck!!
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that if you eat local honey, it can help your reaction to things in your area. I dunno why but I bet you can google it!