Carbs

Do carbs cause bloating? And if they do, does that include veggies? I'm wondering if my tendency toward bloating has something to do with my diet being too high in carbohydrates.

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Do you watch your salt intake? Do you drink carbonated beverages? Those can contribute to bloating if you have a sensitive digestive system.

I sometimes bloat from veggies, especially if I eat them raw. Usually broccoli and onions.
  • I shrink about a stone 14 pounds when i start low carbing - glycogen holds on to water which makes you bloat so i would say yes - however i do know lots of people who eats loads of carbs and stay lean. I think it has a lot to do with your body type.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm going to go with high sodium intake as the most likely culprit. A diet high in sodium can make you retain water and bloat.
  • You do have to keep your salt intake fairly high on a ketogenic diet though or you can suffer from low blood pressure - i got this advise from a dr by the way - no not dr oz :) lol
  • armonson63
    armonson63 Posts: 16 Member
    How much sodium (daily) is considered healthy?
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    WATER! LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER!

It fixes everything!
    xx
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Which part of you is bloated? Carbs help you remain hydrated by helping your muscles hold more water (1g glycogen to 3g water) but that is not what I would call bloat just normal healthy hydration. Excess sodium (salt or MSG or baking soda) causes water retention, fibre and certain sugars can affect digestive function, increasing gas in the bowel depending on your gut flora, lack of fibre or inability of the body to hold water./ dehydration can cause constipation which may present as bloating.

Don't eat more than a teaspoon of salt each day - that is about 2g sodium, but note that you can't accurately track on MFP because many listings don't include the sodium. Fibre aim for 25g a day.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    I wouldn't say so much that it cause bloating but it helps keep muscles hydrated. I'd look as sodium before anything else.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Do carbs cause bloating? And if they do, does that include veggies? I'm wondering if my tendency toward bloating has something to do with my diet being too high in carbohydrates.

For the record, I've been bloated and gassy from too much broccoli. :blushing:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    If you have ever seen the Cleveland show, that is referred to as a "Fart Card".

With great broccoli can come great gas!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    I believe under 2500 is recommended unless you have issues concerning it.

I had a stroke last March caused by hypertension so my Doc recommends under 2K for me. I usually aim for 1600-1800.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    If you have ever seen the Cleveland show, that is referred to as a "Fart Card".

With great broccoli can come great gas!

:laugh:
  • armonson63
    armonson63 Posts: 16 Member
    I believe under 2500 is recommended unless you have issues concerning it.

I had a stroke last March caused by hypertension so my Doc recommends under 2K for me. I usually aim for 1600-1800.

O wow...I hope you're better. Good to know...I have hypertension also but I've never had anyone quantify how much sodium I should have. Thanks for the info.