Energy required to break covalent bonds of DNA

For those of you who fear microwave radiation:

The wavelength of light that is needed to damage DNA lies in the higher energy regions of the electromagnetic spectrum, the higher end of the Ultra-violet (10 x 10^-9 m to 400 x 10^-9 m), the X-Ray (0.01 x 10^-9 to 10 x 10^-9 m), or the Gamma (< 0.02 x 10^-9 m).

Microwave light lies in the low energy region of the electromagnetic spectrum, or 1 mm to 1 m.

Furthermore, the photon energy required to break one of the chemical bonds of DNA, if we use the canonical equations relating the wavelength of light to the energy of a photon:

E = hν

where E is the energy (J, Joules which is a unit of energy), h is Plank's Constant (6.626 × 10-34 J s), and ν is the frequency (s^-1) of the wavelength of light. The frequency is also expressed in terms of the wavelength

ν= c/λ

where c is the speed of light (2.9979 x 10^8 m/s) and λ is the wavelength of light (in meters, m).

So, the energy for a photon is

E = hc/λ

Plugging in the values for the speed of light, Plank's constant, and the higher enery end of the Microwave region, or 1 mm (1 x 10^-3 m), the energy of a photon is

E = [(6.626 x 10^-34 Js)(2.9979 x 10^8 m/s)]/ (1 x 10^-3 m) = 1.986 x 10^-22 J

Similarly, the energy of a photon in the lower and upper regions of the Electromagnetic spectrum are

E = [(6.626 x 10^-34 Js)(2.9979 x 10^8 m/s)]/ (400 x 10^-9 m) = 4.966 x 10^-19 J

E = [(6.626 x 10^-34 Js)(2.9979 x 10^8 m/s)]/ (10 x 10^-9 m) = 1.986 x 10^-17 J.

The energy required to break the covalent bonds (the class of bond that exists between all of the atoms in DNA), the most common being carbon-hydrogen (C-H), carbon-carbon (C-C), and carbon-nitrogen (C-N) have bond energies 413, 348, and 308 kJ/mol, respectively ( a mol means 6.022 x 10^23 constituent particles or atoms per mol; a mol is a unit).

So, the energy in the weakest bond (in this case the carbon-nitrogen bond) is

E = (308 x 10^3 J/mol)/(6.022 x 10^23 mol^-1) = 5.115 x 10^-19 J

THEREFORE, you need to be in the Ultra-violet region of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Okay. Now the subject makes sense. I was originally pretty stumped by why we were talking about covalent bonds on MFP.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Waves are too big
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I like it...I have no idea what it says, but I like it!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Interest-in-Skyfall-and-Breaking-Dawn-on-Facebook-by-Gender1-580x265.png
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Now you've got me all hot and bothered
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    I was just thinking the same thing
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Chicken_Little.jpg
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    I don't fear microwave radiation but I would fear a test on that^.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    I use microwaves to heat hot toddies.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I hope this means that microwaves are safe. Lots of crazy threads on microwaves lately.

tumblr_manxt3CV0U1r76lino1_500.gif
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    There are these numbers and letters n stuff...and they mean really cool things...and then bad people go to jail, and good people live forever and eat out of microwaves!!!!

Numb3rs_guy.jpg
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    I don't fear microwaves, but I fear engineers and anyone else who thought differential equations and linear algebra were "fun" courses.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I don't fear microwaves, but I fear engineers and anyone else who thought differential equations and linear algebra were "fun" courses.

I'm an engineer. DiffEq was NOT fun. Just for the record.

Physical chemistry was fun. We blew stuff up.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member

Oh good! You're infinitely less frightening than the engineers I've known irl. I'm not big on blowing things up-but to each his or her own-as long as we agree that differential equations is not a good time-then we have common ground.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member

Magnesium?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    So, you can put the cat in there . . . .
  • Ok, I don't know squat about chemistry and physics aside E=MC2... But this thread is getting really interesting! :)
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    I am invoking the Heisenberg uncertainty principle as well as the second law of thermodynamics in understanding this.....hmmm,,, seems reasonable.
  • Merrychrissmith
    Merrychrissmith Posts: 238 Member
    So, you can put the cat in there . . . .

Schrodingers?