Ladies: Gloves or no gloves?

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Gloves, I already have callouses from not wearing them. My husband has protested, so now I wear gloves.
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Yes for gloves and mine also have some pink in it!
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    I too use pink and black gloves! Makes it easier to grip the bar for pull ups and dips too.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    I'm a glove girl !
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    I know some boys have said if you're going to wear gloves, better find a purse to match.

Seriously?? this is the dumbest thing I've heard all day.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I know some boys have said if you're going to wear gloves, better find a purse to match. I already carry a bag so I'm set.

I'm also not worried about calluses. I actually love mine--consider them my war wounds. What I am concerned about is that my hands are hurting LONG before my legs on deadlifts, and way before my shoulders/lats on pull-ups/lat pulldowns.

Would gloves help me, if so, anyone has a fave brand? If not, how do I strengthen my hands?

I used to not wear gloves, but I get way too many callouses with the amount of lifting I do. Gloves give me a better grip and protect my hands and I love them. I have really small hands and the gloves help. I also use lifting hooks especially for holding big dumbbells for some of my leg exercises. Some say hooks are cheating, I should build my forearm grip more, LOL, well my forearms don't need to be any bigger! I look like a strong girl already!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    I got at it with no gloves! I dead lift 255 and just beast through them.....but I understand why you'd want to use them. I constantly have callouses but I don't care. I pick em off. I'm not gonna lie, I feel like a badass not wearing gloves and deadlifting that much. Maybe it's just vanity?
  • I like my calluses, they make me feel cool. But I have seen some really adorable gloves I would consider using for pullups (grip always fails first) or a heavier power session. Good luck!
  • DontWeightStartNow
    DontWeightStartNow Posts: 58 Member
    Gloves def. help with grip as I lift heavy (heavy as I can). Although on my second pair of gloves, I opted for the full fingered ones versus the no fingered ones as I found them easier to pull off my hands when I'm done.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Thank you for this I too am getting callluses I have recently been doing hanging leg raises and my hands are pretty bad. I have very small hands and tried my husbands lifting gloves but couldn't grip with them. I think I will try some and yes they will be pink.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    I also wear gloves, but only to make sure my hands don't get "rough" from lifting. I had originally started without them, but once the hubby complained about my "man hands" I started wearing them. No more rough spots. I say do whatever works for you. If gloves make you feel more comfortable use em', if not ditch em'.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    I have trouble deadlifting without my gloves. I've forgotten them a couple of times and even with a mixed grip it's very rough on my hands. I'd have to let go of the bar and shake my hands out between reps (which isn't horrible ... I wish I could drop the weight anyway, but my gym would frown upon it). When you start doing pull reps with high weight, I think gloves may become a must.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I wear them because my hands will hurt all day if I don't. I'm okay if this makes me slightly less badass.

However weight lifting gloves and a nice manicure looks pretty awesome to me.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    I've never bought a pair. So, no... not yet. Only time I think I would like them is deadlifting. But I try and grip it so that I don't bunch up quite as much skin. It still hurts eventually but I think it minimizes callouses.
  • Imparablelta
    Imparablelta Posts: 25 Member
    I will most likely buy a pair soon. I mostly hit the the cardio classes and the boxing bags plus the threadmill. I hardly go around lifting, although I should occasionally.

FYI: Callouses On Hands = Not sexy! :):noway:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    I don't wear gloves, and have no intention to.
    Mainly because I quite like my calluses, it's almost like they remind me of all the hard work I put in. Plus I like surprising people. I remember having some sales person in the shopping centre stop my friend and I and try to sell us loads of beauty stuff (hand and face creams etc). He asked what I do when he saw the calluses, and his face when I told him! Love it!

My hands do hurt sometimes, but not as much as they used to. My grip's got a lot stronger, and the calluses seem to actually help take away the pain. Have you tried chalk?
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    I don't like gloves. I can't seem to get as good of a grip. Plus I love my callouses and my ring blisters. I don't need "sexy hands." I'm cool with my battle scars. :)
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Gloves. Black, not pink.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 292 Member
    No gloves
  • I will most likely buy a pair soon. I mostly hit the the cardio classes and the boxing bags plus the threadmill. I hardly go around lifting, although I should occasionally.

FYI: Callouses On Hands = Not sexy! :):noway:

Really? :huh:

No gloves here but I use liquid chalk for dl (gym doesn't allow powder).