Need a kick in the pants.

Options
It is one of those days when I see the long long road I have ahead of me (still 80-85lbs to go) and it just seems too long and I want to give up or stop eating (not that I could) or do anything to not have to go through this journey for a third time. Each time takes longer, and each time I fix what I did wrong the time before, but it just seems too long.

How do you keep going when it feels like too long?

Also, while I have your attention, what are you stress coping methods? This is a high stress point in my life for various reasons and stress/emotions are the main reason I overate and regained last time.

Replies

• sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I can give you my stress coping mechanism: I exercise. There is nothing better for stress than exercise, you always feel so much better after you are done. Whenever I am feeling stressed I head to the gym, and I always leave feeling calmer and more centered than I did going in. I don't know what you are currently doing for exercise, but find something you really love.
  • dawndw
    dawndw Posts: 203
    Options
    Don't wanna kick you in the pants not sure how big your friends are :noway: We all have felt the same way. It takes time to realize what your triggers are. Stress is usually the biggest for each of us. I have become a fitness junkie and when I feel a bit over stressed I grab a bottle of water and either go workout or take a walk or just move in some way. Add me if ya like I log everyday and my diary is open.
  • zerapha
    Options
    Hi :)
    I started out this journey with 158lb to lose. I started this journey 2 years and 2 months ago, and I'm still not done. I've failed countless times - I came very close to goal (8lb away!) and then put back 23lb. One thing I've learnt is - just don't give up. I had a tendency to be like - 'well I screwed up anyway, I'll just have that 3rd slice of cake, and screw calorie counting'.

Logging food + exercise helps. Taking it easy on yourself helps. NOT comparing yourself to others helps. Dancing it out when you're stressed out helps - and when you screw up, draw a line in your head and restart your day from that point. 0 calories, 0 fat from THAT point. It's not something I came up with btw, I had to do CBT for a binge eating disorder, and that was one of the things my psychologist recommended. You've come so far, and you should be proud of yourself. Don't get complacent but don't beat yourself up either.

All the best :)

x
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    I started out this journey with 158lb to lose. I started this journey 2 years and 2 months ago, and I'm still not done. I've failed countless times - I came very close to goal (8lb away!) and then put back 23lb. One thing I've learnt is - just don't give up. I had a tendency to be like - 'well I screwed up anyway, I'll just have that 3rd slice of cake, and screw calorie counting'.

Logging food + exercise helps. Taking it easy on yourself helps. NOT comparing yourself to others helps. Dancing it out when you're stressed out helps - and when you screw up, draw a line in your head and restart your day from that point. 0 calories, 0 fat from THAT point. It's not something I came up with btw, I had to do CBT for a binge eating disorder, and that was one of the things my psychologist recommended. You've come so far, and you should be proud of yourself. Don't get complacent but don't beat yourself up either.

All the best :)

x

Thank you for being so incredibly supportive! You really are super! haha.
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I remember that even if I never lose another pound, I'm a lot healthier than I was 43 pounds ago. Occasionally I'll go back and find a picture of myself from back then and remind myself that I don't ever want to go back there. I also TRY to remember that my eating habits are changed forever, so it doesn't matter how long it takes. It's not like I have plans to eat this way until I hit goal and then go back to old tricks, so I just have to stay the course and try to be patient!
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I remember that even if I never lose another pound, I'm a lot healthier than I was 43 pounds ago. Occasionally I'll go back and find a picture of myself from back then and remind myself that I don't ever want to go back there. I also TRY to remember that my eating habits are changed forever, so it doesn't matter how long it takes. It's not like I have plans to eat this way until I hit goal and then go back to old tricks, so I just have to stay the course and try to be patient!

That is a good good point. It isn't like I plan to start eating horrible crap everyday in excess again, so this is almost more like a byproduct rather than the reason I'm doing it!
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I look to the mini goals... if I look at it as 60 lbs to go I would never make it! instead I look at it like "right... just 10 more to 200" when I get there it will be "just 25 more to 175 and the best weigh of my life" and so on! it's not the big steps it's the small ones. Right now I'm really looking forward to getting under 200 because I am buying myself a HRM! each goal I save up for a reward!

just look at the small picture not the big one and it's alot easier to get there and not so scary;.