Victoria's Secret Fashion Show

Replies

• MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    If the astrophysicist was Neil deGrasse Tyson I'd be intimidated. And a little giddy. And really excited!

I might watch the show. I'm always in the market for nice lingerie. The models don't effect me much one way or the other. They are young.... like, my granddaughter's age.... and not something I have nor or ever aspired to be. I like me just fine! I even liked overweight me. I just like thinner me better in a pair of jeans.

is it weird that i fantasize about having dinner with him? :D

I think I might pay to have dinner with him.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    If the astrophysicist was Neil deGrasse Tyson I'd be intimidated. And a little giddy. And really excited!

I might watch the show. I'm always in the market for nice lingerie. The models don't effect me much one way or the other. They are young.... like, my granddaughter's age.... and not something I have nor or ever aspired to be. I like me just fine! I even liked overweight me. I just like thinner me better in a pair of jeans.

is it weird that i fantasize about having dinner with him? :D

I think I might pay to have dinner with him.

I also love Neil deGrasse Tyson. My husband is a physicist also (plasma physicist).
  • We don't watch tv in our home, but I have seen the models. There are a couple of them that look fabulous, well they all look fabulous, but...I remember when I got a mail coupon from the company and the model featured looked very unhealthy. She looked like she was starving, super tall and rib bones out and such. It wasn't natural looking. Some women have rib features naturally but you could totally tell this woman needed to put on a good 5 pounds.

It's hard to not look at these women and feel bad. They are what society thinks is hot. And yes, they are. But they are far to thin for their height and I don't think that the body weight is healthy. Guess that's just the job though, right?

You feel bad for them? Seriously?

I meant feel bad about yourself. I haven't seen them recently, but the last time I did there were a few that looked dangerously thin and I was just sitting there like "Damn, this is what society wants from us, I'm just gonna have to give up ever eating again.."
  • i'm so with you!!!
    Hi everyone!

Tonight CBS will air the Victoria's Secret fashion show at 10/9c. Here is some food for thought you should read if you plan to watch tonight.

After last year's VS fashion show, which was watched by 10.3 million viewers, females could be seen on Twitter tweeting things like "Okay, so no eating," "2 hour workouts start tomorrow," and "Are they trying to make me starve myself?" Females of all ages can’t help but look at these models as prototypes for which they feel they should look like. I’m sure that some of the models work very hard to slim down, working out hard and eating right, or they have fantastic will-power, or they just have crazy metabolisms. Whatever it is, I’m sure some get their slender figures the “honest way.” I’m also quite certain that some of the models do it the “wrong way.” That is, they starve themselves and may even purge after eating. It is very sad to think that any portion of our population, whether young or old, might feel the need to harm themselves just to look like these models. And frankly, it’s just sort of hard to watch an emaciated young woman strut down the runway. Like I said, I don’t feel that all of the models are starving themselves; it would be unfair to make that assumption. However, for those who are doing it the unhealthy way, it is a serious mental health issue that the media has continued to ignore. It is also perpetuating these images to younger generations of girls and endangering their self worth as a result.

What do you think? Will you be watching the fashion show tonight?

***Disclaimer-- Let me just say that I absolutely respect those who will be watching the show tonight. I do not disapprove of the fashion show or Victoria’s Secret (I’m a loyal customer!) I simply choose not to watch the show because of an unrealistic, often unhealthy, ideal presented by the media.

- MT/RT
  • just eye candy and fantasy for silly men. lol!
  • Matters Not to me as long as their gonna pay their "fair share" -- your President will be watchin' the returns!!

I will most like be tuned in to The Blaze or Fox News..... while riding my stationery bike!

Peace and have a good evening :flowerforyou:
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Frankly, I know that those girl's bodies are so entirely out of reach for me that it doesn't affect my self-esteem or body image. Never will I be 5'10" with a D cup, unless I got all sort of implants. eek! I think they are beautiful, but I also think my body is an entirely different kind of beautiful, and I am okay with that.
  • Honestly, I looked at a few of the pictures and thought "hey, my rib cage looks better than hers" or "we have similar legs." I don't care enough about fashion or women to actually watch the show however.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    We don't watch tv in our home, but I have seen the models. There are a couple of them that look fabulous, well they all look fabulous, but...I remember when I got a mail coupon from the company and the model featured looked very unhealthy. She looked like she was starving, super tall and rib bones out and such. It wasn't natural looking. Some women have rib features naturally but you could totally tell this woman needed to put on a good 5 pounds.

It's hard to not look at these women and feel bad. They are what society thinks is hot. And yes, they are. But they are far to thin for their height and I don't think that the body weight is healthy. Guess that's just the job though, right?

I meant feel bad about yourself. I haven't seen them recently, but the last time I did there were a few that looked dangerously thin and I was just sitting there like "Damn, this is what society wants from us, I'm just gonna have to give up ever eating again.."

Hell, no I don't feel bad about myself. I eat and eat and eat, still slim. I like it. :)
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Have you folks not SEEn these women? They are not toned. They are skinny but they wiggle! If you want to look like them, don't eat and don't do anything physical.
    If you want to be healthy, on the other hand... :)

you couldnt be more wrong.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    I cannot deny a certain envy at the figures some of them have, and a curiosity as to what workouts they use that keep them lean, yet don't seem to bulk up their legs at all. Only a few of them seem to have much indication of visible calf muscles, and I must admit, I would love to have legs that were lean but not muscular, while still working out. I have the height, and the build potential, but evidentally, my legs beg to differ. 19 inch thighs - not too bad. 13.5 inch calves - not quite vs angel standard size, lol.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    We don't watch tv in our home, but I have seen the models. There are a couple of them that look fabulous, well they all look fabulous, but...I remember when I got a mail coupon from the company and the model featured looked very unhealthy. She looked like she was starving, super tall and rib bones out and such. It wasn't natural looking. Some women have rib features naturally but you could totally tell this woman needed to put on a good 5 pounds.

Hell, no I don't feel bad about myself. I eat and eat and eat, still slim. I like it. :)

How do you manage to eat and eat and eat and still be so slim?
    Exercise or just genetically blessed ? Genuinely curious.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    I don't mind the Victoria Secret models, most of them don't look too thin, which is more than I can say for a lot of designers. I mean, obviously there is a lot of effort and sacrifice plus genetics to attain anything close to their appearance. But, most of them don't look waif skinny like some I've seen. Ralph Lauren has had some of the worst I've seen. At least the Victoria Secret models still have butts.. lol

I'm not interested enough to watch their fashion show, but, I understand why it has appeal.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    The more someone proclaims that they'd never want to look like that, the more inclined I am to think that they do want to.
    The more someone goes on about how anorexic and gross they look, the more jealous the speaker looks.

They're hot, but for some of them it's a good thing VS bras are so padded lol. I'd probably trade my boobs for that body in a heartbeat though.

Also don't think there is enough of anything on those girls to "wiggle," and if they didn't have any muscle those silly headdresses and wings would knock them all over.
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Rihanna sound like crap....
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Might watch if I'm not still at the gym. My boyfriend rates the garments while I rate the girls. There is nothing abnormal about that at all, I'm sure.

Haha, best response XD
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Watching it because they are attractive and healthy!
  • I'm looking forward to watching it with my hubby. I love all the glitz and glam, the women look gorgeous, and it's all things girly. No complaints from us.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Rihanna sound like crap....

No spoilers!!!!!!