Yoga Suggestions

Hello everyone!

I want to try yoga again. I haven't been to a class in at least 3 years, but I remember enjoying it. The DVD I have is totally lame because it's TOO beginner and over-explains all the moves without an actual cohesive work-out.

Does anyone have suggestions for me for online yoga videos? I'd prefer ones that aren't too difficult for a newbie!

I also wouldn't mind checking out pilates. I guess I'm not really positive what the difference is between the two?

Replies

• JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Here is my experience. I workout at the YMCA, so it may be different based on where you workout.
    Pilates on Tuesdays is very relaxed. Lights down/off and Its about breathing and positions. We do Downward Dog, Child Pose, Stretches, etc. The teacher will come around and check how youre doing. Theres very relaxing music on. Its VERY relaxing for me.
    Pilates on Thursdays is different. We use the ball, resistance bands, weights, we do positions and breathing but its pretty laid back. We do Plank using the ball as 1 example. Lights are on and the teacher is bubbly and talkative.

Yoga is more like my Tuesday Pilates class but a bit faster. The moves seem to move into the next one and its a bit more about breathing and coming to a peace within rather than a workout.

I prefer Pilates to Yoga. I have no idea why but i do. I have back problems and when i do Pilates my back doesnt hurt.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I like to do yoga. I like Ashtanga Power, Vinyasa Flow. I don't know that much about videos. I remember liking Rodney Yee videos.

Pilates can be nice also. Sometimes I like it, but I like yoga better. Pilates was started for injured dancers and has dance rehab moves as an element of it, and sometimes I like some of that for warm up for my dancing. I also found it the best when I was in post partum recovery.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Hulu has a pretty good selection of free yoga videos: http://www.hulu.com/search?q=yoga
  • Brovy
    Brovy Posts: 11
    Yoga is a good exercise that provides our body a good shape. Its a best way to get fitness and stretchable body. I will suggest everyone to do yoga because we can do it easily at home.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    on youtube: check out lbutler2, yogatic, ekhartyoga, and holmtv

see www.youtubeyoga.tumblr.com for various videos with reviews and commentary

you can pay through various websites to take classes online; i've heard of yogaglo.com and ekhartyoga.com but i haven't personally tried either.

there are also free full-length classes for all levels at www.doyogawithme.com
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    ^ i agree, ekhartyoga is good. sadie nardini also has a lot of great yoga videos. one of them had me in a full sweat.
    here's just an example of one of hers, which will link you to several others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yf1MtRZx_J4
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    try yogaglo.com, which streams real classes of lots of different styles of yoga with excellent teachers. they offer a free 2-week trial and after that it's $18/month for unlimited classes.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Yoga needs in person instruction and correction even for those who have been practicing for a while. A GOOD studio is worth its weight in gold!!! Someone gave me an excellent tip...lots of studios have special pricing for new students so call, get the deals and try several out. You benefit dollar wise and get to try several studios to find a best fit.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    There are many varieties of yoga, but it usually has a spiritual element lacking in Pilates. If you Google, about.com and Yoga, there's an article describing various yoga styles.
  • I was always under the impression that Pilates does more for the core than yoga. Yoga was more for flexibility. BUT, I believe I am wrong, that the pair of them benefit the body in different ways.
    I will be embarking on a Pilates and yoga exercise regime, mainly because I can't do much of anything else at the moment.

I miss my Wii Fit board because of the yoga on there. I was on that thing every day. It helped me lose 5 stone, that and I was road running at the time.

I did always wonder about my posture with yoga and the Wii doesn't correct it, just your balance.

I am now using my Xbox Kinect (swapped the wii for it) and some yoga apps on my ipod and android, and the Mari Windosr Pilates DVDS I have.

Good luck hun, I hope you find something that works for you x
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Yoga needs in person instruction and correction even for those who have been practicing for a while. A GOOD studio is worth its weight in gold!!! Someone gave me an excellent tip...lots of studios have special pricing for new students so call, get the deals and try several out. You benefit dollar wise and get to try several studios to find a best fit.

I agree with this. There are great videos on the internet for all levels, but I would only recommend their use in addition to a regular weekly class where you can ask questions of a trained, qualified yoga teacher and have alignment and focus corrected as you develop. There is also a whole supportive yoga community you will benefit from that is absent from internet videos.

The right teacher is far more important than the flashiest studio so hae a good look around at what is available.
  • Brovy
    Brovy Posts: 11
    Yoga is a good exercise that provides our body a good shape. Its a best way to get fitness and stretchable body. I will suggest everyone to do yoga because we can do it easily at home.
    personal trainer Camden
  • jellybird
    jellybird Posts: 37 Member
    Love YogaGlo.com - my favorite instructor is Dice.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Thanks everyone for the feedback! I'm going to check out hulu and doyogawithme.com first!!