The motivation is dwindling..

Options
At the beginning of the year, I would go to the gym. That has come to a complete halt. Now, I do work out 2 hrs 4x a week due to swim practice and I eat less, but I seem to be eating more junk than not. I just don't know what to do. I KNOW I want to reach my goals, but I'm so stressed and paranoid about everything right now. College apps, school, jobs, money, etc that I can't seem to focus on myself. I hate this. I feel like with all the things I've got going on in my life, I have to put what I want on hold (and REGRESS) to catch up and it's making me depressed. Any help on balancing? I just want to lift at the gym since I get so much cardio in during the week. I'm pretty sure I gained from when I last weighed which was at least 2 or 3 weeks ago. I have 50+lbs to go now, I'm sure. Does anyone have any advice on how to squeeze everything in?

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Stress comes, stress goes. Often stress breeds stress; you have less time, you can't do all the things you want, leaves less attention for other priorities which make you feel bad for neglecting those.

The most important thing is not to give up!!! You may not be doing all you want, or all you should, but that doesn't mean it's McDonalds' SuperSize time.

It's easy to forget how far you've come, how much better being healthy and eating healthy feels than being unhealthy.

Just don't give up!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much..That really helped me. I keep feeling like giving up
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I take a few days or a week out. Still come on here to support people but give myself a little while free for all... Few days later I feel fat and bloated and realise it's not helping me so I'm back full force. Maybe that's the answer. Are you exhausted? Maybe give yourself a week out of training, rest and then come. Back stronger. Also from what your saying sounds like your struggling with depression. Thing about visiting the doctor. A good antidepressant makes the world of difference. Hope some of that helps!

Zara x
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    mine too :(
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Hey, this is a hard time of year for EVERYONE. It's stressful, it's getting dark early, it's getting cold, everyone is getting ready to eat 73 pounds of garbage because that's what we do this time of year.

A friend posted a comic - it's winter, and time to wrap ourselves up in depression like a cozy sweater.

It doesn't need to be that way. SeaKind, you've lost 21 pounds. Kassie, you've lost nearly 50!

*You* are the inspirational ones! You're the ones that prove it's all possible!

Cut yourself a little slack for not being super eager to go for a sprint. But when you cook yourself breakfast tomorrow, use less butter. When you go to the grocery store, just buy what you know you should.

Sometimes you'll be sprinting uphill and joyous the whole way. Sometimes you need to just put one foot in front of the other and keep making progress.

YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone <3
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Hey, this is a hard time of year for EVERYONE. It's stressful, it's getting dark early, it's getting cold, everyone is getting ready to eat 73 pounds of garbage because that's what we do this time of year.

A friend posted a comic - it's winter, and time to wrap ourselves up in depression like a cozy sweater.

It doesn't need to be that way. SeaKind, you've lost 21 pounds. Kassie, you've lost nearly 50!

*You* are the inspirational ones! You're the ones that prove it's all possible!

Cut yourself a little slack for not being super eager to go for a sprint. But when you cook yourself breakfast tomorrow, use less butter. When you go to the grocery store, just buy what you know you should.

Sometimes you'll be sprinting uphill and joyous the whole way. Sometimes you need to just put one foot in front of the other and keep making progress.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Wow, I love everything you said here! So right and spot on!!! Thank you for YOUR inspiration!!!!!
  • josachi
    Options
    College app season...I say give yourself a break until the end of the month! You've already done an AMAZING job, so you know how to do this and how to take care of yourself. But sometimes, taking care of yourself means being kind to yourself. Do the little things to keep yourself reasonably in check as others have said, but focus on finishing your apps and taking care of that priority (believe me, the stress goes WAY down once they are all finished). Then celebrate that you have finished by getting back to your routine.

You deserve to be good to yourself! Remember all that you have already accomplished. YOU GOT THIS!
  • skinnyinjapan1
    Options
    You should structure and organize to reduce your stress.

Make a plan about what you have to do, when the deadlines are, and structure your days so you get everything done.

I also don't think you should take days off, since you will be more inclined to give up completely. Be sure to plan your workout in everything else you're already doing.

That's how I do it with everything I have on my plate. :-) I'm maybe in the same position as you are; working on my thesis, taking 6 courses this semester, having to apply for scholarships & universities for my doctorate next year, having the pressure to have good grades to get into the doctoral program. Together with that I manage to work out every day and I'm learning Japanese (since I'm in Japan at the moment). It's doable! Good luck and work hard!