YOGA VS. PILATES

Hello everyone,

I told myself that when I got down to a certain size that i would include yoga into my workout routine. Now i'm hearing about how pilates is better for the core, abs and obliques and lower back area. This sounds like exactly what I need.
Does anyone do yoga or pilates??

Whats the difference?

Which should I choose for overall body toning. I do enough cardio so i'm good with that!

Any advice???

Holla back, guys!!

Replies

• Xarina
    Xarina Posts: 25 Member
    Why not do a little of both and then decide which one you like better?
  • aschr690
    aschr690 Posts: 41 Member
    Yoga is more about balance and flexibility. Pilates still helps with those things, but focuses more strengthening using your own body weight.
  • I've never done yoga but I love Pilates, it's helped with my back problems and I have an abdominal wall again!!! It really focuses on those core muscles!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    I don't really care for pilates but I love Yoga! There are a lot of great yoga DVD's out there but taking a class in a studio is so much nicer. There are many forms of Yoga and some of them can be quite challenging. If I were you I would try both...pilates and yoga!

I would also like to add that for 'toning' aka strength training......lifting weights and body weight exercise have been the better route for me. Squats, lunges, dead lifts, bench presses, overhead presses, pushups....all the compound moves do wonders in shaping your body!!
  • BoohBaby
    BoohBaby Posts: 50 Member
    Thank you guys.... THis is all very helpful information. I'm trying my first yoga class today. I'll definetely keep you guys posted with the results.
    AGAIN, thank you for your support .

Oh and BTW, I do include stregnth and resistance training to my routine atleast 3 times per weelk
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Yoga tones my abs. I have to do it in a class, it's more challenging and the teacher and correct my position.

Pilates can't work miracles for your abs as long as fat is still covering them. Only diet can get you flat abs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    My doctor recommended pilates or yoga so I was in a bit of the same boat. I ended up going with pilates but I don't have a scientific reason. lol It makes me super sore and I figure that's a good thing. It gives me a ton of energy too.
  • 1JenMilam
    1JenMilam Posts: 108 Member
    Thank you guys.... THis is all very helpful information. I'm trying my first yoga class today. I'll definetely keep you guys posted with the results.
    AGAIN, thank you for your support .

Oh and BTW, I do include stregnth and resistance training to my routine atleast 3 times per weelk

Good luck! I am signing up for Yoga classes at work 1 day a week for 5 weeks just to get a feeling for it. I'm scared out of my mind :ohwell: This is in addition to taking Kick boxing 3 days a week.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    I prefer yoga, but I think it is because I have been doing it for longer. I also like the way it relaxes me.

Your best bet is to try both and see which works best for you.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Have done quite a bit of both, at home and in studios. Pilates to me is almost more of a strength training exercise and it will definitely help tighten up your core, your muscles will feel it the next day. Yoga is a whole mind/body experience to me, much more all involving, working on all parts of your body plus helping to clear your mind. And don't think for a nanosecond you won't get a good workout from yoga, especially if you take it in a studio with a qualified instructor. Bet you never have seen an out of shape yoga instructor...they usually have rockin bodies, should tell you something. They are really 2 totally different exercises to me, I love them both. If I had to pick one, I would base it off of your other workouts, if you need more strengthening go with pilates, if you want a total body stretch/workout go with yoga. Try both,,,see which you prefer!
  • BoohBaby
    BoohBaby Posts: 50 Member
    Have done quite a bit of both, at home and in studios. Pilates to me is almost more of a strength training exercise and it will definitely help tighten up your core, your muscles will feel it the next day. Yoga is a whole mind/body experience to me, much more all involving, working on all parts of your body plus helping to clear your mind. And don't think for a nanosecond you won't get a good workout from yoga, especially if you take it in a studio with a qualified instructor. Bet you never have seen an out of shape yoga instructor...they usually have rockin bodies, should tell you something. They are really 2 totally different exercises to me, I love them both. If I had to pick one, I would base it off of your other workouts, if you need more strengthening go with pilates, if you want a total body stretch/workout go with yoga. Try both,,,see which you prefer!

Great advice!! Okay, so what I'm going to do is try both to get the overall total body experience
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    I can't really comment on either, as I'm just starting out myself. I will, however, mention that yoga has been very good to this 93 yr old yoga instructor named Tao Porchon-Lynch (google her to see her in action)

http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/how-worlds-oldest-yoga-instructor-stays-young

I was reading about her. Just blew me away. In her spare time, she competes in ballroom dancing. *blink*
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    I would do some research into the different types of yoga, some are more vigorous than others. For me, I love that yoga is more flowing and less like doing sets of strength exercises. So to me it feels like a beautiful dance. Yoga has just been more fufilling to me over all!

My favourite type of yoga is Sattva (which is sort of a hybrid between vinyasa, hatha and pranayama/meditation)

Good luck, and I hope you like it!
  • going2befit4ever
    going2befit4ever Posts: 225 Member
    I do both once a week at least cos I like how I feel after the workout. don't think i would choose to do only one cos my body responds differently to both workouts
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    So much depends on the style and the teacher - best to try classes in both and see what works for you. I'd like to do Pilates but apparently the teacher locally runs it like a bootcamp, which is NOT my style - I'm not in the least competetive. I'm planning to try yoga though.
  • _april
    _april Posts: 10
    I do a pilates "crunch" dvd and a yoga meltdown dvd from Jillian Michaels. They are two of my favorite workouts.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    they are completely different.

yoga is a much more peaceful, centering experience. it's great for flexibility, clearing your head, and balance. the feeling after a yoga session is something you should def experience. Even in a beginner's yoga class, you will leave being amazed at positions you achieve. You walk away with feeling how powerful and wonderfully capable your body is.

pilates is imo much more of workout, if that is your aim. It will do more for your core than yoga. It also improves flexibility.

I think you should try both or incorporate both. No reason to just do 1!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I would urge you to abstain from those resistance exercises you speak of. Try to stick with pilates AND yoga - maybe alternate days? You don't want to get too bulky, do you? My friends list is full of bulky women, I just don't know how to tell them to cut out the weights :( One of them regularly embarrasses male gym-goers by out-lifting them, that's just wrong on all levels.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I would urge you to abstain from those resistance exercises you speak of. Try to stick with pilates AND yoga - maybe alternate days? You don't want to get too bulky, do you? My friends list is full of bulky women, I just don't know how to tell them to cut out the weights :( One of them regularly embarrasses male gym-goers by out-lifting them, that's just wrong on all levels.

*ahem*
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member

*ahem*

ditto. I do yoga, love it, but it doesn't lift me the way that squats do. Not bulky, but it makes me look oh so good from behind. :)