Wine - exercise

Hi Friends,

What are your thought on using your calories you earn from working out on wine/alcohol? I just started back up I only have 10 pounds to lose, but I love my nightly glass of wine and hate to give it up. I'm giving up rice/pasta with my meal for wine - Is that bad?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    With only 10 lbs to lose, you have to eat more.. ideally, 1/2 lb per week. Also, if you drink wine or spirits is perfect but limit carbs while drinking. Non starchy veggies and high protein improve insulin resistance.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    The challenge with wine/beer/etc is not just the empty calories but also that alcohol stimulates your appetite and lowers your inhibitions. Some folks, after careful assessment, realize that they just can't touch it or they will eat too much everytime. Go for some time and observe how you do then make an honest assessment. I think of it this way. Want a beer? Then run a mile. But seriously, be careful and mindful about how it affects your appetite.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Why cut out anything? There is no need to. Have small bits of rice and pasta... have a small glass of wine at night. Exercise to give yourself more calories.

Ensure you have your goal set to 0.5lb per week.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    i used to enjoy a glass of wine every night with my dinner but opted to cut back to help shed the pounds. now i have a glass with dinner thursday - sunday. okay saturdays probably have 3 glasses but i run 5-6 miles on saturdays. why cut yourself off completely just cut back. red wine is good for you.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    I drink wine.. every night.. and everyone is glad i do.. :)
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    I chose to cut out all foods to make room for alcohol...bonus is my very low tolerance.
  • stl_nana
    stl_nana Posts: 99 Member
    I too really enjoy my wine. :drinker:

The problem I find is that my judgement diminishes and then I'll follow up with other bad choices like pouring another glass (or two) and maybe a little cheese for a snack and so on...and so on.....
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    I have not given up wine/beer/spirits totally but try to limit--I used to have 5-6 drinks/week--now it's more like 2-3--and sometimes not even that. I've never had a problem overeating when I drink, and I do enjoy it :)!!
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    I too really enjoy my wine. :drinker:

The problem I find is that my judgement diminishes and then I'll follow up with other bad choices like pouring another glass (or two) and maybe a little cheese for a snack and so on...and so on.....

This is what happens to me.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I like wine, and drink it in moderation. I don't really worry about whether it comes from exercise calories or not, as long as I get a good level of general nutrition as well through the day. If I've got plenty of protein, good fats, micronutrients etc, then I don't have a problem "spending" some calories on wine or chocolate. You're probably not missing out on much, nutritionally speaking, by swapping pasta/rice for wine. If you are on a very low calorie diet though, I would worry that you wouldn't have enough calories for important nutrients and shouldn't waste them on alcohol.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a glass of wine every night, if that's what you enjoy. My view is that unless you plan to give it up or cut it down permanently, then it's better to keep it now. I think it must be easier to maintain your weight loss if you are eating the same things now that you plan on eating then.
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    I wouldn't give up your wine if you really enjoy it. As long as you are using up more calories than you are taking in you will lose weight. I never make bad choices after a glass or two of wine. At my age, I just fall asleep. :tongue:
  • L_Stradford
    L_Stradford Posts: 156 Member

This! I work it into my daily calories and have not had a problem with losing weight. But I tend to only drink water all day long and that one glass of wine will not hurt me.
  • Barilej
    Barilej Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for you input - It IS hard to stop at one......and since its friday night I better get to the gym:)....If I don't work out I never have enough calories for wine....
  • nerolimoon
    nerolimoon Posts: 32 Member
    Ah, wine, where would we be without it. I drink 3 glasses of wine on Friday and Saturday nights, and factor it into my calories count (Though I tend to balance my calories out over a week rather than day by day, and haven't had a problem losing weight doing this.) I agree with the poster who said that we'd be more likely to keep the weight off if we factored in eating and drinking things that we like.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Proof that the whole exercise calories paradigm has done more harm than good.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member

^This^ :laugh: :drinker:
  • jellybird
    jellybird Posts: 37 Member
    I drink wine as a treat to myself. So, if I have a great workout and eating day AND I'm below in net calories, then a glass of wine is a reward to myself.
  • slime71
    slime71 Posts: 4 Member
    If that extra 30 minutes of excersize "buys" me 2-3 glasses of wine, it's totally worth it. And I have been steadily losing - and not going insane at night without my red, red wine. Also, with tracking, I'm more conscious of the amount of wine. I literally pour it into a measuring cup and make sure it's 5.0 oz per glass.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    As long as it's within your daily calorie allowance, I don't see the problem. Mind you, I don't drink alcoholic drinks every day so maybe it does affect things in another way?
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Try to keep treats under about 10% of daily calories, if you have wine don't have other sugary/ processed/ white refined/ junky foods. If you are quitting white rice/ pasta great, if you are giving up brown be sure you are replacing the minerals and fibre in other foods.