SERIOUSLY... 70 LBS. LOST- ONLY DOWN 1 & A HALF PANT SIZE!!

Hello all of my MFP friends!
I am so confused...

I started my weight loss journey last year in November. Back then I weighed 305 lbs. I was in a size 20-22. Now almost a year later I'm down to 229 lbs. and a size 18 is just a bit big on me. I can't fit in a size 16 at all. So, I guess I wear a size 17??????

This is so weird because I see people drop just 20-30 pounds and drop two or three pant sizes.

Yes, I do have junk in the trunk, but I would've thought I'd be in at least a size 16 by now. I will be totally satisfied when I can fit a size 12-14.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or am I being paranoid? What do you guys think about this?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    An odd question, but how recently had you bought new pants at your 20-22 size? I ask because I had pants that were size 14 that I'd had for years and years that fit me when I was at my heaviest, but new pants I was buying at that time, even of the same brand, were 16s and 18s. And even now, pants that I bought at my smallest and I can still fit into now are a size smaller than what I fit into with new pants of the same brand/style.

So, it's altogether possible that the fabric of the pants you'd been wearing had starting just stretching out to accommodate your larger size as you put on the weight and now it's seeming like you are dropping sizes due to that "false" sizing of the pants you already owned.

Have you been measuring? How many inches have you lost? That's more telling than pants/clothes. Especially with women's sizing, there are absolutely no standards between clothing manufacturers. I can fit perfectly into one size in a certain brand and be one or two sizes bigger in another, on the same day of clothes shopping.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    i always thought that when u are close to ur goal weight, u go down pants size faster?
  • Are you shopping in a plus size store or a regular store with plus sizes. I usually shop at a plus specialty store where the sizes run large. At 260 I wear a size 20 from Avenue, but if I go to a regular store that carries plus, I wear a 22 to a 24. That may be the difference.
  • I agree with the other comment. Also, I really think that a size 14 or whatever size you want to talk about isn't the same as even just a few years ago. Sizes are cut way more slim than they used to be. Where I used to be able to wear an XL, I now need a 2XL in some things just because of the way they are now made.
  • azjenny72
    azjenny72 Posts: 43 Member
    I agree with the poster that said it could depend on the manufacturer and how long ago you had bought your other pants. Every few years it seems to me (even with discrepancies between manufacturers for women's clothing) that the standards there are change slightly... I've been a pretty steady 22-24 the last few years but i do notice the same kind of issues if I go to a different brand, especially when it comes to pants...

Don't let it discourage you especially if your measurements are changing tangibly
  • janiegross
    janiegross Posts: 25 Member
    The difference could be that the 20-22 were 20-22W. There is a big difference in a size 16 and size 16W. The ones with W on the end are quite a bit bigger.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Pants sizes vary so much between manufacturers I think they are essentially useless.

Did you take any "before" measurements or pictures? Use that for a comparison and I bet you will notice a big difference.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Some spots on our body tend to hold fat the longest, for you that might be the booty/hips area and that is why you aren't seeing a big change in the pant size. Also your height plays a little bit into that equation. I would recommend you start to get all around measurements of your body so you can measure progress that way. I know it might be disheartening but you have accomplished a lot by losing 70lbs, stick with it and there is a light in the end of that tunnel.
  • BoohBaby
    BoohBaby Posts: 50 Member
    I shop at stores that have both options: plus size and regular size. Don't get me wrong guys, I am not complaining at all. Even though my pant size is the same- my shirt size dropped dramatically. I'm now in an XL tops, I started in size 2-3 XL.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Do female sizes go up in a linear way? >.>
  • BoohBaby
    Pants sizes vary so much between manufacturers I think they are essentially useless.

Did you take any "before" measurements or pictures? Use that for a comparison and I bet you will notice a big difference.

Thanks for your reply. What I haven't been doing is keeping track with my inches lost. This is a good idea. I'm going to start today!!!
  • ldholcombe
    ldholcombe Posts: 97 Member
    Try it to dwell on it. This is what. Have learned. Every store has the own sizes. I went to target the other day and grabbed some jeans that were on sell. I am a size 14/16 the pants I grabbed were a 16 and I could barely zip them! In my opinion there should be a law that all the stores followed the sames sizes LOL
  • BoohBaby
    Some spots on our body tend to hold fat the longest, for you that might be the booty/hips area and that is why you aren't seeing a big change in the pant size. Also your height plays a little bit into that equation. I would recommend you start to get all around measurements of your body so you can measure progress that way. I know it might be disheartening but you have accomplished a lot by losing 70lbs, stick with it and there is a light in the end of that tunnel.

This is great advice. Thank you for your reply and double thank you for your support!!
  • BoohBaby
    Try it to dwell on it. This is what. Have learned. Every store has the own sizes. I went to target the other day and grabbed some jeans that were on sell. I am a size 14/16 the pants I grabbed were a 16 and I could barely zip them! In my opinion there should be a law that all the stores followed the sames sizes LOL

LOL!!!!! Agree.
  • RougeIllusion
    RougeIllusion Posts: 59 Member
    I know when I first started I "wore" an 18 because I would not allow myself anything bigger. Now that I've lost 27 pounds, I fit comfortably into my size 18s...except for dress pants...stupid dress pants!! :grumble:
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    People also lose from different areas..as you noticed your tops have gone down considerably.
    I've lost 73 lbs and gone from a 22W on top to about a 14/16, and in pants from 24W to a 16/18.

I will always have hips and be a little bigger on the bottom it seems.

I still have another 75 + to lose, so only halfway through too!
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    The difference could be that the 20-22 were 20-22W. There is a big difference in a size 16 and size 16W. The ones with W on the end are quite a bit bigger.

My thought exactly! I was going to suggest that you try a 16W. The Ws are cut very differently. They're made to accommodate "the junk". ;-)
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    I have big hips and a big butt too! I have lost 34 lbs, but officially no pant size yet. Shirt size, yes. I think it's because we are bottom heavy that it prevents us from going down in sizes as quickly as others. My 16's (dress pants) are loose, but can't fit in a 15 yet. :(
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    I've lost 60lbs and only dropped two dress sizes, it's all about your frame.
    Depends on your exercise too I guess.
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    I can share my experience...I started at a tight size 18W...and I lost one pant size during the first about 40 lbs of loss. At 200 lbs and down to where I am now (an additional 35 lbs) I have lost and am now in a size 14 which is very, very loose and need to move to 12s soon (tho I'm going to wait until I get to goal and wear them baggy for now becuase I might see another size before I get there)...what I'm saying is that until 200, I didn't see any kind of size loss I thought and then boom it started happening really, really quickly. Hang in there, I bet your time is just around that corner up there.:happy: