broken toe :'(

so.. i broke my toe today.. i wont get into details, but it's 100% broken. cardio is completely out of the picture for a while (maaaajor sad face, seems i'm usually a cardio junkie) :(.
i dont mind resistance at all! i know it's awesome for you (unlike most females who think they'll become manly -_-), and once i start it, i love it.. but, i honestly don't know too much about it; such as, what types of exercises to actually do on my own.
i prefer to use my own body as resistance, rather than weights.. and, i'm making a big move (over 6,000 km away) come new years.. so buying weights isnt an option right now, and there's no gym in my current location.

so.. i guess what i'm trying to ask is:
1) do you have any suggestions of what i can do for a workout with a broken toe with no gym, and no weights?
2) would it be too hard on my body to do resistance 6 days a week?
3) what's your oppinion on a female doing all resistance?

thanks for your time to help me out with this! :D

all the best to everyone with their fitness journeys! :)

Replies

• WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Can't help you with the resistance/weights since I workout in a gym (although for weights, at first you can always use a couple of cans- soup, beans, a couple of milk jugs filled with water whatever) but I can sympathize on the broken toe, I broke mine last Tuesday and am in total cardio withdrawl!
    Just remember, if anyone asks how you broke it, tell 'em: Shark bite (since I'm in Florida, I'm using Gator Bite!)
  • lkweber21
    lkweber21 Posts: 27 Member
    I can sympathize because I broke my toe in August. Don't do what I did, which was nothing! I stopped going to the gym, stopped eating well and gained 10 pounds between August and October. Anything is better than nothing :) Good Luck and hope your toe heals well!
  • When I had a stress fracture of my tibia I was able to swim for my cardio. Any indoor pools where you live??
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Buddy tape it and off you go.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    According to Livestrong.com you can workout with a broken toe (walk, swim, ride a bike, use an elliptical) as long as you are not putting stress on your toe and wear the proper shoes.

Here's the link to the full article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/425504-how-to-exercise-with-a-broken-toe/
  • taniaandmichael
    taniaandmichael Posts: 38 Member
    I broke my "baby" toe at the end of August. When they did xrays, they discovered that it splintered, and it is still swollen and giving me fits. Buddy taping was out of the question and swimming hurt like crazy. :(

Anyway, I suggest that you try kettlebells. You still get a cardio workout, and you really don't have to move your feet that much. I've been doing kettlebell workouts for almost a month, and I love them. I started out with five pounds and have worked up to ten. They are portable and don't require a whole lot of space.

Of course, my biggest fear is dropping one of them on my toe, but I haven't done it yet.
  • BrittanyErica
    BrittanyErica Posts: 74 Member
    I can sympathize because I broke my toe in August. Don't do what I did, which was nothing! I stopped going to the gym, stopped eating well and gained 10 pounds between August and October. Anything is better than nothing :) Good Luck and hope your toe heals well!

oh, dont worry! i'll find a way around it, i always do! i'll never stop.. i have too much passion for it! :)
    that's exactly why i made this post, is to try and get a variety of ideas :)
    When I had a stress fracture of my tibia I was able to swim for my cardio. Any indoor pools where you live??

the closest pool is 1 hour away :'( *cries*, and i loooove swimming too!

but everyone, thanks for your input! i must say, theres one good thing that came out of this! seeming i'm such a cardio junkie, i'd always blow off my resistance to go for a run or something.. but now, i have to focus on resistance, and i'm loving the thought of that! but, i've also been really optmistic lately (yay for a complete change in life! but.. that story is for another day ^_^)! so, i'm looking at everything so positively! :)