No time to exercise!!

Hi,
I'm a working mom with two small kids. I work from home and when my kids are back from school I just want to spend time with them. In the evenings I am too exhausted to go out an exercise. Can you lose weight without doing a regular workout? Any suggestions as to how I can burn some calories?
Thanks!

Replies

• I have 5 kids and find any time I can. For example I am getting ready to go for a power walk pushing the kids in the stroller. You could go early in the morning before they wake up, you could crank music and all dance crazy for half an hour, you could do jumping jacks, push ups jump rope, run at the park. Ever little bit helps. You just have to really want it. It has to be a priority. No it isn easy but you can incorporate exercise in a lot of ways. What a wonderful example it will be to your kids
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Seeing that you work from home you may already do this...don't allow yourself to sit longer than 20 minutes (either at the computer or on the couch) get a small timer and set it for 20 minutes increments, when it goes off get up and do something active for 3-5 minutes, put in a load of laundry, load or unload the dishwasher, do 50 jumping jacks, if your home has stairs run up and down them, go to the mail box and march in place while sorting through it. By the time your kids are home from school you would have had a little over an hour of moderate to intense exercise depending on the activities you choose. Yes, it is possible to lose weight without regular, structured workouts but you will see results quicker and you will feel better and look better when exercise is included. Cheers and good luck:smile:
  • Gordy83
    Gordy83 Posts: 10 Member
    Are you checking how many calories you can burn with household chores? Ironing for example for an hour can burn off roughly 100 calories, hoovering is another good one. check online calculators to get accurate counters.

I used to struggle to get up at 6, now after a few weeks i can get up at 5 no probs and walk the dogs for 30-45mins before i get ready for work. the more active you are the easier it gets making the time to do it.
  • weaverc
    weaverc Posts: 158
    I agree! If you really want to find time to exercise you can incorporate it throughout your day. I get on the treadmill before my kids get up. When the weather is decent some of the girls I work with walk together during our lunch break. After work I take the kids for a walk or play with them at the playground. Somtimes they even enjoy doing an exercise video with me.

Just some suggestions:
    -If you live close enough to your kid's school, walk him/her to school and back home each day instead of driving.
    -Use an exercise/stability ball when you are at home working. It takes more abdominal muscles to sit on one of those all day instead of a chair and they are starting to become more common in the workplace.
    -Incorporate family exercise into your after school routine.
    -Focus more on exercising during the weekend.
  • AmberMommyTo2G1B
    AmberMommyTo2G1B Posts: 44 Member
    I am a stay at home mom of 3. You can do it, if I can do it. Believe me I probably do the least amount possible (I can only make it to the gym roughly 4 times one week and 2 the next, depending on the week, hubby works swing shifts). I have already lost about 26 lbs. You just have to want to lose weight.
  • sechmanojo
    sechmanojo Posts: 18 Member
    I have 3 small children and was crying to my husband about that same thing. The only thing that works for me is getting up at 5 :30am and going to work out. It sucks but at night I am too tired so I go to bed slightly earlier then rise early to workout and am back by 6:40 to send my hubby off to work. I am enjoying the fact that I don't have to get the kids ready and I feel good about my body after I work out so I am ready to be their Mommy! At night I also want to spend time with my husband and kiddos. You can do it with them like taking walks like one girl suggested, but walks don't cut it for me, I cannot get the sweat going on and the kids don't last very long without wanted to stop look at bugs and leaves.Also they are 4, 2 and 11 months and it is just hard to transport them all by stroller. and the 4 and 2 year old want to look at everything.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    I am a full time mother, full time employee, full time wife, and a full time daughter. I don't have time to sneeze most days, but I ALWAYS find time to exercise and if that means dancing with my daughter at home after work, I do it. It engages her in the exercise, we're spending time together, and i'm burning calories. I know it's hard, and it's very trying to try to figure out how to add exercise in your day (I do it during my lunchbreak), but there is always a way! Do it, you won't regret it!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    I work from home as well and I get to the gym everyday. I eat lunch while working and then take off for the gym to walk on the treadmill for an hour. Before i started going to the gym, I would pop workout dvd's into my laptop and work out right in my office. It should be easier for us than people who have to go into an office. You have to make time for yourself. Put yourself first. I know it goes against the grain for us women, we always take care of everyone else first. I have changed my mentality on that one. I come first now and everything else comes after me taking care of myself.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    I have 2 kids and work full time. I kept using the lack of time and child care for not joining the gym. Finally, I decided that DVD's were better than nothing. I bought BL weight loss yoga and bootcamp. After my kids go to bed I do at least one. Last night, I was exhausted and did not motivate myself until 9:30, but I did it. They are only about 30 minutes, and really do give you extra calories on the days you need it and I do feel better about myself. They are only 9 bucks at walmart, cheaper than a visitor's pass at the gym. Worth a shot.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    I have 3 kids and I also work from home running a daycare. During the day I find 15 mins here or there to jump on my elliptical. The also jump on it at night while the kids have their 30 min of TV time (they don't get tv besides that). We also go for walks or dance. Now I have also joined a Latin Aerobics class 2 nights a week this takes me from my kids for 2 hours a week but I believe I need me time too. I have to exercise because there are some days I feel like I am starving and need the extra calories to eat :)
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    I take my little one to the gym daycare (she begs to go!!) every evening after work. I go straight from work to pick her up, then head to the gym. On my 'off' day the other day, she and I danced the Cha Cha Electric Slide for 30 minutes together :laugh: . She's 4 and loves it!. I was sweating by the time we were done.

Oh and I work two jobs, have three children, help run an abuse support website and lead a gaming group online. I used to say I didn't have time, then I made time. If I don't take care of myself, no one is will.
  • micnic
    micnic Posts: 16 Member
    I just wanted to say I am in the same boat. I too have 2 small boys (2 and 4) and find it very hard to find time to work exercise into my schedule. I work full-time out of the home and work 4 - 10 hour days. My 3 day weekend is with my boys and my family. I do get in some exercise playing with them but do not find any free time to commit to a strict exercise regimen. I am unable to exercise before work since I already get up at 4:30 am to get ready for work and when I get home in the afternoon at 6:00 pm it's supper time, baths and bed. So I know how impossible it can seem. I have started walking some during my lunch break though. Maybe you could take you a work break during the day and get a little exercise in then. As for your question regarding losing weight without exercise. I do believe you can do it. Of course, it's all about burning more than you take in but I'm sure you know that. I have to be consistent on counting my calories and, if no exercise, eat only about 1300 calories/ day to lose about 1-2 lbs per week. It is really hard sometimes but so far, i have consistently lost each week doing this. Of course, it's better for you to be able to get some exercise in too and help tone up as your losing weight. Good luck to you! :)

137920.png
  • You're not the only one! I don't live in a neighborhood, so no sidewalks...My husband is up and gone at 5 am so I can't go to a gym before he leaves and there aren't any affordable ones close by that I could go to anyway. My lunch break is the time I used to powerwalk for an hour but it was just pushed back to 30 minutes (new management).

For right now, it's already dark by the time the kids and I are home, but after the time change this weekend it'll be much better!! I joined a running/walking club at my church and we meet every Saturday at 7:00 am. It's been wonderful and right now, that's the only exercise I get but plan to go to my church after work upon the time change, and walk in the evenings.

The only other thing I'm able to do right now is work out using my Wii Fit! It's fabulous for yoga, some jogging and plenty of other great workouts. The kids can exercise with you too and it's fun for all of you!

It's not easy - I know that - and all of us have different opportunities during our days/evenings. Find something simple that will work for you and your family!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    It's hard to make time when you feel like you don't have time. What I learned is that I'm a better mom, better wife and I'm happier when I take an hour or so a day for myself to run or go to the gym. On the weekends I go at 5:30 before everyone wakes up and during the week I go right after work before I pick them up from day care. The kids will understand and be proud of you at the same time. Kids WANT their parents to be happy and healthy. If you aren't happy with the way you look or feel, they can see that. Getting in 3-5 good work outs a week to improve the way you feel will make them excited and proud! Trust me!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    I feel for you ladies with small children, it must be incredibly hard to find the time to exercise if you're also working.

I don't have kids but in my un-healthy days it was hard to find time to exercise; I was always too busy at work to go at lunch time and too tired/hungry/cranky to go after work.

Several years ago I decided that the only time that would work for me is early morning, before work. I get up at between 4 & 4:30 to be at the gym by 5:30 for an hour workout and then to the office by 7-ish, 5 days a week. That is the only time I've been able to stick with - thank goodness I'm a morning person!

The benefit to a morning workout is that I go before I can think of any excuses not to! The downside is that in order to get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, which I need to be healthy and feel good, I have to go to bed by 8 or 9 pm. Not a big deal during a cold, dark Canadian winter, but once summer comes it's not easy to go to bed so early. And that's probably not an option for people with kids, not if you want to spend any time with them!

Good luck to everyone!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    I just suggested this to a friend- she had no time to spend with her son becuase of work, school and working out. Why not combine two things at once? Workout with your kids- whether it be dancing to Richard Simmons or walking or riding bikes. Bonding excercise is awesome for everyone becuase it gets your heart pumping and the kids smiling!
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    I just want to thank everyone for your replies - you made me realize that I have to take time to look after myself. I've started doing pilates and aerobics classes and I feel much better already. Thank you!
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    I have to small boys 3 and 10 months and I work full time. I used to say that because I could not get to the gym, my husband works nights, that I just could not work out. I went to walmart and bought 3 dvds, all biggest loser, and did them after the kids went to bed. I was EXHAUSTED! But I felt better once I got into the routine. The Shred, by Jillian Michaels is only 20 minutes and it kicks my butt! It also helps that if I do the DVD, I get to have my popcorn when I am watching TV afterwards!! You can do it, and you will feel better when you do.