Do exercise videos work as well as going to the gym?

Anyone on here just do strictly work outs at home and no gym, how were your results?

Replies

• Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    I lost about 20 lbs doing at home exercises, when I was plateauing with just diet, and since I do a mix, but they really good when on tight schedule, and definitely as effective as the gym if by gym you mean treadmill/elliptical.
    When it comes to weight lifting it is different because you need someone to spot you and the weights are relatively expansive.

What kind of workout are you looking for, and usually are you on a tight schedule, are you more team or solo?
    all these questions can help pointing you in the right direction
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    I've tried the gym a few times. Wasn't for me at all. I think it's a personal choice. I'm an exercise video junky (I guess that's better than the other kind...) and nothing motivates me more than doing a DVD every day and sweating it out. Taking a shower and continuing on with me day. All in the comforts of my own home.
  • I lost about 20 lbs doing at home exercises, when I was plateauing with just diet, and since I do a mix, but they really good when on tight schedule, and definitely as effective as the gym if by gym you mean treadmill/elliptical.
    When it comes to weight lifting it is different because you need someone to spot you and the weights are relatively expansive.

What kind of workout are you looking for, and usually are you on a tight schedule, are you more team or solo?
    all these questions can help pointing you in the right direction

Something for my butt and arms, and maybe stomach too, but I figured I'd lose most of my stomach weight doing cardio. I'm more of a solo person when it comes to working out. Also money is an issue too I can't really afford the work out tapes that expect you to buy a bunch of equipment to go with it.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I've been doing kettleworx at home. I've had loads of compliments since doing it. It's changing my shape, I am getting stronger.. Quickly! Loving the changes in my legs! X
  • I enjoy the flexibility of being able to do an exercise video at home. You can exercise any time you want without worrying about making the class on time.

However, I find I push myself more when I am doing a class at the gym. I do better having that personal touch with people. I tend to sometimes coast doing an at home video.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    I agree with the person who said it is personal preference. I hate doing exercise videos, so I rarely do them unless I have to. I prefer going to the gym. You just have to figure out what works for you.
  • jgsparks89
    jgsparks89 Posts: 85 Member
    I think any exercise is pretty much equivalent in effectiveness as any other (given similar intensity/time) whether in a gym, at home, or anywhere else (if we are talking in terms of calories burned). The difference, for me anyways, is that I can't stay focused at home. I know from experience that I need a special, set aside time away from my house (and laundry, and internet, and TV, and child, Lol) so that I can focus on my work out. It's really become sort of my "me" time. I also really love my group classes (ZUMBA!!).

I also have an extremely busy schedule (work, night classes, and a 5 year old), but i learn that I make time for what is important to me. When I made fitness a priority, I made time for the gym at least 3 days a week. Other days I walk, or do at home workouts.

But, just learn what works for you. If you can dedicate time, over come distractions and put your maximum effort toward videos at home, more power to you.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I've lost 26lbs and dropped from a size 12 to a 4/6 (depends on the brand) without stepping into a gym. I started with Jillian Michaels DVDs, which got me into using weights and the like, but have moved on to workouts on my Nike Training Club app (uses dumbbells and medicine ball, some call for a box for stepping/jumping on), and want to start New Rules of Lifting soon. For cardio I run 3 days a week and still do Jillian's Kickbox FastFix for 20 minutes on strength days.

I do need to invest in some heavier weights - no room at home for a bench or full barbells, but doing what I can (and making progress) with dumbbells so far. If you've got the space, check Craigslist or yard sales for equipment. Check your library for New Rules Of Lifting - he's got several books out, all start with that same title but one is for Men, one for Women, one for Abs.

At 44, I'm in better shape now than I was in my 30's, and feeling great!
  • I've lost 26lbs and dropped from a size 12 to a 4/6 (depends on the brand) without stepping into a gym. I started with Jillian Michaels DVDs, which got me into using weights and the like, but have moved on to workouts on my Nike Training Club app (uses dumbbells and medicine ball, some call for a box for stepping/jumping on), and want to start New Rules of Lifting soon. For cardio I run 3 days a week and still do Jillian's Kickbox FastFix for 20 minutes on strength days.

I do need to invest in some heavier weights - no room at home for a bench or full barbells, but doing what I can (and making progress) with dumbbells so far. If you've got the space, check Craigslist or yard sales for equipment. Check your library for New Rules Of Lifting - he's got several books out, all start with that same title but one is for Men, one for Women, one for Abs.

At 44, I'm in better shape now than I was in my 30's, and feeling great!

Wow, I am thoroughly impressed!!! Makes me want to get up off this chair and put that dvd in. Thanks
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    You wouldn't catch me at a gym. I've had great success using Beachbody Programs. I am totally gym-phoebic. I freak myself out thinking of the germs, sweat, and people that may want to talk to me. It's totally not for me. It wasn't overly expensive to get set up, I've slowly gathered my fitness equipment and have basically my whole gym set up.