DD/UD NUMBERS

2»

Replies

• Slimtara
    Slimtara Posts: 44 Member
    Been doing a traditional eat less move more diet at 1200 per day. Starting JUDDD tomorrow and the calc said a whopping 1800 up days and 350 down days! Youch that will be hard... but determined to give this shot. I only have a little to lose but been plateau'ed since May ...

Advice needed : shall I keep to 300 in my induction week cals on my down days ... I hear 500 in other advice but ths that's a decent number of cals over my calculated DD limit, and stick to 1200 on up days? My BMR is 1350.

Thank you
    Tara
  • ZivileZu
    ZivileZu Posts: 56 Member
    I try to do 500-600 DD and 1200-1400 UD. Although due to hectic schedule and lots of flying around it was hard to keep it up... still is. Waiting for my routine to get back to normal and then Ill concentrate more on what and when I eat, but since I'm still losing, Im aiming at those numbers.
  • DryHeet
    DryHeet Posts: 61 Member
    Hi Tara,

I hope you're doing okay starting out with JUDDD. I know the range of 350 - 1800 sounds extreme. Do you remember what you chose for the weight loss mode in the calculator? If you change that value, say 30%, I think you will see your DD calories go up alittle. But, there are JUDDDer's who can keep their DDs that low and you might be one of them!

I've read from more experienced JUDDDer's that its preferable to have at least 1000 calories "swing" between your UD and DD, so instead of trying to limit your UD to 1200, I think it would be better to try and keep the DD at 500 and the UD at 1500 (or more if you need it).

Just for the record, my DDs are usually around 600 - 700 and my UDs are about 1600 - 1900. I exercise 6 days a week. I started out with 500 calorie DDs, but I've increased the calories as I increased my activity level and I've continued to lose.

Good luck,
    Susan
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Friday I switched to alternate day fasting which I think I prefer to ESE. Every other day goal calories are 6-700 calories (and yes I count my exercise calories on these days. I have been having a very active summer walking, swimming, and remodeling an old house) and alternate days are maintainance calories (about 2100-2300 calories for me, but I am trying to keep my up day calories at 1800 except for special occasions. And I do not count exercise calories those days.
    I have also realized that hoping to lose 2/3 pounds a week is an unreasonable goal for me; however, I will keep trying!
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    fastforlife - sounds good to me.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Update - 1 week JUDD - 3#s lost!
  • DryHeet
    @fastforlife1 - that's wonderful! Congrats!
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Hi! I am on DD no 2. No. 1 was HARD! I woke up starving and could not get to sleep! Any tips for me tonight? I am trying to save 300 cal for dinner so I can have maybe half a protein shake and a small meal but I need something to get me through the night. I so loved my UD yesterday. Its the first time in so long that I have felt little guilt. There is still a little there, but it will take a while. Also, this group doesn't seem so active anymore.... Would love to know how everyone is going! I am aiming for 500/2000 like most, but am not counting UD... I know calories, I have been doing cal counting for a LONG time. but definantly counting down days. So any tips are great!
  • DryHeet
    Hi Sicchi

Yes the first 2 weeks is often really difficult. I've been able to get by with
    a warm drink like chicken broth (there's a brand Wylers that's only 5 cals)

There is another forum http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/juddd/
    that is very active and there are a couple of threads that list helpful
    food choices for DDs. There are some members there who were very
    successful with JUDDD and they still watch for newbies like us who need
    help. You might take a look there for more ideas.

Good luck and hope you do better on your next DD.
    Susan
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    I did ok yesterday on my 2nd DD. I did have a huge breakfast this morn (500 cal) so am nice and full right now. Still had trouble sleeping :( I just wake up at 4am and cant get back to sleep. I am going on holidays in 2 days so will have my last down day tomorrow.... Kind of sucks I found this WOE just before going away. Its only a week so i will start again when I get back and maybe do a little fasting while away, not sure. Will enjoy my big plate of lamb cutlets tonight though :)
  • izzyooo
    izzyooo Posts: 24 Member
    Hi! I started JUDDD on Monday and I'm doing 2300 on up days and 500 on down days because this seems to work out at a reasonable and healthy amount on average for the week. I'm a little concerned that everyone seems to be having so little on their up days as I thought we were meant to be able to relax on these days? Obviously not relaxing to the point of over eating but you know what I mean :) Anyone got any input on this?

I currently weigh 241 lbs by the way :)
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    My numbers were close to yours when I started. Did you get them from Dr. Johnson's calculator? It's worked beautifully for me to follow them on BOTH days. I didn't get fat by having "normal" eating days, which is what you're encouraged to do on UDs. I have to/had to track UDs to make sure I wasn't taking in 3000 or more calories. Some people also don't have much of an appetite on UDs, after a nice low DD, and can undereat if they aren't tracking. The magic seems to be in the big swing, but not toooo big of a swing between the two days, if that makes sense. If you're able to eat well without overeating or taking in lots of extra calories, or conversely undereating, you could try being relaxed on UDs and just eating what you want.
  • izzyooo
    izzyooo Posts: 24 Member
    Keiras_Mom: The numbers from dr johnsons calculator were slightly below mine so I rounded them up. Unfortunately I also need to keep a close eye on what I eat on UP days because I could easily finish off 4000 calories if I didn't. I've come in 200-300 calories over on my UP days so far but the way I see it I've gone from eating a LOT more and it'll take a bit of time to get used to the new figures. I've lost 6lbs since Monday though so it seems to be working well so far! I think it just goes to show how much I must have been eating before!

Well done on all the weight you have lost so far! I have around 100lbs to lose. How long has it taken you?
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Sounds like those numbers are working perfectly well for you. You may not need to lower them for quite some time!

I started with low carb 10/24/11, and then switched to JUDDD 12/12/11. I hit 100 pounds lost 11/11/12, so it took me about 12 and 1/2 months. I was shooting for 100 pounds in a year, so I did pretty well all things considered. I'm currently at my original goal of 175 (I'm 5'9"), but I think I'd like to get closer to 160. At this point, though, I'm happy with where I am, and if it takes me another year to lose the next 15 pounds, I'm good with that.
  • kel7298
    I am with you Dawn. I am basically in maintenance and using JUDDD as my program to maintain or hopefully lose those last 5 lbs..haha.
  • I know this isn't that active lol buti have a question, is a 0 calorie DD and a 1000 calorie UD okay?
  • kel7298
    0 is fine for a dd but you should probably eat more than 1000 on UD. I noticed if you average your dd & ud they would be approx 1200 daily