Weight Gain and Age

Replies

• HI
    I am 47 and used to be an aerobics instructor until health issues came into play. I have never had to watch my weight. I gained 25 lbs in last five years. I am SLLLOOOOWWWWLLLY taking it off, even though I am watching every calorie and exercising all the time. I would love some motivation and support. Please friend me.:smile:
  • pammiekay68
    pammiekay68 Posts: 16 Member
    Hi Kathy, my name is Pamela. I wanted to post because your story sounded a lot like mine except that when I was growing up I was very tall and skinny. I got married young and within the first 4 yrs of marriage I put on almost 25lbs. Shortly after that I had my first child and lost most of the baby weight. At that point, I was in my mid 20's and about 140-150lbs. I thought I was huge!!! I had a second child in my late 20's and still went back to about 150 lbs. In my mid 30's my weight slowly crept up to 160-170's. Now I am 43, I am about 205, I have never been this big. I dont eat that badly and I do get some exercise at my job and I play volleyball once a week. My weight is out of control and I cant seem to get a hold of it. One month ago, I had a hysterectomy and I swore that once I healed from my surgery, I would start to exercise and get my body back. I am hoping that I can get support from this site to help me battle this stubborn bulge!!! Thanks for all of your stories, they do help to motivate me!!!!
  • planetshark
    planetshark Posts: 37 Member
    The best way to boost your metabolism (at any age) is to eat 5-7 small meals a day and LIFT WEIGHTS! Building muscle increases your metabolism like crazy and you're never too old to start! :)
  • bosslady69
    bosslady69 Posts: 11 Member
    Tell me about it same here having the middle age spread anyone feel free to add me on this page. Let's motivate each other
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    The best way to boost your metabolism (at any age) is to eat 5-7 small meals a day and LIFT WEIGHTS! Building muscle increases your metabolism like crazy and you're never too old to start! :)

Do you believe in the "eat more to weight less" belief or do you have to eat 1200 calories a day - which to me is starving.
  • planetshark
    planetshark Posts: 37 Member
    Want to know the secret to a GREAT metabolism? Wail on weights, build muscle, eat 6-7 small meals daily then rest and repeat. You can have a faster metabolism at practically ANY age than you had when you were 20 if you simply follow these proven principles ... :)
  • I haven't posted before because, honestly, I've been "lurking" and reading what everyone has to say! I have been doing this MFP thing since July and have lost about 13 pounds but it's slow going. To be honest, I thought I'd be almost to my goal weight by now! I am 44 years old and, like many people on here, I let my weight creeeeeep up to an unhealthy high of almost 200 pounds after an early hysterectomy and just with life/age.

Now I'm frustrated because it seems like it's two steps forward and one step back. I've tried setting the ap to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week and I've tried setting it to lose 1 pound a week to see which works better. Either way, it doesn't seem to make a big difference. I've really stuck to the calorie count (currently at 1540) and still, it just doesn't seem like I'm losing as quickly as I should be! Exercise is the big question I guess since I'm not doing it as often as I should be due to schedule and driving a teenager around in the evening. No excuse but there it is.

I'm open to suggestions, but what I've noticed is that every post I've read about this subject seems to have different ideas! Eat less carbs, exercise more, eat more calories, lift weights, cut out fat, etc., etc. Anyway, maybe I just need some support. Help!
  • denise33027
    denise33027 Posts: 108 Member
    I agree, all about the weights! I read this thread and could relate to it all! I started lifting HEAVY about 3months ago, what a difference! I also started to follow the Paleo diet. I feel better now approaching 41 than I have in years! You really need to pay attention to what you eat, look at food as fuel...good fuel, good energy.
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    I agree with the above posters. I am in the same boat as you weight gain wise. Here's the thing too; make some adjustments in your diet. Replace high calorie cows milk with unsweetened almond milk 40 cal. Little adjustments like this can add up to a big difference over a year.

Our metabolism is basically only 300 cals per day less than a 20-something person. The reason we put on the weight is simple; in a year, that adds up to 30 lbs. It's just like compound interest.
  • Oh gosh! You and I have the exact same weight gain. I was between 125 and 130 in my 20's.. then 130 to 135 from 30 to 35yrs and then 135-142 in my late thirties now in my forties I had jumped to 168lbs! I am at 157 lbs now... I started MFP after I had lost 8lbs which is why my weight ticker only shows 3lbs lost.

I give up mostly because of the stress of being a single Mom and juggling family and work... time to workout is really tough sometimes.

Congrats on quitting smoking... I still am and that is my goal for next year... quit before I turn 45.

I think the important thing when we get older is focusing on eating healthy and exercise. The weight will come off slower but I figure that if I keep losing, and not gaining, it's positive.

I have 1250 calories a day and I am slow at losing weight. I train mostly by mixing things up like circuit training, cardio kickboxing, Zumba and power walking. In January, I will keep circuit training but drop the kickboxing and try something else. Never get into a training routine... I heard that it will get you in a rut... change it up all the time.

Good luck and stick with it.

Kim
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member

I totally agree! I may not weigh what I did in the 30's but I am stronger and have more muscle mass. At this point in my life it is about being strong and fit. I do not think that a VLCD (Very low calorie diet) does anybody any good! Years of weight watchers totally messed with my metabolism. It has been a long hard road to get my metabolism back in check.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    I am right there with you! My scale has not moved in almost a year; however, I have cut down on the cardio and been doing more strength training. A LOT MORE! And, though I would love to get my weight down in the 150s too, I'm more focused on getting stronger. I realize that my clothes are fitting better and I feel better about myself.

I lift weights 3-4 days a week and I lift heavy. There's nothing more fulfilling than watching my lift weights increase. I can remember struggling through bench pressing just the 45# olympic bar and now I'm pressing 90#. Eventually, I have to imagine my body will catch up but its no longer about the scale number for me. WW trained me all wrong and I've been correcting that little by little. I stand on the scale once a month now- if that.
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    My weight has gone like this: In my 20's I weighed 128 to 135. In my 30's I weighed 146 to 152. I quit smoking when I was 37 and in my 40's my weight has 157 to 168. I have worked out on and off my whole life. When I smoked, drank and partied - I weighed less. I also have always had a sedentary job so I know that doesn't help. I find it frustrating that I have to fight to get down to 150 lbs when I used to be in the 140's without doing anything super healthy.

Has anyone had this type of slow weight gain, despite eating healthier and having a healthier lifestyle as they got older??

Right there with you! I lost 35 lbs when I was 39 WHILE quitting smoking (and going through a divorce) I have had a sit down on my rear job for over 12 years but since I turned 40 I have slowly gained weight to the point I'm well above the 35 I iniially lost ... I did manage to lose 12 lbs before joining MFP (so that's why my ticker says 0 lost) I'm stuck ... now I will say that I started working with a trainer at my gym and my measurements have changed in the 2 months I've been working with him ... my BMI went down and my clothes fit different so I know I'm making progress just the scale number isn't moving!! So frustrating... I'm 42 now almost 43.... I would love to lose even just 25 lbs to be at 125 .. just gotta have faith and determination that it will work!
  • v65magna
    v65magna Posts: 27 Member
    My weight has gone like this: In my 20's I weighed 128 to 135. In my 30's I weighed 146 to 152. I quit smoking when I was 37 and in my 40's my weight has 157 to 168. I have worked out on and off my whole life. When I smoked, drank and partied - I weighed less. I also have always had a sedentary job so I know that doesn't help. I find it frustrating that I have to fight to get down to 150 lbs when I used to be in the 140's without doing anything super healthy.

Has anyone had this type of slow weight gain, despite eating healthier and having a healthier lifestyle as they got older??

Sounds like you are living MY life.
    Age 19 (graduation) 99 lbs
    20-30's 100 - 125 lbs
    30-40's 125 - 140 lbs
    45 170 lbs

I also worked an office job (developed that dreaded "Secretary Spread"), went thru divorce in early 30's, loss a bit but found it again, remarried early 40's (and learned to cook), had motorcycle accident which helped add last 30 lbs and BAM here I am. Just started MFP and feeling good about it.
  • jellybird
    jellybird Posts: 37 Member
    I'm in the same boat.. I never had to watch my weight. Had my kiddo at 40. Now at 44, I am finally back to my pre-preggo weight of 125 but with more fat (about 23%). I have to work out every day and really watch what I eat. I'm going to add running into the mix too. My goal is to get down to about 18% body weight and about 120 pounds.
  • alusainc
    alusainc Posts: 26 Member
    I went from 125 to 163. When I went up two stairs and had to stop to catch my breath I knew it was time to lose weight. The doctor told me I had to lose at least 40 pounds. I find that walking regularly and running has helped (the daily walk actually makes a huge difference). Keeping track of what i eat made me realize that I ate tons of carbs, oodles of fat and a pindrop's worth of protein.

I started eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, cut out sugar and don't drink soda. I drink tons of water (glowing skin #winning) and it helped me lose more weight. I realized that when I lost the first 20lbs, my back and knees stopped hurting. Being able to fit into a smaller size is such a bonus. The challenge for me has been to keep on eating right (I love food and I cook so it's been interesting). Keeping pics up of my before and after have really helped.

Good luck ladies.....being 40 is awesome. I organize lots of outdoor activities (keeps me motivated to move) and it has helped with the weight loss. Not all the work has to be done in the gym......and the bedroom can really help rake off the pounds (they say a ladies libido increases at 40....might as well put it to good use....lol). Jokes aside, once we start to find fun ways to lose weight, it's almost easy to do it without even thinking about it.
  • alusainc
    alusainc Posts: 26 Member
    I just found this page http://www.calorieking.com. It keeps track of the calories you eat and then lets you know what exercises you can do, and how long you should do them for, in order to burn the calories you just ate. An example: After one refridgerated dough, chocolate chip cookie would need walk for 16 minutes, jog for 7 mins, swim for 5 minutes, or cycle for 5 mins.
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    So, I gained 7 holiday pounds so I'm back to trying to drop that weight. My trainer tells me to eat 1200 calories a day, work out with weights at least 2 days a week and cardio 5-6 days per week. That seems extreme to me. However, maybe it works? I'm just not willing to starve myself.
  • Yes, it makes you want to scream. I used to be able to eat whatever and not exercise and be skinny. In my twenties the weight came off with a little exercise, no dieting. Now I have to always watch what I eat and exercise an hour a day and it's super hard. I can't imagine what it will be like in my 50's if this trend continues. But we do what we have to do, right. Can't let the age weight win!
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Same story as most....was the same weight from Grade 9 to my wedding day. After 2 kids I got into martial arts quite heavily and was in the BEST shape of my life! Due to an ongoing knee injury (surgeries and replacement upcoming) I had to slow down and it was hard to keep going as it wasn't as enjoyable. Back into working out with Jillian Michaels DVD's and on this site but my big issue is the muffin top that appeared out of no where!!!!!!! I have watched the teens of today expand and especially in the mid section. I eat well (little to no processed foods) and work out and power walk daily....and it's not budging.....uuugh....summer is 6 months away and I can't and WON'T wear a one piece bathing suit!