How do you lose 10 pounds in a month?

Can you give me food examples?
How often to eat them?
How much exercise?

I know everyones weight and height is different, but generally, what do I do?
Basically, I want to lose 35 in three and a half months.
I'm 5'5, 180 pounds. If you need to know that.

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    You should not lost 10 pounds in a month. 8 should be your max (2 pounds per week) but 1 pound a week is recommended by MFP. Also if you are closer to your goal weight it could be 1/2 a pound a week. Eat fresh fruits and veggies (not processed, frozen, or restaurant foods) and stick to your calorie goals on MFP. Eat at least 1200 a day. If you exercise eat back the calories you burn. Work out inbetween 3-6 times a week. Take at least 1 rest day to let your muscles recover.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    How often to eat them?
    How much exercise?

Specific food items or exercise programs will not cause weight loss. The key is a calorie deficit. I've lost fifty pounds in five months by eating the right number of net calories. You have to find the number of net calories that works for you. Pick a number. Try it for a month. Adjust accordingly. I got lucky, I guess, because the number I picked was the right number right of the bat.
  • Thanks :) I mean I've always said a calorie is a calorie but certain foods have a lot less calories so then I could eat more.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Sounds like you could use a basic book on nutrition. Learning about how foods provide a variety of nutrients and what they are is a good start to developing a healthy food plan.
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    How often to eat them?
    How much exercise?

I've just opened my diary, feel free to have a look. I had around 32 pounds to lose and I am almost at my goal in three months (I took a month break due to a long trip to Europe during which time I didn't track at all but managed to maintain my weight). Overall while tracking I have been loosing 10 to 12 lbs a month.

(Yeah I know, MFP recommends... I personally like seeing fast results, and losing continuously keeps me motivated. I don't eat junk food, cook most of my meals myself, and make sure to get all my macros and supplements)
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    I started @ 5'5" 180lbs...add me if you want! My diary is open to friends...I lost 10lbs this month but it's my first month doing this. I didn't really eat anything special...just stayed within my calorie limits and started exercising.
  • WendyTerry420
    Thanks :) I mean I've always said a calorie is a calorie but certain foods have a lot less calories so then I could eat more.

This is true! I keep high calorie foods at just one serving, or sometimes a half a serving. You can fit in lots of vegetables, and eating a variety of vegetables gives your body more nutrients so that you have more energy for your workouts.
  • Kassadeedle
    Kassadeedle Posts: 136 Member
    Also I think 35 lbs in 3.5 months would be kinda hard...I'm giving myself 8 months to lose 42 more pounds...
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Ten lbs. sounds unhealthy to lose in a month.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    I averaged 3.3 lbs a week for the first 4 months or so, by maintaining net of 1200 to 1400 with some peak and valley days. Exercise is the key.

I gained about 30 lbs back when I was out for a year hurt, so here I go again. This time I am taking it slower though.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    it depends on how big you are. You can totally do it if you are far away from goal weight.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    There are 3500 cals in a pound. You would need to have a daily deficit of 500 cals to drop that pound each week. So if you normally eat 2,000 cals, you would drop down to 1500, or 1750 and 250 worth of exercise cals burnt. Or eat 2,000 cals and burn 500 a day through exercise.
    Choose whole, unprocessed foods. Eat clean, avoid junk, drink water, be active :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Ten lbs. sounds unhealthy to lose in a month.

It's not unhealthy at all if you are severely obese. I have increased my calories recently to slow it down a bit.
  • Deanna_garnermommy
    Deanna_garnermommy Posts: 118 Member
    awesome advice.
  • You could try two days of juicing each week - on the days you do not exercise strenuously.
    Try veggie juices, berry smoothies, lemonade (with honey)
    Along with exercise and carb reduction/control you can lose a substantial amount in a month.
    But the juicing can be continued once a week.
    This really works
  • Feel free to add me to see my food diary. I don't really stick to the rules people seem to set themselves on here i.e. eating clean and exercising every day etcetcetc - I think what I do is more realistic and more of a long term plan?

I'm 5ft5 and started off at 200lbs, i'm now down to 160! I have set my goal at the recommended 1lb per week from MFP and eat all my calories including exercise. Despite this 1lb per week, I've lost over 10lbs this month, so I can't be going wrong! :)
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    You can totally lose 10 pounds in a month. But, it will take serious dedication to do healthy. It's all math.
    I posted this forum a little bit ago. This is how you lose the weight you want in the time you want to lose it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/807681-how-to-lose-10-20-30-pounds-in-so-many-months
    "Hey you guys,
    I'm HORRIBLE at math. So, when I finally found a website that actually broke down the numbers on how to lose weight, I was pretty thrilled!
    My attempt in November to lose a certain amount failed. I ate horrible. But, I'm not discouraged, just disappointed. Time to try it again for December :)

Anyway, if you ever wanted to lose 10 pounds in 30 days, or 15 pounds in 50 days or whatever, here's the math :) I hope this helps those who have a problem understanding and just need the nitty gritty broken down:

The facts:
    3,500 calories equals 1 pound.

The math:
    Let's say you want to lose 10 pounds in 30 days.
    If 3,500 calories equals 1 pound and you need to lose 10 pounds you multiply 3,500 by 10. (3,500 x 10 = 35,000)
    • You need to burn 35,000 calories in 30 days. How much is that a day? (35,000 ÷ 30 = 1,166)
    • You need a 1,166 calorie deficit a day to make your goal
    {Note: If you want to lose 15 pounds in 45 days or 22 pounds in 60 days, just replace the numbers.}

Now that you have that number, figure out how many calories you will be taking in for that 30 day period.
    Let's say you decided to take in 1,400 calories a day.
    The math here is add the deficit (1,166) to your daily calorie intake 1400: so, (1400 + 1166 = 2,566)
    • You need to burn 2,566 calories a day to make your goal.

The great news! People burn TONS of calories a day just by breathing, driving a car, etc.

So, what's next?

Figure out your BMR (basal metabolic rate) so you know what you need to really burn through exercise alone.
    Let's say your BMR is 1800. Here is what you need to burn through exercise alone...the math: (2566 - 1800 = 766)
    • You would need to burn 766 calories a day through exercise of whatever kind in order to lose 10 pounds in 30 days.

Something to remember:
    This is only math and calories. This is not taking into account hard core workouts like high intensity interval training. So, if you go on the treadmill and stayed on it until you burned 766 calories (if that was your end number) you'd lose your 10 pounds in 30 days.

*Weightlifting adds muscle and muscle burns even MORE calories :D

By the way, for those not familiar with BMR or how to find out yours, My Fitness Pal has a calculator:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

Hope this helps! It definitely helped me and made me feel TONS better to know what I just need to do. Now, if only I just get my butt in gear and do it! lol!"
  • mauswood
    mauswood Posts: 137 Member
    When I was first losing I lost 10 pounds per month. I stuck to 1,200 calories and I rode an exercise bike about 10 to 20 miles a day. I ate lots of veggies and hummus - not a ton of calories and it fills you up. I would make myself tuna salad with a bunch of veggies like celery and pickles cut up it in it - you can make a huge bowl of it for less than 200 calories plus you're getting protein. I tended to eat little snacks throughout the day to keep my blood sugar level and avoid binges. It's totally possible - you can do it if you put your mind to it.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    How often to eat them?
    How much exercise?

You could on ketogenic diet.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    friend me to look at my food diary. I have some recipes on there also. I am adding more every week.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!