Ladies who went from squishy stomachs to six packs...

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Of course the diet would be different for different people, in terms of food weight.

Thats what i thought but wanted to check, thanks :)

Could help you with food weights if you message me.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Of course the diet would be different for different people, in terms of food weight.

What do you mean by food weight? Like portion size?
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    I personally favour protein over carbs due the fact it takes more to make energy from protein (25-30% wasted) against carbs (6-8% wasted) and generally people find protein easier on the appetite and less hunger and appetite control needed.

It isn't good for anyone to eat only protein, though, unless they were consuming over half their calories in fruit and veg...all the research I've done over the past four years points towards long term health problems, degenerative diseases, digestive issues etc etc...if done over a long period of time. It might do wonders for the physical form, but for vanity's sake, I'd never ever put my health at risk. Nothing wrong with potatoes, rice, pasta etc...entire healthy slim populations of people have thrived on these foods.

Then don't!

Remember I said 'I personally'. Not 'you should'.

Simples.

EDIT

Just realised I left half the diet out (3 days lo carbs, 1 day carbs)!

Meal 1: 80g oatswith water, and a scoop of whey protein.
    Meal 2: 120g chicken breast and veg
    Meal 3: 120g extra lean steak, veg and 60g wholegrain rice or similar
    Pre-Workout Meal: protein shake
    Meal 4: protein shake, 15g Glutamine
    Meal 5: 120g white fish, 2-3 baby potatoes potato and veg
    Meal 6: protein pancake with 30g peanut butter; Sounds delicious.

I like your meal plan.
    it's a mixture of proteins, good fats and some carbs.
    I may actually try the 15g of Glutamine, i usually only do 5g
  • Bump, good info!
  • jessicaw79
    jessicaw79 Posts: 26 Member
    Bumping, excellent info...thanks
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    I personally favour protein over carbs due the fact it takes more to make energy from protein (25-30% wasted) against carbs (6-8% wasted) and generally people find protein easier on the appetite and less hunger and appetite control needed.

It isn't good for anyone to eat only protein, though, unless they were consuming over half their calories in fruit and veg...all the research I've done over the past four years points towards long term health problems, degenerative diseases, digestive issues etc etc...if done over a long period of time. It might do wonders for the physical form, but for vanity's sake, I'd never ever put my health at risk. Nothing wrong with potatoes, rice, pasta etc...entire healthy slim populations of people have thrived on these foods.

^^^well said
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member

Yes.
  • TrishPretti
    TrishPretti Posts: 51 Member
    I have my other half on this diet or very close and she's achieved this look:

Meal 1: 120g lean steak with 30g nuts
    Meal 2: 100g chicken/turkey breast and veg
    Meal 3: lean steak, some green vegetables with a small handful of nuts
    Meal 4: another protein shake, 15g of Glutamine
    Meal 5: 150g white fish and 100g vegetables

abzilla.jpg

WHEW!!!
  • bump
  • sarahlouise7
    sarahlouise7 Posts: 198 Member

Thank you, much appreciated so have messaged you :)
  • I personally favour protein over carbs due the fact it takes more to make energy from protein (25-30% wasted) against carbs (6-8% wasted) and generally people find protein easier on the appetite and less hunger and appetite control needed.

I have the exact opposite effect, lean proteins like chicken, turkey and fish with vegetables have made me healthier, decreased my digestive issues and turned my life around. I think like everything, try it and see how you feel because everyone is different. I can't do soy, alot of processed sugar, or gluten very well and many of the gluten alternatives are higher in processed crap, sugars and calories. I would rather just cut those out. I do eat sweet potatoes and baked potatoes and some quick oats but for the most part I stay away from simple carbs.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Abs are made in the kitchen!! NOT THE GYM!! (IKR?)

Like I have a squishy stomach, but my core is really very strong. I can feel my abs.

The key, like others have said, is to have a lower body fat percentage. Diet is the key to that--so eat as clean as possible. Avoid processed crap and eat more protein.

If your core is weak, as others have also said-- there's a lot you can do to strengthen it.
    Lifting weights is SO key to everything... but to strengthen your core avoid the machines. Anytime you do a free weight move you are engaging your core. I also love to do compound lifts on the BOSU ball. For example-- I'll stand on the flat side of the bosu (so I have an unstable surface) and do squats combined with DB miltary presses. This engages my legs, core (including my hips and inner thighs) and shoulders. There are a ton of exercises you can do combining upper and lower body and then if you stand on the BOSU while you are doing it, your core gets a great work too!

Good luck!! :)
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member

abzilla.jpg

Then don't!

Remember I said 'I personally'. Not 'you should'.

Simples.

EDIT

Just realised I left half the diet out (3 days lo carbs, 1 day carbs)!

Meal 1: 80g oatswith water, and a scoop of whey protein.
    Meal 2: 120g chicken breast and veg
    Meal 3: 120g extra lean steak, veg and 60g wholegrain rice or similar
    Meal 4: protein shake, 15g Glutamine
    Meal 5: 120g white fish, 2-3 baby potatoes potato and veg
    Meal 6: protein pancake with 30g peanut butter; Sounds delicious.

Interesting... BUMP
  • First of all I overhauled my diet. As for workout, I used to do lots of crunches before but nothing happened. Then mid last year when I started lifting heavy doing compound movements that work my entire body including the core such as squats, lunges, deadlifts, pullups, pushups, dips, planks etc. Currently I'm lifting 66kg (146 lbs.) and my macros is 40-30-30. Protein goal is minimum of 128g without exercise.

Height: 5'2"
    Weight:

Before: 2009-2010 at 70-77 kg (160-170lbs.)
    P4160528.jpg
    P4160529.jpg
    IMG0006A-1.jpg
    dati.jpg

Mid 2011 before I started lifting heavy at 58 kilos (129 lbs.), only 4 pounds short from my goal weight but still look fat
    260571_1993677013392_1587429499_1865662_3551886_n.jpg

Feb 2012 still skinny fat at 52 kilos (115 lbs.) but a lot better
    Amici011.jpg

After: 2012 at 56 kilos (123 lbs.)
    P10101844.jpg
    P1010190.jpg
    P10101888.jpg
    8336780_6236.jpg
  • darwinforyou
    darwinforyou Posts: 988 Member
    I do not have a six pack, nor a four pack by any means....BUT I have seen significant decrease to my belly region in the last month. I have upped my calorie intake to be 20% below my TDEE but above my BMR. I also try and stay away from super over-processed foods, within reason, life is hectic and I don't always have tons of time to spend in the kitchen. However, I am religious about my workout routines, and I think that's why I've had the success I have.

1. I am doing the 100 pushup challenge. The pushup does a crazy amount of ab work, especially the higher you go. At first my arms hurt, but man, you totally engage your core on this and you will have sore abs! And I'm not talking girly style push-ups, I'm talking full out man stuff.

2. Lifting heavy things. I've been doing the stronglifts 5x5 and that includes squats and deadlifts, which others have mentioned on here, and those do work!

3. Yoga - Yoga does a lot of core work, too, which I think is often overlooked in the overall strength training world. Yoga is all about body weight exercises and balance. You often do planks in yoga in various positions, helping the belly.

Maybe I'm not a size 2 but these things have really worked for me, a real life woman who works for a living and has a very busy life. My profile picture shows the difference that I've had in just a month's time.

Good luck!
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member

Yes.

Could you take a look at my food diary and message me regarding food weights?
  • Everything that has been said and sounds like you have a clear path now.

I was totally, 1000% skinny fat. Abs are created from your diet, proper rest, and compound/heavy lifting. To see abs, a person must be lean enough. You asked for pics so thought I'd share so you can see progress with lifting and proper nutrition.

Pics:

8/11/11 - around 130ish - so I put on some weight because I started eating more. If you read my profile I was kind of bad at that before... anyway I was doing mostly cardio and some weight machine work.

10/12/11 - still around 130 but you can see I leaned out a little more. I started lifting with dumbbells and didn't do nearly as much cardio. Read up more on nutrition and macros as well.

12/30/11 & 5/19/12 - I think I was doing a 4-day split routine by this point, with one day of cardio. Typically the cardio is sprint intervals.

9/21/12 - a little bit before starting Stronglifts 5x5 routine. I did that for a couple of months and now I still do the compound movements but do a push/pull routine instead. I typically do Spin class 1x/week and maybe sprint intervals if I'm antsy.

progress1-2.jpg
    progress2.jpg
  • Of course the diet would be different for different people, in terms of food weight.

Yes.

How would you go about working out the food weights?
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member

abzilla.jpg
    Nice! Very inspiring!
  • Ampierce
    Ampierce Posts: 53 Member
    bump