How do you define skinny?

13»

Replies

• sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    A flat stomach
  • I have learned since joining mfp that skinny is used as an insult to a person's health, fitness, muscle and abilities.

I get called slim, slender, thin, healthy, svelte, fit, athletic, strong, small, petite, tiny, little, dancer body, even curvy. You'd be surprised how muscular a small person can actually be. Some people are just small when they are healthy and fit (a natural result of being an athlete or dancer). Generalizations are stupid. People can be pretty dumb. People that feel the need to insult other people's bodies should try channeling that into improving their own physical abilities.

lol " Generalizations are stupid" is a generalization.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I have learned since joining mfp that skinny is used as an insult to a person's health, fitness, muscle and abilities.

I get called slim, slender, thin, healthy, svelte, fit, athletic, strong, small, petite, tiny, little, dancer body, even curvy. You'd be surprised how muscular a small person can actually be. Some people are just small when they are healthy and fit (a natural result of being an athlete or dancer). Generalizations are stupid. People can be pretty dumb. People that feel the need to insult other people's bodies should try channeling that into improving their own physical abilities.

lol " Generalizations are stupid" is a generalization.

I guess, a generalization about generalization (starts getting into circular logic). Kind of a benign generalization. I meant generalizations about people, not concepts. I probably shouldn't have said people can be dumb.

I was feeling a little grumpy when I wrote this, anyhow. I'm still feeling grumpy now, too. Kind of a been a bummer day, in general (haha).
  • When you look at their arm when it's at their sides and the upper arm fat doesn't pudge out. It just looks bony. Also, thin legs and no stomach pooch.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Its relative.

I've noticed that people tend to call people who weigh less than they do "skinny"

Also it is a compliment if you call someone that's not actually skinny skinny...

And it is an insult if you call someone that is skinny skinny...

Public correctness sucks.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    People loaded with thin privilege.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    This was originally my motivation. No homo but the dudes hot.

ian-somerhalder-22.jpg

yes he is ..this is what I told santa I wanted under my tree this year!
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    to me, calling someone "skinny" is not a compliment, just like calling them "fat".

Definition:
    skinny [ˈskɪnɪ]
    adj -nier, -niest
    1. lacking in flesh; thin
    2. consisting of or resembling skin
    skinniness n

I probably am oversensitive to it, but when someone looks at me and says something about me being so skinny, it really annoys me! In my mind, skinny is someone that is under to low-average weight with little to no muscle tone - not athletic at all.

like this guy:
    skinny-guy.jpg

I agree with this. I get very offended if people call me skinny. I am NOT skinny, far from it. I have curves, muscles, etc. Just because I'm not fat doesn't mean I'm skinny.
  • BinaryPulsar
    I only meant from the stuff I was reading in the comment thread that skinny would not be how I would describe myself based on the definitions being given. And, I did not mean that it was any kind of hardship or anything like that. It's not so serious. And it wouldn't bother me if someone called me skinny, as long as they did not mean it the way people in this thread do. Health is important to me too, and that's ok.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    23024889.jpg
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    I guess I define it two ways in my mind. If I think 'skinny' for a guy, I automatically think unattractive, like the picture above. When I think 'skinny' for a girl, I think well, thin. Goal Weight type thin. I've never really put much thought into it. Was skinny and mostly underweight my whole life, just started gaining weight in the past year or so due to some health issues, and pregnancies. And I guess when I think skinny, I think of the way I looked before. And to be honest, I don't wanna look like that again. Or anywhere near it really.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I am skinny, lean, thin, however you'd like to say it. No one in their right mind would call me fat. I don't consider it a negative term and have never heard it used as such outside of fitness circles. I would never have thought to feel insulted at being called skinny before spending too much time on the forums here.

This! :flowerforyou:
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Bones stickin out
  • BinaryPulsar
    I am skinny, lean, thin, however you'd like to say it. No one in their right mind would call me fat. I don't consider it a negative term and have never heard it used as such outside of fitness circles. I would never have thought to feel insulted at being called skinny before spending too much time on the forums here.

This! :flowerforyou:

^Yeah, that is good. This whole topic is actually pretty silly. If my brain hadn't been on vacation, I probably wouldn't have even bothered responding to it.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    thin and bony, little muscle tone....
  • BinaryPulsar
    ...and yet the nonsense continues. Didn't anyone actually read the question and register how absurd it is?