Women getting bulky!??

Replies

• ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    I keep reading that less cardio and more lifting is the way to go...

How do we explain the physique of marathon runners?
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    I :heart: the weight room! The only bulk I have on me is because of my fat. I love that I can feel myself getting stronger and I can feel my muscles under their insulation :laugh: I'd rather be considered "bulky" with muscle than fat any day but the possibility of me bulking up is so slight it never crosses my mind until I read a crazy thread of women scared they'll look like Arnold if they lift something heavier than a 1lb weight.

The guys are used to seeing me in the weight room and I think it's cute when one guy in particular keeps telling me I might want to try a lower weight. He's so sweet! Something about lifting weights just makes me have a great day. And it makes me feel badass :happy:
  • I keep reading that less cardio and more lifting is the way to go...

Low body fat? They're not trying to have "big, heavy muscles". They want to be as light as possible for their running. Much different than sprinters.

endurance.jpg
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    bulky=bad? what defines bulky?

cus I'll take one of those bulky booties anyday! I wanna be able to crack a coconut open with my butt-cheeks!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Do women realize that it's almost a physical impossibility to lose their feminine features and start looking too bulky just from weight training and lifting heavy weights (relative to their strength)?

So many women are paralyzed by this fear that they never get to reach their potential of physical strength and muscularity and all the benefits that come with it: better fat loss, faster metabolism, injury prevention, better immune system, a better looking body, etc, etc.

Natural men as is have a hard time putting on muscle. If a man does everything right, if he eats, sleeps and trains right, he will be lucky to put on 3 - 5 pounds of pure lean muscle tissue in a year! So compare that to females, who have up to 20 TIMES LESS testosterone than men! That translates into a fraction of 1 lb of lean muscle gain in a year in comparison.

So please know that it's a mere fantasy that you will ever look "too bulky" from weight training, because your body simply can't give you the type of muscle gains needed to look bulky. If you ever see a "bulky" looking woman, it's either because of high body fat percentage or because she's injecting male hormones into her body.

Yes this is SO TRUE!!!

Lifting weights is KEY. I recently had my DXA scan done and at 51.5 years of age I have the bone density of a super athletic 30 year old. That is a direct result of lifting for over 30 years. Now if that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what is! Also I believe it is why most people think I look much younger than I really am.

Because of this I don't have to worry about osteoporosis. If you wait until you are older and your bones start to deteriorate it's a bit too late, you can't get back what you lost, and you can only start a resistance routine that will prevent further damage.

If you are female you don't have the hormones to get big naturally. I lift heavy and I'm still really tiny. My lean body mass is only 104 lbs and that is fairly heavy for a 5'1" female, and quite a bit of this is due to my having very dense bones from 30 years of lifting, not all muscle, and I'm still quite tiny.

My muscles really are not that big, but they show a lot of definition because I'm quite lean. If I gained some fat then I would have a softer more toned look (which is OKAY too!). Then if I gained more fat I would look bulky and hefty like I did most of my life until last year. YOU CAN HAVE WHATEVER YOU WANT. Lean and ripped, soft and toned, or hefty, it all depends on how much fat you leave on your body. Calories are the only thing that changes fat. Exercise is for changing or maintaining your lean body mass only. Lifting weights will give you the best bang for your buck for shaping your body. I finally changed my shape by putting lifting first and cardio 2nd. It is easy to fall into the trap of thinking you can cardio away fat, but really you cannot out exercise too many calories.

Even if intermittent fasting isn't for you this is a great article about the myths of bulking --> http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/intermittent-fasting-and-bulking/

And while we are talking about females here is more --> http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/womens-body-ideal-measurements/

It's good stuff! :)
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    I've been doing some heavy lifting lately. About 2-3 months and I haven't been making much progress. Perhaps my diet isn't right? Any tips? Meal plans? I'm on a real tight budget because its winter and work is slow.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    i don't understand the stink of fear that surrounds the B word. a bulky woman is a strong woman (literally). being a woman is more than hair and breasts and the slenderness of one's limbs. if all that makes you female is your anatomy, then you have a whole range of problems that have nothing to do with muscle.
  • californiagirl2012
    I keep reading that less cardio and more lifting is the way to go...

The elite runners are lean. I've run several marathons over the years, and while I didn't have a runners physique, nor do I really now even at 10% body fat, the majority of the average runners are not really that lean. A lot of my friends who are runners are not very lean but they are avid runners. I myself ran marathon after marathon while continuing to gain weight. I never knew how small I was until I learned to cut calories and lose 60 lbs. HINT: if you are short you are probably small. I didn't realize I ate too much because I didn't eat more than others around me. The problem was I ate too much for ME, so the weight accumulated year after year, decade and decade, even running marathons didn't stop it. Lifting weights did change my physique, but I still love running.
  • runnermama81
    runnermama81 Posts: 388 Member
    I actually have a question about this. When you women who lift heavy started did you "feel" more bulky at first? I dont mean body builder bulky, but just pants getting tight even though youre watching calories? I have started insanity and feel this way. I rememmber feeling this way when I lifted in high school too. I guess my question is, is this temporary?
  • californiagirl2012
    I've been doing some heavy lifting lately. About 2-3 months and I haven't been making much progress. Perhaps my diet isn't right? Any tips? Meal plans? I'm on a real tight budget because its winter and work is slow.

It takes a long time to develop muscle. Keep at it. Some training programs are better than others. You will improve your bone density if you keep it up which will help you as well when you are older. You don't need to eat extra to develop your muscles. If you have fat to lose you can still eat at a calorie deficit while developing muscle. My doctor had me do a DXA scan and checked my hormones throughout my weight loss journey, from obese to 10% body fat and it proved I did not lose lean body mass or go into starvation mode.

Calories determine fat gain/loss. Eating just enough, not extra, is enough to develop your muscles. If in doubt check with your doctor.
  • I want to lift heavy sh#t!

Whether or not women "get bulky" is just hogwashery in its most misogynistic form. The photos being posted are dopers. The end.

The natural gal lifters ya see in pics are just super swole from a very recent blood pumping workout. If they don't have a fat layer and you see them in "clothes" (i.e. not their lifting / photographing wear) they look like super seriously hot and fit folks.

I, for one, am champing at the bit to get back home (in Beijing for a year) and back to my CF affiliate and into the personal programming lessons I've signed up for. HOOAH!
  • ummmmmmm id love a huge big woman to toss me around in the bed room hahahaha! im just joking!!! I crack myself up!...:huh:

haha.... totally agree! (minus the "i'm just joking!!!" part). :-)
  • I agree with the OP, but I have had this discussion over and over and read it over and over in these forums and I think that there is a translation issue with the term bulky. When SOME women say they don't want to get "bulky" they are actually referring to any sort of muscle definition. Many would call my arm and shoulder in my pic bulky, I'm sure, because there is shape and some definitiion to the muscle, albeit small because I still have high body fat.

Yep. They don't want to look "bulky" like Madonna. She's not bulky. She's not even particularly muscular. She just has very, very low body fat.

TRUE STORY about Madge. Have you ever seen this chick in real life? She's RIDICULOUSLY TINY! omg. like ITTY BITTY! The word "bulky" is just a word.

A Muscle is a MUSCLE. "Toned" and "bulky" and "defined" are just dumb words with either positive or negative emotions attached. The bottom line is too much fat is unhealthy. More muscle is more CAN DO. Period. All the other ****e is ****e.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I actually have a question about this. When you women who lift heavy started did you "feel" more bulky at first? I dont mean body builder bulky, but just pants getting tight even though youre watching calories? I have started insanity and feel this way. I rememmber feeling this way when I lifted in high school too. I guess my question is, is this temporary?

When you exercise, you retain water in your muscles (when they repair themselves). It is temporary and usually lasts between 2 - 7 days (decreasing over time).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

Not making progress in what way? Strength progression or weight loss?
  • Me! I love the weights and they love me. My friends gave me the same "don't lift too heavy" advise but after lost of research, I started upping my bar weight little by little. Plus that "is she really going to lift that" look I get from the guys at my gym is hilarious.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    I wish I could get a little bulky! Been lifting on and off for a decade but I'm just soft and jiggly because I love cake and beer far more than I like losing weight - apperantly :( I love that ripped sectioned shoulder look, and guns. Yeah. Sometimes I think about telling my doctor my asthma is out of control so I can get advair and then I can become a beefcake, because that is a steroid medicine and that is totally how it works :tongue:
  • Used to power lift in high school and have to say I was never worried bout getting too bulky! If you do it rite...without hormones its not really possible to get that kind of look. I jus started goin back to the gym and liftin, I luv the definition I'm getting. If women have a fear of the "bulky look" they should just do more cardio.
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member

It takes a long time to develop muscle. Keep at it. Some training programs are better than others. You will improve your bone density if you keep it up which will help you as well when you are older. You don't need to eat extra to develop your muscles. If you have fat to lose you can still eat at a calorie deficit while developing muscle. My doctor had me do a DXA scan and checked my hormones throughout my weight loss journey, from obese to 10% body fat and it proved I did not lose lean body mass or go into starvation mode.

Calories determine fat gain/loss. Eating just enough, not extra, is enough to develop your muscles. If in doubt check with your doctor.

Thanks-but I don't have a doctor
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    In agreement! I started working out doing compound moves with 'heavy' weights (for me anyway) and I dropped inches in my belly! I had been busting my butt doing cardio and just maintaining.....start lifting weights I finally started to see the changes I was working for!!!

Squats, lunges, pushup, pullups, overhead presses, bench presses.....these are the moves ladies!!!!
    I'm starting this same thing...I hope it works for me too!!