Gallbladder Cause Losing Slowly?

Options
Hi all. I am very frustrated as i have been for weeks now.

I've been noticing that people with similar stats to me are losing lbs and inches soooo much faster. I do know that everyone is different, however its making me more and more discouraged. I'm definitely not going to give up, but i wonder if there is something I can change??

First of all my stats. I started the site at 170 exactly 9 weeks ago. So far i have lost approx. 7 lbs. I very rarely stray from the 1200 cals, i try my hardest not to be under cals tho i do have a history of that. I do aerobic work outs almost daily but at least 4 days a week for an hour. i do consume a fair amount of sugar but feel that i have it under control at a healthy amount.

One factor that i have different than others is that i do not have a gall bladder. I was anorexic in highschool which put me in the hospital and led to the removal of my gallbladder at the age of 14 due to many gall stones. I know a little about it, but could this be what is making my loss so slow?

im just frustrated and looking for any answers that could be attributed to my sloooow progress.

I know, slow and steady wins the race, but going into this i felt like id lose a pound or more per week and my history of obsession over these things is only making it worse. Ideas? Anyone?

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I am very frustrated as i have been for weeks now.

I've been noticing that people with similar stats to me are losing lbs and inches soooo much faster. I do know that everyone is different, however its making me more and more discouraged. I'm definitely not going to give up, but i wonder if there is something I can change??

First of all my stats. I started the site at 170 exactly 9 weeks ago. So far i have lost approx. 7 lbs. I very rarely stray from the 1200 cals, i try my hardest not to be under cals tho i do have a history of that. I do aerobic work outs almost daily but at least 4 days a week for an hour. i do consume a fair amount of sugar but feel that i have it under control at a healthy amount.

One factor that i have different than others is that i do not have a gall bladder. I was anorexic in highschool which put me in the hospital and led to the removal of my gallbladder at the age of 14 due to many gall stones. I know a little about it, but could this be what is making my loss so slow?

im just frustrated and looking for any answers that could be attributed to my sloooow progress.

I know, slow and steady wins the race, but going into this i felt like id lose a pound or more per week and my history of obsession over these things is only making it worse. Ideas? Anyone?
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you are losing at a healthy rate. Many people on this site have been consuming 3000 or more calories a day and are now consuming about half of that a day, leading to their "quick" weight loss. And, of course, the quality of calories certainly affect the weightloss.

If you are not already seeking guidance, you may want to find a nutritionist and a couselor to help you deal with what you call your "history of obsession". At least until you feel like you are in control.

:flowerforyou: Best of luck!
    M
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I now am wandering about that also. I had my gall bladder taken out 2 years ago. I've lost 5 pounds on my own and when I joined MFP on May 2nd, 2008, I've only lost 3 pounds. People that joined around the same time as me have been losing more weight. I am so curious now!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    Thank you Megan..that was a very encouraging note!

pavang - im glad im not the only one wondering!!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Well, I had my gallbladder taken out as well, and I've lost 50lbs without it, so I don't have a clue if it has anything to do with losing slower or not...lol I hope you figure it out, I'm curious now too :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Megan is right--you are losing at a normal, healthy pace. The gallbladder's only function is the production and storage of bile, which helps break down dietary fat, but the liver can also produce bile, so you still produce it without a gallbladder. It doesn't have an effect on your metabolic rate.
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed when I was 21 and my doctor pretty much ordered me to lose weight. I had been eating alot of greasy icky college dining hall food, which lead my cholestorol to be high, causing the gall stones. ANYWHO... I tried normal calorie counting and it didn't work well for me. Which was off because it always had in the past. A friend recommended the South Beach Diet to me because it really helped you watch the Glycemic Index of foods... and ultimately how much cholestorol I was eating. I went hard core on SBD for 9 months and ended up losing 35 lbs. I got down to the final 20 lbs and was just tired of watching EVERY THING going into my mouth. So I've lived relatively low carb ever since then and I'm very concious of how sugary foods and foods with a high GI really affect my weight gains/losses.

My suggestion is to really look at the GI of all the foods you eat on a regular basis. I'm willing to bet they're pretty high. Especially if you eat alot of "diet foods" like those 100 calorie packs. Although it might only be 100 calories, its still cookies and chips which have no nutritional benefit.

I'm finally trying to lose that last 20 lbs, and its going slow. But slow and steady wins the race :o)

Hope that helps!!
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    SBS is correct - the gallbladder basically just stores bile, which is used for breaking down fat. Bile is produced in the liver. When you have your gallbladder removed, they just connect the duct from the liver directly into the top of the small intestine (where the gallbladder used to connect).

I went through this a few years ago, and haven't really noticed any effects (other than the absence of EXTREMELY PAINFUL attacks and trips to the ER where they told me it was ACID REFLUX :explode: ). Sometimes I get a little stomach upset if I have a very fatty meal, but that has always been pretty rare for me. It shouldn't have any effect on your weight loss - other than serving as a reminder of why you need to lose weight in a healthy way! (I now attribute my gallstones to a couple of juice fasts that I did, a couple weeks each time. Damn. :frown: )

So! I agree that you are losing at an OK rate, but if you are really only eating 1200 calories (even on exercise days) I would suggest eating a bit more. I got stuck at a plateau around 190 for about 3 weeks, and increasing my calories is the main thing that seemed to get me over it. I'd also suggest adding in some strength training to get your muscles going. There are lots of resistance exercises you can do at home that don't require special equipment or heavy weights.

Hang in there! You are on the right track, and just keep reminding yourself why you are doing this the right way - you are building healthy habits that you will be able to maintain for the rest of your life. :flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Options
    Thank you Megan..that was a very encouraging note!

pavang - im glad im not the only one wondering!!

Glad to help :smile:
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in February of this year.( No stones, just wasn't working) I started my weight loss earlier this month and lost almost ten pounds. I make sure I count every single morsel that I put in my mouth.

Maybe look at your journal to see what worked before.

Good luck!
  • iluvsparkles
    Options
    (other than the absence of EXTREMELY PAINFUL attacks and trips to the ER where they told me it was ACID REFLUX :explode: ).

thats exactly me! It took them so many times of telling me it was acid reflux, because they thought i was too young. I tend to stay away from fatty meals because its as though my digestion has no timer anymore! anything with excess fat goes Straight Thru! Sorry if thats tmi!

Thanks for all of yalls encouragement! im still anxious to hear from anyone else whos gone thru the gall bladder thing
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I actually had my gallbladder removed 8 months ago and gained 10 lb. And had severe constipation, for which I am getting a colonoscopy on Monday. But it is frustrating. I seem to have no control. So iluvsparkles, I am with you on this one. I'm going to ask my gastroenterologist on monday if removal of gallbladder causes decrease in weight loss. I'll let you know if I find out anything.
  • 2Shoes
    2Shoes Posts: 396
    Options
    (other than the absence of EXTREMELY PAINFUL attacks and trips to the ER where they told me it was ACID REFLUX :explode: ).

thats exactly me! It took them so many times of telling me it was acid reflux, because they thought i was too young. I tend to stay away from fatty meals because its as though my digestion has no timer anymore! anything with excess fat goes Straight Thru! Sorry if thats tmi!

Thanks for all of yalls encouragement! im still anxious to hear from anyone else whos gone thru the gall bladder thing

Ooooh, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about with the TMI.....it's called Bile Dump, and yes, it is very frustrating when you eat out, and you need to know where the bathroom is before you even take the first bite! Uuuggh....they told me it might not be a permanent thing. ...but reading your response, doesn't sound likely!
  • Fab140
    Options

Ooooh, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about with the TMI.....it's called Bile Dump, and yes, it is very frustrating when you eat out, and you need to know where the bathroom is before you even take the first bite! Uuuggh....they told me it might not be a permanent thing. ...but reading your response, doesn't sound likely!

Goodness! I will have to warn my husband (He'll be getting his removed soon at the ripe old age of 23!)
    :flowerforyou: Thanks!
  • maverickyanda
    maverickyanda Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Could be.

Appendix, kidney, gallblader or liver problems can cause wieght to be stubborn (or the opposite). Check with your doc or try foods on a lower GI index as someone else suggested.