Race to a 500 pound deadlift

13»

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Never used straps. Chalk & switch grip for the heaviest lifts.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    I use straps above 405, switch grip above 315 and regular below that.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    Got it!

359d1sz.jpg

Excellent! Good work!

And I use switch grip as high as I can go, then use straps - why wait for your hands to catch up when you can just keep going higher?
  • I never use straps unless I am doing some heavy rep work, but even then I try not, usually the last set or so if I feel my grip is fried.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Everyone lifting big, w/ or w/o straps? My lowly 315lbs lift was way easier with straps.

I've never used straps. Grip isn't typically my issue.
    I do double overhand up to sets in the mid 300s.
    Then I switch to over/under and chalk up.

Since we're in the powerlifting section I do feel obligated to say "You can't use them in competition so get used to pulling without them"
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    exactly ilovedeadlifts.
    straps shouldnt count on this one IMO.
    i'm still not using them. i personally like to work to the idea that if i cant hold it, i cant lift it. :)
    but i am the same, grip has never been an issue.

still a good 500lbs lift!!!

my comp is still a few weeks away yet. I pulled two singles @ 202.5kg (445lbs?) pretty easily two days ago.
    not made a PR on DL this cycle as yet. It was due next week, but i failed a 210kg last session due to fatigue, so i'l pull that next session, then PR in my final training week. then im taking 9 days off the heavy stuff in prep for nov 18. where i will pull 227 :p @ 89.9kg
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Hah. I'm still working on 200 lb but I'll be watching all you badasses!
  • mideon_696
    Hah. I'm still working on 200 lb but I'll be watching all you badasses!

for a little inspiration, this is a friend of mine:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t6Rg-r_hVc
    weighs like 50-55kg. lifting 120kg.
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 576 Member
    When it comes to straps and wraps, my opinion is if you're training for competition, then you shouldn't depend on them. If you're trying to test all your limits, then it helps to support your weak points while testing your strong points.

I powerlift for pure fun right now - my "training" is more on speed and explosiveness than overall strength, so I don't really need to have the grip to pull 500 just yet. The straps help me pull that much harder and give my legs the workout they need.
  • mideon_696
    fair enough.
    all im saying is that long term, getting that grip up to speed is important.

its good to know my grip wont fail me come comp.
  • I am working set of 5, triples, doubles or singles I always go strapless. Want to know my grip strength is there at the top end.
    I am working any sets for reps, then I might throw on straps if I feel my grip is going, but usually on a final set to make sure I get the assistance/hypertrophy work done.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    pulled 455 x 3 today no straps easy and explosive, and I credit this to using straps.
  • taso42
    On Friday I pulled a 405 for my new 1RM record. This was a big milestone for me. This was after being pretty fatigued after a final workset of 310x12. I'm sure I could do better than 405 if I went in fresh.
  • mideon_696
    good work there taso!!
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Forgot about this thread. I pulled 500 in January, but failed at 495 or 500 a few times since. In my competition on Saturday I pulled 475, 505, 525 for my three attempts and hit all of them.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    I'll be in on these. I nailed 450x1 last week. Just been PL for a couple of months now.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    I never wear a belt, and ive done 555 raw for a single. 505x4 was my highest for reps.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    bumping. Current PB 220kg. Looking to hit that 227kg 500lb at deadlift comp on Saturday. Pulled a relatively easy 200x4 after 6 work sets on Sunday. Feeling good. 84kg BW.
  • run2jeepn
    run2jeepn Posts: 183 Member
    Forgot to post it up here... Nailed 500 right before the New Year.. New Goal 550..
  • taso42
    Forgot to post it up here... Nailed 500 right before the New Year.. New Goal 550..

Congratz! :drinker: