Protein shake before bed?

2»

Replies

• Have you tried eating real protein (meat or eggs) at all your meals? When time of day do you work out? Who told you to get more protein? You need nutrients to fuel the work your body does. If you really think you are not hungry, you might be eating too often. I had subscribed to the 6 small meals theory for many years, but now I realize that I was always thinking about food because my body thought I would continue feeding it every few hours. Now I only eat 3 meals a day and am actually truly hungry for full meals - tons of meat and vegies. I BBQ extra meat at dinner so I have meat for lunch the next day. My rule of thumb, if it has a label, you probably should not eat it. Pick real food over processed.
  • have a whey protein shake. keep it lower in carbs and fat though, you don't wanna overdo it, whether your low carb dieting or not.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    I love protein shakes before bed, while in bed, after having gotten into said bed, and all else in between.

The bad thing is that, after having my protein shaken (not stirred, never stirred) I get sleepy.
    Sometimes hungry AND sleepy...

Now THAT'S a REAL answer!! :laugh:
  • Well if you plan on going straight to sleep right after eating then a casein protein shake is good, also cottage cheese before bed! plain of course, but I don't think pairing it with a healthy fat (a tbsp peanut butter) is bad.
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    8:29 - It will make you bulky

8:31 - It will all turn to fat.

Tread carefully.

Does this change with daylight savings time, or should I adjust by an hour?

It takes 2 weeks for your Circadian rhythms to adjust. I use this opportunity to do a juice fast.

What kind of juice? Prune?
  • Optimum Nutrition makes a product, Casein Protein, just for this purpose.
    Casein turns to jelly in the stomach and therefor takes longer to digest, giving you a steady stream of aminos while you sleep.
    Do not use Whey as it digest and gets used to quickly, get something with casein.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    I work out late, then have a protein shake after, shower, and go to bed. I find it helps me so I dont wake up hungry. As long as it fits in your calories, it doesnt matter what time you're eating/drinking them.
  • I always like protein at bedtime.

seewhatididthere
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I recommend against it. Ever seen "Gremlins"?

What I want to know is when is it "before midnight"??? Isn't it always after midnight?
  • FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member

What I want to know is when is it "before midnight"??? Isn't it always after midnight?

No dear, it's always before midnight. You were close.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Optimum Nutrition makes a product, Casein Protein, just for this purpose.
    Casein turns to jelly in the stomach and therefor takes longer to digest, giving you a steady stream of aminos while you sleep.
    Do not use Whey as it digest and gets used to quickly, get something with casein.

also found in cottage cheese and neither turns into jelly
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    I always like protein at bedtime.

seewhatididthere

one teaspoon at a time

:bigsmile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

No dear, it's always before midnight. You were close.

Then the gremlins wouldn't turn into gremlins when you feed them!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    I always like protein at bedtime.

seewhatididthere

one teaspoon at a time

:bigsmile:

I love you two!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Go for it.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    I did this last night in fact and this morning I woke up TIGHT and BURSTING WITH MUSCLE. Want to know my secret? Sign up for my newsletter and I'll tell you the secret to getting RIPPED, TIGHT, SCULPTED by just following these 97 and 1/3rd easy steps!

Actually, I did do this last night and had the most F'd up dream(s), but that was probably just me.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    It will turn into fat only if it, combined with everything else you ate for the day, is greater than the energy you expended. Timing doesn't matter.

I was mostly joking about the turning into fat thing...:grumble: So, all joking aside, there is nothing wrong with this???

Nothing wrong with it, it actually makes me sleep really well....If I have one before bed, I don't wake up hungry AND if I choose to exercise early, I kick butt without having to have a snack beforehand....

Finally, a REAL answer!:ohwell: thanks!:flowerforyou:

The first, second, third and fourth responses to this thread were all REAL answers.

Yeah, but they were sarcastic real answers...:grumble: :huh:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    It will turn into fat only if it, combined with everything else you ate for the day, is greater than the energy you expended. Timing doesn't matter.

I was mostly joking about the turning into fat thing...:grumble: So, all joking aside, there is nothing wrong with this???

Nothing wrong with it, it actually makes me sleep really well....If I have one before bed, I don't wake up hungry AND if I choose to exercise early, I kick butt without having to have a snack beforehand....

The first, second, third and fourth responses to this thread were all REAL answers.

Actually no they were not. The first four answers to your post were both serious (not sarcastic) and also correct.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Read them - they were to the point factual and polite. These people took the time to help you and you dismiss their comments - now that is downright rude.

First response:

Second response:
    Simply drinking a protein shake will not turn into fat or muscle

Third response:
    I think its very unlikely the protein shake will be turned into fat

Fourth response:
    In addition to the above replies, yes it's fine to drink your whey protein at night. If you need additional protein in your diet, then go for it and enjoy.

Please explain how on earth any of the above can be taken as sarcastic because your logic and interpretation fail me.