Older women success stories please!

I'm starting to get intimidated by all the 20 something people who lose 100 lbs and look AMAZING!! I'm afraid that when I lose my 60 lbs, I'm still going to look like an "eh" 45 year old. I also have heard that it's so much harder to lose weight post-menopause. Should I just throw in the towel now?:ohwell:

Replies

• jcjammin
    jcjammin Posts: 26 Member
    Boy I hear ya! I'm right at that same stage, working my butt off but not seeing much results. Stick with it though because in the end we will be healthier!
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    So true! I have to remember the health factor.

But, older ladies! Where are you?
  • maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Here I am at 45 and I have lost an gained over the years. One time I lost 90 pounds but I was around 32 years old and I looked good. Now at 45 am I going to look old . This scares me to be lean and healthy but look alot older than I really am.
  • drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Well I am 46 and trying my hardest to get the stubborn weight off. It's going to take more time than I would like, but I will get there. I feel like I'm in my early 30's so I can't let this old body slow me down!
  • kalghoul
    kalghoul Posts: 14 Member
    I'm 53 years old and have lost 12 pounds so far (since mid september). I have about 10 more to go to reach my goal and it is hard! But since I have a strong family history of heart disease, I am determined to get back my cardiovascular health and lower my risk!

I agree that it is harder to lose weight for us (post menopausal women) than for those 20 and 30 something gals. The metabolic rate is slower now. But exercise can bring it back up --especially if you do some strength training.

Feel free to friend me if you want!

Kris
  • fitzonegirl
    fitzonegirl Posts: 26 Member
    here I am at 50...soon to be 51...had a hysterectomy at 47 and within 2 months I put on 20 pounds! UGH!!!! I started out walking and then jogging but sooooo slow to lose...of course I would be really good at healthy eating and then blow it completely!!! I joined a fitness place where she had lots of different exercise routines to do...Zumba, weights and cardo,trx, bosu and step aerobics. I worked on eating healthy and slowly it is coming off..lost the 20 and 10 more...not the number on the scale I want BUT I have lost inches and I am the strongest I have ever been! Still run and walk too! Dont give up it may take longer BUT it is worth it!!!!
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Hello,

NO - don't give up. it takes longer but you know how fast time zooms along! I'm at 9 months of using MFP and just about halfway to my goal - but it look me 15 years to gain 45 pounds, so if it takes 2 years to lose it, I'm okay with that. I'm not in a race and every pound is a victory.
  • dcglobalgirl
    wow!! Thank you everyone!! You women are AMAZING!!! :drinker:
  • dcglobalgirl
    Well I am 46 and trying my hardest to get the stubborn weight off. It's going to take more time than I would like, but I will get there. I feel like I'm in my early 30's so I can't let this old body slow me down!

It's not fair, you still look like you're 30 too!!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    I am 49. With a trainer (right before, during and after my divorce) about 4-1/2 yrs ago, at 44 I lost 40 pounds -- lots of hard work and watching everything I ate. I still have 25 or so to go and wish I could hire a trainer again but can't right now. I am not quite as motivated as I was then but I am very fit and I know I am losing slowly, doing both cardio and weights. You CAN do it!!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    If your goal is to look like a 20 yo at 45, then yes, throw in the towel. But if your goal is to be fit and healthy, and look as good as you can, then hang on to the towel and use it to mop the sweat off your face as you workout.

I am 51. Last year I lost 27 lbs. I've been maintaining it since. It is harder now, but not impossible. I don't look like I did when I was 20, 30 or even 40. But I look d**** good for a 51 yo grandma!!!

This is true.
    I am 50. I have lost weight (I'm about 35 lb down from where I started in Jan 2006) and KEPT IT OFF. MFP has helped me a lot. I strongly recommend weight lifting- I started last year and it is really helping me reshape my body. I don't look 20 for sure- but neither do I look 50. Seriously. But we lose muscle mass with age and some type of strength training is a great addition to the dieting. I made the mistake of dieting too much and exercising too little before (2006-8) - now I am catching up.
  • dcglobalgirl
    If your goal is to look like a 20 yo at 45, then yes, throw in the towel. But if your goal is to be fit and healthy, and look as good as you can, then hang on to the towel and use it to mop the sweat off your face as you workout.

I am 51. Last year I lost 27 lbs. I've been maintaining it since. It is harder now, but not impossible. I don't look like I did when I was 20, 30 or even 40. But I look d**** good for a 51 yo grandma!!!

Love this! So true!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    I'm 51 and I have had great success here. I started out at 146 and have gotten down to 125 way smaller than I ever thought I could get and before this I was struggling to lose the weight. It can be done. One thing I suggest is keep a journal on your weight loss. I have done this in my blog on here and therefore I can look back at it and explain what I have done to others.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    It is not so hard to lose the weight, once you get into it, I am 52 and have have lost the weight that I wanted to lose and been in maintenance for 2 months. It took me a year to lose 42lbs but I thought slow and steady wins the race.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!