Do you have a bringalong/potluck specialty

Mutant13
Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
My sister is doing a bringalong dinner for Christmas Eve, and I was wondering what to make last week.

I called my sister and she said "well everybody just assumed you'd be bringing your pies, they're your specialty"
I've only brought them to one or two things but apparently they are "my thing" now. They are pulled pork and pear cider jaffle pies, and are easy to do so that cool with me, but I didn't realise I had a potluck specialty!

What about you? Do you have one?

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Cheesecake cupcakes
    Strawberry Santas
    Oreo Blast Cake
    Gingerbread Homies
    Candy cane cut angel cake

Edit to make sense: Usually one of these!
  • Mutant13
    Ah strawberry Santas are one of my mums too! She and my sister are the sweet makers in the family!
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Deviled eggs or buffalo chicken dip.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    yes, I call them smashed potatoes. It's really just mashed potatoes. I boil them until I forgot about them, like an hour. Then they're nice and soft and I can smash them with a fork, add some low fat sour cream, 2% sharp cheddar cheese (it's lower in fat) garlic salt, some chopped up bacon and call it a day.
    They're easy to make, and actually not bad calorie wise, and they're delicious.
  • Mutant13
    ^ sounds tasty!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Bacon wrapped prawns. If I am feeling generous then lasagne..
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Buffalo chicken dip

Recipe:
    1 roasted chicken broke into pieces
    1 16 oz. bottle of Ranch
    1 package of cream cheese
    Frank's Red Hot sauce (small bottle or more to your liking)

Mix in a large bowl and top with shredded cheddar cheese
    Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
    Serve with tortilla chips or celery.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    My favorite before doing keto was chili con queso. Take one can of Hormel chili (no beans), one bar of cream cheese, a can of diced black olives, and some salsa. Heat in a pan until mixed, serve with chips or warm tortillas. Takes 5 minutes to make, and usually is a hit. Can't do it now though because of the chips. :(

Another I recently made was deviled eggs with a slight twist. Instead of putting relish in them, I diced up green olives and added some bacon bits. Turned out really well, and they are keto friendly.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Try proscuitto wrapped cantelope, too. Salty-sweet always goes well.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Veggie Pizza

1 can low-fat Pillsbury crescent rolls
    1 8 oz. block Philly Light cream cheese, cut into chunks
    1/4 c. Calorie Wise Miracle Whip (or something similar, like low-fat mayo)
    1 tsp. garlic salt
    1 T. dill weed
    chopped veggies (I use red pepper, broccoi, celery, and fresh mushroom slices)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Beat cream cheese, Miracle Whip, garlic salt, and dill weed with electric mixer until smooth. Set aside.

Spread crescent rolls on a cookie sheet and press to fit. Bake for 10 minutes or until nicely browned. Let cool.

When crust is cool, spead on cream cheese mixture and decorate with chopped veggies. FInish with salt & pepper and cut into small squares.

1 small (approx. 4" x 4") square equals approx. 70 calories.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Pies are my specialty, too :) I can roll dough like a crazybiiiiitch.

I am kinda known for cake balls.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    ^ sounds tasty!

It totally is! And you can add parsley to make it look purdy and people will think you are some master chef when really you are just a lazy butt who is also cheap...no, really. That's a big part of why I make these. Potatoes are cheap!
  • Mutant13
    Some awesome meals on here!

Before I became an adult with taste buds I used to being choc ripple cake to parties.

It's literally just chocolate cookies sandwiched together into one big log with an entire can of whipped "cream" holding it together. Then you pour milo all over it and leave it in the fridge overnight so the cookies go soft. For shame.
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    My antipasto salad.

Drained garbanzo beans, mozz pearls (or sticks cut up), black olives, artichoke hearts, roasted peppers, scallions. Toss with a little vinaigrette. Colorful, easy and always a hit.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    cornbread dressing
    watergate salad

but my family's favorite is my personal homemade version of Lemon Cooler Cookies.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Deviled eggs

Ham rolls (Thinly sliced ham with a layer of cream cheese on top that is rolled up, cut into pieces, and served with a green stuffed olive on top with a toothpick)
  • pulled pork and pear cider jaffle pies

^ Sounds good! What is it? Do you have a recipe?

My specialty is either Whopper Cake (my nieces demand it) or salmon and leek cupcakes.
  • I bring Bread Pudding with Whiskey Sauce...a recipe I found in Cooking Light many, many years ago. The Whiskey sauce is what makes it yummy.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Stuffed grape leaves. I have a friend from Turkey who makes them for me. They are unusual and a huge hit.
  • freasabreze
    freasabreze Posts: 97 Member
    My friends and family always want my sweet potato casserole