are quest bars lieing ?

Options
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=2BjvnjO04t4&feature=endscreen

they are making diabetics blood sugar spike?

do you trust labels on food?

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=2BjvnjO04t4&feature=endscreen

they are making diabetics blood sugar spike?

do you trust labels on food?

You really don't have much choice, unless you have the equipment to test everything you eat yourself.

Also, that video isn't wanting to load on my phone. Did they specify which bars? Quest has two completely different lines.
  • ediths6
    ediths6 Posts: 72
    Options
    im thinkintg it was the all natural ones probably but they didnt say
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Part 1 is at www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2WyP01D7Sg they tested the peanut butter supreme quest bar www.questproteinbar.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3&idcategory=

It's ingredients are "Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate), Isomalto-Oligosaccharide*, Peanut Butter, Almonds, Water, Peanuts, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Lo Han Guo, Sucralose."

The label says 21g of carbs of which 17 are dietary fibre. The implication being there are 4g on "net carbs". The diabetics in the video found otherwise.

Isomalto-Oligosaccharide is the "fibre" in question, when tested for UK regulatory approval the reulator said "The new study also investigated glucose/insulin responses to the applicant’s IMO. The data indicated that IMO produces a similar blood glucose profile and insulin response to the glucose control. The study also indicated that IMO had a prebiotic effect, as determined by increases in numbers of bifidobacteria and lactobacilli in faeces (p=0.049 and p=0.058 respectively), although there were no significant changes in faecal levels of volatile fatty acids."
    http://acnfp.food.gov.uk/assess/fullapplics/Isomalto-oligosaccharide/

In the manufacturer's application it says that "At 30-minutes following ingestion of the oligosaccharides, significantly increased serum glucose and insulin levels were observed in subjects at rest, as well as during exercise. Significant reductions in levels of non-esterified fatty acids (NEFA) were observed during both test phases for the first 60 to 90 minutes (30 minutes in the sedentary test) after IMO ingestion." - NEFA reduction means that eating this is inhibiting release of fats from storage.

The scientific paper "Metabolism of 13C-isomalto oligosaccharides in healthy men" shows the glucose & insulin response to these materials, their suppression of fatty acid release and the fairly prompt appearance of radiolabelled CO2 in the breath after eating labelled product - so it's not a fibre in the sense of "inert stuff that you poop out" it's digested rapidly at least to some extent.
  • Keto7
    Keto7 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic and after a few days of eating Quest bars and having crazy spikes in my sugar, I had to google it. What's up with these ridiculous spikes?? There are only a few net carbs… i don't get it.