Weight loss 1200 calories or less

Options
Pamy
Pamy Posts: 148 Member
Ok i have just heard that MFP wont let you go any lower that 1200 calories a day. MFP calculated that i need to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I have 71 pounds to lose. So as my weight goes down shouldnt i need to re-calculate my calories. If this is the case i would go lower than the 1200 cals which i dont think that would be enough for me to eat....id be starving!!!! please help

Pamela x:noway:

Replies

• Pamy
    Options
    Ok i have just heard that MFP wont let you go any lower that 1200 calories a day. MFP calculated that i need to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I have 71 pounds to lose. So as my weight goes down shouldnt i need to re-calculate my calories. If this is the case i would go lower than the 1200 cals which i dont think that would be enough for me to eat....id be starving!!!! please help

Pamela x:noway:
  • iojoi
    iojoi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I exercise to eat more
    exercise gives me the additional calories i need to eat :smile: :
    its a great reason incentive to exercise :flowerforyou:
  • kwill23
    kwill23 Posts: 122
    Options
    If you need to lose 71 pounds you should probably be eating more that 1200 calories, i only need to lose 40 and i get 1200 a day.
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, 1200 calories isn't much - I at 1/2 of a personal pizza from pizza hut and 2 breadsticks for lunch yesterday and it was like 700 calories already!:explode: But, I guess I would agree with ojo, I exercise more to eat more and try to choose your calories wisely - those breadsticks were disgusting anyway - what a waste of 300 calories:mad: :mad:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I started out needing to loose almost 40 lbs but now that I have 20lbs left I am still at 1200 calories a day. It can be done just like the others say work out to eat your workout calories
  • denisez
    denisez Posts: 8
    Options
    I've lost 90 pounds and have kept it off since January of 2006. I'm joining MFP now to get that last 30 pounds off!! Everyone is right, exercise to eat more. I used the six week body make over which has you eat 6 small meals a day and exercise daily about 30-40 minutes with a combination of cardio and resistence training. Eat your carbs in the early part of the day, that will give you more energy. Stick to natural foods, unprocess foods and those with fewer than 10 ingredients listed.

Good Luck!!
  • Pamy
    Options
    thank to everyone

good luck

Pamela

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • frankp
    frankp Posts: 83
    Options
    Pammy,

How many lbs. per week have you set your goal at?

If you change your lbs. per week goal you'll get more calories. I set mine to 1/2 lb. as I think that is more of an appropriate life style change that can be easily maintained forever. I don't believe in extreme diets, they're too hard and not a realistic lifestyle. Just my opinion, yours may differ.
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the minimum you should ever eat in order to loose weight healty . Since you have that much to loose you should start out eating more then that, also you are supposed to eat all your exercise calories. I have to loose over 140 pounds I have 1570 cal a day, plus with 60 to 75 min. of exersize I add around an aditional 500 calories to that. ( I have to start slow since I'm interested in being healthy and not have a heart attack). I would advise you to read the posts from Banks about newbies. By the way if you imput what you eat and your exercises it gives you how many calories you have for the day.
    I wish you success:flowerforyou:
  • Pamy
    Options
    I set my weight loss to 2 pounds a week do you think that is too much....should i go for a goal of 1 a week or a 1/2 like you? Youv lost 15 pounds so it must work eh! And i like your way of thinking a lifestyle change rather than a diet. Thanks for the advice ill take it on board!

Pamela
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    if you are at 1200 now, after you lose 10 lbs MFP will reset your goals for you, it wont let you go below 1200 so it will keep you at 1200. That means if you are set to lose 2 lbs a week right now, you will lose less weekly by eating the same amount. I started at 2 lbs a week at 1200 cals, now I am at 1200 cals but set to lose 1.9lbs a week I think. does that make sense?
  • chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    I set my calories at 1100 in case I forget to log something or over estimate my exercise calories. I'm afraid that calories are slipping by unnoticed, such as the veggies on my sandwich or the random bite of something.