Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Allotted calories vs. burned calories

sfoutssfouts Posts: 4Member Posts: 4Member
Hi there,

I just signed up for the site and am really looking forward to using it - it looks like a very useful tool!

I did have one question though. It gave me a goal calorie allotment as well as a goal for calories burned. When I enter calories burned, it adds them to my allotted calories. For example, I should have 800 calories left today but I burned 300 so now it says I get 1100. Don't I need to consume the allotted calories AND burn the goal number of calories since I am trying to lose weight? I hope that makes sense-?

Thanks!

Replies

• sfoutssfouts Posts: 4Member Posts: 4Member
    Hi there,

I just signed up for the site and am really looking forward to using it - it looks like a very useful tool!

I did have one question though. It gave me a goal calorie allotment as well as a goal for calories burned. When I enter calories burned, it adds them to my allotted calories. For example, I should have 800 calories left today but I burned 300 so now it says I get 1100. Don't I need to consume the allotted calories AND burn the goal number of calories since I am trying to lose weight? I hope that makes sense-?

Thanks!
  • MikeMike Posts: 824Member Member Posts: 824Member Member
    Hi sfouts,

Glad you're enjoying the site! The goal we set for you is a net calorie goal which is basically:

Net calories consumed = Calories eaten - calories burned

So, if you burn more calories by exercising, you can actually eat more calories and still hit your net calorie goal. On days where you don't exercise, you have to eat less in order to still hit your net calorie goal, which gives you a nice incentive to make sure you exercise consistently. Does that make sense?
    Thanks for the quick response! That totally makes sense and I know that's how it "works," generally. I guess I just thought I had to hit both numbers - target calories consumed and burned. For example:

The calculator said I need to consumer 1200 calories per day and burn 760 calories per week.

I have eaten 400 calories today and have burned 300.

So, shouldn't I have to eat 800 calories today and burn 460 more calories within the week?

Otherwise, if the 300 calories are subtracted (or added depending on how you look at it) to the "consumption" allotment, I am not meeting the "burned" category because they're just being added back into the consumption piece.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense or if I am just making it more confusing than it needs to be!
    Hitting both numbers is definitely best - you just have to remember that the calorie number you are trying to hit is net calories consumed, not just calories consumed. So in the example above, you can eat a total of 1500 calories and still hit your net calorie goal of 1200 calories per day because you burned 300 calories from exercise. If you only ate 1200 calories, you'd actually be at 900 net calories. Some people prefer not to get any "credit" for exercising and instead stick to one calorie target every day regardless of exercise. We are going to try to put that option in, but the way our system shows your goals now accounts for the fact that when you burn calories, you can consume more and still create the calorie deficit that you need to lose weight.

Does that help clarify things?
    Yes - thank you! And thanks for building such a helpful tool!!!
    You're welcome! Glad you're enjoying the site.