I haven't lost a pound and I've been logging for a year!

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, it's so frustrating. I make a conscious effort every day to choose good healthy foods but I haven;t been able to lose a single pound and I've been logging for almost a year.

I'm a vegetarian so I personally find it harder to get enough protein...maybe that's it??

I feel like giving up completely because nothing I do seems to work at all :(

Can someone look at my diary and see where I'm going wrong?

I also try to exercise at least 3 times a week with fast walking for about 30 mins, sometimes jogging.

Replies

• rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    I would suggest trying to eat more calories through the day. maybe aim for 1600. Your body obviously isn't respondng well to the low calorie intake. Try a few weeks at a higher goal and see how you fare.

Also, avoid the usual high fat processed foods, sugars, too much salt etc.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    First, you are trying to lose a small amount. Second, what is your height/weight now? Third, have you spoken to a Doctor about this, you might have a medical issue? Last, I find it hard to believe you havent' lost a single lb over a year if you really logged everything you ate and were eating at a calorie deficit....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I went back and looked-- you've only got just over 2 months logged. In that time I see many many days where you didn't eat enough calories, some days skipped, and a lot of quick-add calories.

Try upping your goal a bit, log consistently and accurately.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    I agree with Rachael. I only looked at a few days in your diary, but if they are a true representation of what you eat, you are probably not eating enough. How tall are you, and what do you weigh. There are many helpful members who can help you determine a good place to start. Do you exercise much?
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    If you are truly logging everything you eat, then I don't think you're eating enough. Also, you say you're a vegetarian, but I see you are eating fish, so I'm assumming you are pescatarian. I don't see a lot of fruits and vegetables in your diary either. I was vegetarian for 3 years. My doctor told me I needed 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. In reality, a serving is not much--it could be a 1/2 cup for a certain type fruit, or 1 cup vegetables. Fruits and vegetables are processed through your body much quicker than meat is.

My 2 cents!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    So right off the bat I would say for a 26 year old female you are not eating enough. You have likely (assuming a year of eating this way) stalled your weight loss because you are not getting enough calories to maintain proper and healthy organ function. (eating below your BMR).

If you search for the "in place of a roadmap" thread in the discussion groups you can see how to calculate your BMR and TDEE. If you commit to eating better (more) or 30 - 60 days that should be enough time to get your body to healthy functioning again, and begin to lose weight at a steady and healthy pace. I didn't believe that upping my calories would help me resume weight loss either - but I did it and it does!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    So right off the bat I would say for a 26 year old female you are not eating enough. You have likely (assuming a year of eating this way) stalled your weight loss because you are not getting enough calories to maintain proper and healthy organ function. (eating below your BMR).

If you search for the "in place of a roadmap" thread in the discussion groups you can see how to calculate your BMR and TDEE. If you commit to eating better (more) or 30 - 60 days that should be enough time to get your body to healthy functioning again, and begin to lose weight at a steady and healthy pace. I didn't believe that upping my calories would help me resume weight loss either - but I did it and it does!

The roadmap is a great thread. If I was home near my PC, I would post the link. But I don't have it on my iPad. Also try searching the blogs for "the sweet spot". It is also very good.
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Are you an obsessive personality? Your diary is the first I have seen that specifies the umber of calories per meal and snacks. I agree that you are eating too few calories. You really need to eat the 1200 each day and log in consistently. Continue to exercise and up your calories. Good luck.
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    So, I looked at your diary, and you do eat healthy, but 2 things I would change. 1. you're at 1200 calories a day which is low, and since you're usually under your calorie goal, you're eating under 1200 calories, and that's starvation mode for a lot of people. So up your calories, and you may gain a little bit of weight at first which I know will be frustating, but once your body adjusts to that eat healthy again and a bit more and you should lose weight.
    Also, try to vary your foods more, you eat a lot of the same foods day by day which is easy to do because you know them you like them you know the nutrition well etc. but your body gets used to foods so it's not as effective as varying your meals with lots of different healthy foods.
    I didn't look at your exercise diary but I didn't see the calories subtracted so if you do exericse, log it and if you don't exercise regularly, start.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Don't give up. You say you've been logging for a year but the info says you joined this October. That's only 2 months or so.
    I only looked at one day of your diary. It is not healthy. You need more fresh produce and you need to eat more all together.

Do what some of the other responders have suggested as to reading. They are right.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    You're not eating enough. Take it up to 1500.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Not enough calories, too many carbs/ sugar
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Eat more.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Lack of consistency and shooting for a calorie intake that is likely too low are your biggest issues. Tackle them, and have some patience, and you will find success.

You should not expect results if you don't put in the work.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Don't give up. You say you've been logging for a year but the info says you joined this October. That's only 2 months or so.
    I only looked at one day of your diary. It is not healthy. You need more fresh produce and you need to eat more all together.

Do what some of the other responders have suggested as to reading. They are right.
    Good point that shes only been here since october 2012.. Thats 2 months not 12!
  • jellybird
    jellybird Posts: 37 Member
    You also need more protein. It looks like you are eating protein once a day. Add eggs or egg whites to breakfast, some nuts, lentils, and/or meat to your meals.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Do you know your BMR? Your TDEE? If not, find out. I guarantee you've been eating way under your BMR for too long and you've killed your metabolism. 1200 calories is the lowest anyone should ever eat and even then only under a doctor's care.

NEVER eat lower than your BMR...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^^ READ IT. LIVE IT. ^^^
  • jellybird
    jellybird Posts: 37 Member
    Oops - just reread your post and saw the part about bring a vegetarian. Yes, add nuts and legumes. If you eat eggs, add those too.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    What everyone has said. Eat more.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    I went back and looked-- you've only got just over 2 months logged. In that time I see many many days where you didn't eat enough calories, some days skipped, and a lot of quick-add calories.

Try upping your goal a bit, log consistently and accurately.

This. I'd be shooting for 1500+ of accurately logged food. Adding a protein shake is a good idea. The carbs are about right add a protein shake with you being a veggie.. Add some fat... Olive oil... Nuts.

Increase slowly if you need to, but get them up. You've got nothing to lose if you have been with this and year and no success.

Might take a while to get your body fired up from the low calories. You'll have to give the new plan a good few months!

Zara