Fairly new here and have several questions

Hi, I joined this website last fall, but fell off the wagon and just got back on. I would like to lose 15-20lbs. I have three young children and weigh the same as I did before kids, but my body looks different-a little flabbier and not as toned. I just want to feel good about myself and be able to look good in fitted clothing. That said, I have a few questions-

1. How do I decide how much/how long/what type of exercise to do?

2. Is it ok to do your exercise in over the course of the day? ie running in the morning and walking 1 or 2 more times throughout the day (With 3 children, it is hard to find a big chunk of time to do all my exercise at once.)

3. Does sugar free juice count towards your water intake?

I hope someone is able to answer my questions. You all seem pretty knowledgeable that is why I am asking you.

Thanks. Hope to get to know you guys better and be part of your support system in our weight loss journey.

Replies

• FitMomof3
    FitMomof3 Posts: 147
    Hi, I joined this website last fall, but fell off the wagon and just got back on. I would like to lose 15-20lbs. I have three young children and weigh the same as I did before kids, but my body looks different-a little flabbier and not as toned. I just want to feel good about myself and be able to look good in fitted clothing. That said, I have a few questions-

1. How do I decide how much/how long/what type of exercise to do?

2. Is it ok to do your exercise in over the course of the day? ie running in the morning and walking 1 or 2 more times throughout the day (With 3 children, it is hard to find a big chunk of time to do all my exercise at once.)

3. Does sugar free juice count towards your water intake?

I hope someone is able to answer my questions. You all seem pretty knowledgeable that is why I am asking you.

Thanks. Hope to get to know you guys better and be part of your support system in our weight loss journey.
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Welcome back!!! :bigsmile:

I am not an expert (by any means...) but I would say...

1.) Depends on your fitness level, interests, etc.
    2.) Yes
    3.) No

Hope that helps! Good luck! :flowerforyou:

~KB
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member

2.) Yes
    3.) No

~KB

everything kb said!!! lol

hugs and welcome back!!!!
    ali :drinker:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Welcome back.

1) Bodies change, trust me hun...I've only had ONE kid and I'm like, "What the hell...." Now, I've seen some who can bounce back and look amazing. Not everyone is like that though and it takes time to get used to a new body. There are things you can do to help....

2) Workout in ways that interest you. I bore quickly, so I have a plethora of videos. My sister-in-law just borrowed my Hip-Hop Abs (dance orriented). So it depends on what will keep you interested.

3) You can break up workouts throughout the day. As long as you are increasing your heart rate for to actually get to the point burning calories. Which means you may have to workout for at least 20-30 minutes each (depending on your workout of choice).

4) That varies on your perception. I personally count ANYTHING I drink (minus diuretic beverages) towards my water intake. I am HORRINLE at getting enough liquid in. So for me I count all of it. However, don't forget to also add in any calories you are consuming in the juice as well.
    Again, I am sure others have other answers for that. However for me it works. As of this second. I have drank 1 cup of water all day. See how bad I am at it?
  • sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559

2.) Yes
    3.) No

~KB

everything kb said!!! lol

hugs and welcome back!!!!
    ali :drinker:

Thirded, with one exception....

Most of the research I have come across seems to feel that juice is a hydrating fluid as long as there isn't a great deal of sugar and caffeine consumed with it.

WorldHealth.net has this to say.....

"Although we take water for granted, the fact is that water is a nutrient essential to life. Your body typically loses two to three quarts of water each day through perspiring, sneezing, breathing, urinating, defecating and, for some women, nursing a baby. Depending on how much physical work or exercise you do and how hot or cold the temperature is, you may lose more. The best way to monitor fluid intake is to watch the color of your urine, which should be light rather than dark. Half of all the fluids you drink should be water. Tea, coffee, milk, and juice count as fluids, but the water in foods (for example, fruits, vegetables and soups) does not. Consider that fluid a bonus."

So, that would make me feel that 3 isn't so much of a 'no' as a 'maybe'. Yes, juice will count towards your hydration, just make sure you are not drinking it exclusively.

Just my thoughts.

:wink:

-J