A New Fitbit Problem - Incorrect Calories Eaten

rmk20togo
rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
I'm fine with the negative/positive exercise adjustments, but Fitbit.com has started something that I just can't understand. :grumble: Yesterday Fitbit.com says I ate 2737 calories and I only hate (and logged on MFP) 1889 calories. This is the second time this has happened in the past 5 days, with the other 3 days being accurate. Any idea what's going on or if I'm suddenly doing something wrong?

Replies

• laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    It may have double synced. Or if you logged, then made some changes, it may have kept the first logging. Sometimes when weird things like that have happened, I delete the food entries on Fitbit's site and let it re-sync with MFP again and it is corrected. If you change your food diary names it may mess it up too. Mine seem okay for today. I will go look at yesterday's.

Laura
  • auntygill
    auntygill Posts: 108 Member
    That happened to me on sunday , it said i had eaten over 3000 calories , i just ignored it as i knew what i had done .x
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Or if you logged, then made some changes, it may have kept the first logging. Sometimes when weird things like that have happened, I delete the food entries on Fitbit's site and let it re-sync with MFP

I didn't even know you could look at the actual food on Fitbit! That solved the problem. I pre-logged dinner and then had a change of plans and it had both meals listed.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    I had this problem over the weekend-it said I didn't eat anything for Sunday when clearly I did. I'm off to check now and see if it's fixed itself...
  • I have a similar problem, I enter food in FitnessPal and then it syncs with Fitbit and fitbit adds an extra set of random calories for each meal. Never happened before but this is the 3rd time this week.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    That happened to me yesterday too. When I looked at the food in the fitbit, it had double counted my snack category twice, so I just deleted one of them and then it synced perfectly. No clue why it did it, but it was an easy fix.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2014
    It's because you edited something in that meal. The changed meal went across as a new total and separate entry.

Did you do it from the app, or the website account?
  • ljlantgen
    ljlantgen Posts: 48 Member
    I never log meals on FitBit just MFP. I read somewhere you shouldn't do both. I guess I never check FitBit to see if my calories from MFP are correct.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    It's because you edited something in that meal. The changed meal went across as a new total and separate entry.

Did you do it from the app, or the website account?

Oh, that's an interesting input. I noticed this thing since I've started using the app more often, but I'm not sure if the two things are related. I'm going to edit a few meals from the website and see what happens.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    laurae wrote: »
    It may have double synced. Or if you logged, then made some changes, it may have kept the first logging. Sometimes when weird things like that have happened, I delete the food entries on Fitbit's site and let it re-sync with MFP again and it is corrected. If you change your food diary names it may mess it up too. Mine seem okay for today. I will go look at yesterday's.

Laura

I had this happen to me yesterday, too. :|
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2014
    ljlantgen wrote: »
    I never log meals on FitBit just MFP. I read somewhere you shouldn't do both. I guess I never check FitBit to see if my calories from MFP are correct.

Good point, because if you are syncing and only following the MFP eating goal, double counting calories eaten on Fitbit don't matter at all.
    Because eaten calories doesn't effect calories burned that is reported to MFP.

Again, the only real problem is if someone is trying to follow 2 roads to the same destination.

And no, you should not manually log them on Fitbit too, that would double count.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    ljlantgen wrote: »

Again, the only real problem is if someone is trying to follow 2 roads to the same destination.
    Actually, I find it easier to log my food on Mfp, sync my steps then check my "calories left" on FitBit (which are the calories you can still eat assuming if you won't do anything else all day) rather than trying to figure out how much of my adjustment on MFP will be lost at the end of the day since my activity is quite variable from day to day. so I hope they fix this issue. No big deal, anyway :wink:

• chicagodawn
    chicagodawn Posts: 15 Member
    it is happening to me, too, for the past few days. I've been deleting the incorrect ones, so that it matches MFP. I use the fitbit display of calorie deficit each night, so definitely want it updated!