SERIOUSLY... 70 LBS. LOST- ONLY DOWN 1 & A HALF PANT SIZE!!

Replies

• StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    I also carry my weight on my lower body but I have lost 27 pounds and dropped 3 pant sizes. I have lost weight before and only dropped 1 to 2 sizes but what has made the difference this time, for me, is my workout. I spend an hour 5 to 6 days a week on the treadmill or an hour outside on steps and up hills. I started in June at 30 minutes a day a mile and a half and now I have worked up to an hour a day with 4 to 4.5 miles and it has made a huge difference in my lower body. I am so almost not pear shaped now and I love it. Hang in there sizes may drop faster as you get closer to your goal, but in the mean time be very proud of how far you have came!!
  • BoohBaby
    BoohBaby Posts: 50 Member
    Another thing to consider is how you're losing weight. When you add muscle to your frame you clothing size goes down. I lost 20 LBS but went down 2 pant sizes. I added muscle. I'm not sure if you're lifting weights through this process but I will tell you that that's the best way to see your body really change.

Hi,
    I just recently started strength training. It's tough, but I hear it's the best way to go if you wanna look good naked! I'm up to 12 pounders right now. My goal is to get up to 28 lbs.

Thank you for the supprt.
  • ohmelgosh79
    ohmelgosh79 Posts: 118 Member
    I took a look at your pictures, and your pant size is NOT reflecting how much smaller your hips are now! Amazing change from the one by the file cabinet!

I agree. You can definitely see the difference! Congratulations on your success thus far!!

Also, I love that in your pictures, it looks like you took them at work. That is something I do. =]
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    If you want a true idea about what you've lost. Measuring yourself and tracking it is the best way. Clothing sizes are misleading. I'm 5'2" and could fit into some 9s (but not all) and 10s when I was 150 lbs. I'm 186.4 now and tried on a pair of 12/14 shorts and they were a little tight. I am currently wearing size 14 cargo shorts and when I put them on they fit well... by the end of the day I can take them off with out undoing the fastening. Material in clothing are a factor too.

So regardless of what the clothing sizes is, buy what compliments you and makes you happy and keep striving to be a healthy weight.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Hello all of my MFP friends!
    I am so confused...

I started my weight loss journey last year in November. Back then I weighed 305 lbs. I was in a size 20-22. Now almost a year later I'm down to 229 lbs. and a size 18 is just a bit big on me. I can't fit in a size 16 at all. So, I guess I wear a size 17??????

This is so weird because I see people drop just 20-30 pounds and drop two or three pant sizes.

Yes, I do have junk in the trunk, but I would've thought I'd be in at least a size 16 by now. I will be totally satisfied when I can fit a size 12-14.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or am I being paranoid? What do you guys think about this?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

It all depends on how you carry your weight. If you were in a 20 before you went up to 300, when we wear them they stretch out and could be why you fit into them at that size. So you could have possibly been a bigger size at 300 in new jeans. So if that is the case, then you did lose sizes!! Previously when I have gained and lost, I got into a 16 at 240 and went back up to 270 and still was able to get into those 16's, but if I went and bought new jeans, prob would have really been an 18.

don't worry it will go down, I highly suggest taking your measurements. I am the same weight as you (228) and I haven't lost any pounds in the past few weeks (evil scale lol) but I just bought my first few pairs of jeans in a 14 in the misses department. Body fat and inches is what really makes a difference, not as much the weight on the scale. My cousin is the same weight as me and is two sizes bigger then me. Starting to lift heavy weights will probably help you big time. And make sure to not neglect your lower half and work it hard! lol Squats and lunges will do wonders for your butt and legs, and I bet you the sizes will start to drop. That is what happened to me and I know it isn't guaranteed, but I definitely think it is something worth looking into :)

ETA - Forgot to give you props girl!! The amount of weight you have lost is amazing and you do look fantastic :) Just keep pushing forward to you will get there!! Be proud of all you have accomplish, you truly look amazing :)
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Pants sizes vary so much between manufacturers I think they are essentially useless.

Did you take any "before" measurements or pictures? Use that for a comparison and I bet you will notice a big difference.

Thanks for your reply. What I haven't been doing is keeping track with my inches lost. This is a good idea. I'm going to start today!!!

Great idea. Not just your waist, keep track of your arms, neck, legs, hips, underbust, where ever you can. Helps tremendously. Also, hit the weights :) Really helps for losing inches. Great job, and keep up the wonderful work!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Everybody is different. I was a size 18/20 at 210 pounds. I can't imagine what size I would have been at 300. Now, at 176, I am only a 16. Hang in there...70 pounds is a heck of an achievment! Focus on that. :)
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    I know when I first started I "wore" an 18 because I would not allow myself anything bigger. Now that I've lost 27 pounds, I fit comfortably into my size 18s...except for dress pants...stupid dress pants!! :grumble:

This was true for me. At my highest weight I only fit into one remaining pair of my largest pants. I think had I tried to buy more clothes, I would have had to go even bigger. So while I'm only down 3 sizes in 120 pounds, it's likely more had I been wearing my true size.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Are you shopping in a plus size store or a regular store with plus sizes. I usually shop at a plus specialty store where the sizes run large. At 260 I wear a size 20 from Avenue, but if I go to a regular store that carries plus, I wear a 22 to a 24. That may be the difference.

I find this too. When I shop at plus specialty I wear a 14/16. In regular stores its 16/18. Plus with different manufacturers using different sizing I can wear some 12's. I say stop worrying about the number on the tag and just wear what fits/looks good/is comfortable.

you have obviously been successful - keep going I am sure eventually your sizes will catch up.
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    For what it's worth, big kudos to you for losing 70 pounds!!! Don't let your clothes deter you from continuing on your path. You're doing a great job and before you know it, you'll be a size 8!!! :smile:
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    And if you want to add to all of this confusion, I know a woman who is 5"6, wears a sz 4..... ummm 170lbs figure that one out !
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    odd sizes are for juniors 12-15 yrs old....according to What Not TO Wear,...,..but great job!!!!,..keep up the good wrk!!
  • BoohBaby
    Some clothes aren't true to size, so I try not to even care about the size anymore but I will say I think it depends on how you are shaped too. At 249 I wore 18's and 20's, mostly 18's because the 20's looked too lose sometimes depending on the cut. Not my official weigh in day but I got on the scale anyway this morning...LOL and I'm 225.6, 16's fit loosly. Mind you, my weight is wide from side to side...LOL!! Not front to back. I have no butt, just enough to cup which your hand...LOL!! So I can get into smaller sizes thanks to my flat booty!!

LOL!!! sounds like we are similar as far as how we carry our weight. -Well minus the butt part. Although it is getting smaller due to tightening and toning. I do too many squats..
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    CONGRATS TO YOU!! HANG IN THERE, I'M NOT SURE WHAT YOUR CHOICE OF EXERCISE IS, BUT ZUMBA WILL PULL THOSE INCHES OFF IN NO TIME AND HAVE YOU IN THOSE 16'S BY CHRISTMAS!!!

ZUMBA IS ABSOLUTELY MY BEST FRIEND AND VERY ADDICTIVE!

Hey Laniece!!! I totally agree with what you said about Zumba!!! To the OP, all the best to you as you continue your journey!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Sizes are stupid. Just stupid. Useless!!

I've been working my way into smaller clothes in my closet... I have 2 pairs of jeans right now that I can wear. Same manufacturer, same cut, same 'style' name on the inside. They have the same measurements when I take the tape measure to them. But they are different sizes. WTF? No wonder shopping drives women mental.
  • BoohBaby
    maybe the good lord wants you to keep the wagon you be draggin he blessed you with... :laugh:

best thing i can tell you is everyone body responds differently...

LIKE!!!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    I took a look at your pictures, and your pant size is NOT reflecting how much smaller your hips are now! Amazing change from the one by the file cabinet!

Ditto! You're doing great. Stay focused...the results will continue to follow.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    The first time I lost weight I started at 260lbs, and I didn't go down a size until I had lost 40lbs. When I was lower down, it would only take 10lbs or so to drop a size, and when you get really small, it is only 5lbs or so.
  • floridagirl7264
    floridagirl7264 Posts: 318 Member
    There go the boobies! :wink:
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Hello all of my MFP friends!
    I am so confused...

I started my weight loss journey last year in November. Back then I weighed 305 lbs. I was in a size 20-22. Now almost a year later I'm down to 229 lbs. and a size 18 is just a bit big on me. I can't fit in a size 16 at all. So, I guess I wear a size 17??????

This is so weird because I see people drop just 20-30 pounds and drop two or three pant sizes.

Yes, I do have junk in the trunk, but I would've thought I'd be in at least a size 16 by now. I will be totally satisfied when I can fit a size 12-14.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue or am I being paranoid? What do you guys think about this?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
    I've noticed this too. I have lost almost 80 lbs. I started in a size 20 (although I was stretching those out, should have had a 22), and now I'm a size 14. I always am amazed when I see posts from folks who lose 50 lbs and go down 6 sizes in pants! Not I!! I think it is because (a) I hold most of my weight in my thighs and hips and (b) As people get closer to their goal weight, the pants sizes go down faster.