bad knee issues

my knees creak when i try to do sit ups , lunges are painful. i can't afford gym membership or orthopedist intervention.i'm an extreme pear shaped woman, please suggest exercises for hips and thighs.
thanks and regards

Replies

• MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Swimming? Here by me local schools open their pools for water exercise programs that are pretty reasonable. Same goes for our gym, you can pay by class....
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Try the supplement glucosamine chondroitin. It is real good for joint health. That may help. It helped me quite a bit.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    When I first started exercising in April, I had a lot of problems with my knees. Some from an injury in my 20s and most from the extra weight my poor knees have been supporting over the years. I began strength training using a body weight strength training plan (from nerdfitness). I went slow and modified the exercises until I could do them correctly. Now I am kickboxing 3X a week and lifting heavy 3X a week. By strengthening the muscles around the knee, I can climb and descend steps again with out pain, my knee never "gives out" on me anymore, and I have started running.

Take it slow, but work on strengthening the knees not avoiding working them (unless you doctor says that you have knee injuries), they probably just need less weight and more work. Good luck. I hope you have the same results as I did. I was really worried about my coming years and possibly needing replacements later in life. :flowerforyou:
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    thanks everybody,swimming is out as can't see my self even in one of the very modest costumes:embarassed: ...sure will try nerdfitness
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    I have Osteo Arthritis in both knees. I have a few other things going on with my knees also and understand the difficulty losing weight while limited. Swim is the best thing you can do first of all. Then start walking. Once you can walk then you will be losing faster. If you are already beyond that then start doing adduction and abduction. That's a lot of thigh, and gluteal work. Ensure that you are working your core and strengthening it up also. I have found that once I have a good strong core, then the knees aren't working so hard.

My knee pain flares up depending on what I eat.. causing inflammation in the joints also. I try to be careful but some days can get bad. You rest on bad days and work it on good ones.

Work on the small muscles the surround the knees. Simple things like walking sideways in a pool strengthen them. Good luck! I"m with you in spirit!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Cycling, walking, use stairs whenever possible.
    Can you do unweighted squats?
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight. It is more important to reduce the calories in then to increase the calories out. It is easy to out eat any exercise program.

That said moving is important. Start just walking 5 minutes away from home then turn around and head home. As you start moving and losing weight the knees will get better.

My knees have a grinding feeling when I bend them from the patella rubbing on the knee. As long as I keep active their is no pain, when I become a couch potato then the knees hurt.

Good luck and I look forward to reading your success story.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    When I first started exercising in April, I had a lot of problems with my knees. Some from an injury in my 20s and most from the extra weight my poor knees have been supporting over the years. I began strength training using a body weight strength training plan (from nerdfitness). I went slow and modified the exercises until I could do them correctly. Now I am kickboxing 3X a week and lifting heavy 3X a week. By strengthening the muscles around the knee, I can climb and descend steps again with out pain, my knee never "gives out" on me anymore, and I have started running.

Take it slow, but work on strengthening the knees not avoiding working them (unless you doctor says that you have knee injuries), they probably just need less weight and more work. Good luck. I hope you have the same results as I did. I was really worried about my coming years and possibly needing replacements later in life. :flowerforyou:

.....ditto. I was in much the same condition when I started 3 years ago. My knees hurt just climbing stairs. I was over weight by about 40lbs and I have arthritis in my knees. I can now walk for several miles without pain. I can do squats now and I was finally able to do lunges for the first time a few months ago.

My Mother-in-law is obese, she's had one knee replacement and is facing replacement on the other one. Her DR. told her to lose weight. That is the best thing you can do for your knees.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight. and if it hurts to walk, then I wouldn't do it until you've lost some. I started walking outside when it was warm outside, cold weather was too painful. If you have acess to a staionary bike WITH a bucket seat, that'll be easy to use when it's cold outside.

If you can't do regular body weight only squats, just try sitting in a chair and standing up. Sit, stand, repeat.

It'll be a long road, but it's so worth it! Good luck to you!
  • nancy_FoCo
    nancy_FoCo Posts: 3 Member
    I had a total knee replacement earlier in the year. Due to the surgery itself and the lack of activity previous to the surgery, I had a lot of work to do in order to build up the muscles that support the knees. There's a wonderful website for people with hip and/or knee problems, bonesmart.org.

Here's a link to exercises for post-op knee people: http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/exercises-for-tkrs-do-it-yourself-exercises-from-basic-to-advanced.14390/

I'm still working on my knee. One reason I want to lose weight is to help both my knees. They are carrying way too much weight!

Good luck.
  • ksfmcdaniel
    ksfmcdaniel Posts: 6 Member
    I have pes bursitis in my left knee - incredibly painful to kneel on, it hurts when I overexercise or twang it wrong, and it gives out for no apparent reason on occasion. I zinged it a few weeks ago exercising and it's been hurting more than normal, but even with just losing 35 pounds, it has been feeling better than it has in years.

With the "zing" I gave it a few weeks ago, though, I was given these exercises to do: http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/adult_health/sma_knee_bursitis_exercises/ It's really to strengthen the thigh muscles, which can decrease the pain in the tendon in the area of the bursitis.

Just some ideas. I haven't seen a huge change, but I've only had the exercises two weeks, and I haven't been exactly "on it" during the holiday week...sigh...
  • I am a law unto myself. I have dodgy knees from Roller Derby injuries (I have twisted them both and damaged my ACL and Interior ligament or something) along with the hypermobility. At the moment, I walk as much as I can, as far as I can whilst doing yoga, pilates and small amounts of cardio (although my knee tweaked doing mountain climbers this morning). It's not a lot, but I am hoping it will all contribute to the end result. I push through my pain, which won't benefit me long term I suppose.

I do struggle with squats and lunges myself. Good luck honey, I hope you find something that helps you x
  • SisterC
    SisterC Posts: 121 Member
    Interesting tips! :flowerforyou:
    Thanks!
  • TattedCharli
    TattedCharli Posts: 85 Member

Great advice!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    my knees creak when i try to do sit ups , lunges are painful. i can't afford gym membership or orthopedist intervention.i'm an extreme pear shaped woman, please suggest exercises for hips and thighs.
    thanks and regards

The knee is a complex joint affected by muscles, ligaments and tendons up and down the entire body. Nobody can recommend you anything that is safe and effective without a firm diagnosis - cheap way to get an idea is to have gait analysis at a proper sports shop, more expensive (but still not crazy) is a session or two with a physiotherapist. You don't necessarily need many sessions, they should teach you exercises to do at home not expect you to do every session at their practice. Doing the wrong exercises for your specific issue or with poor technique can actually worsen the problem. Be sure you are warming up thoroughly - ten minutes low impact easy pace - and wearing supportive training footwear that has been fitted to you.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    May be many of you are not here anymore,but i want to thank you for your kindness and help. I have lost only 26 lbs so far(was inactive for 6 months owing to life shattering changes in my personal life) but with your help i have learnt to make exercise an integral part of my daily life.i remembered you this morning while doing bodyweight squats this morning and i also remember you every time i take stairs and my knees don't creak any longer.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    bump
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    An easy way to start out for anyone with physical ailments, excessive body weight or maybe has a missing limb (leg/s), is to do chair aerobics.
    You can find it for free online!
  • lanakat
    lanakat Posts: 22 Member
    So much good information here! I cant wait to check out some of the recommended websites! :o)
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    ok yay someone else that has same problem, everytime I do squats ect my knees crack realllyy loud for over a year now. If I continue to do these exercises will it effect me in anyway or is knee thing just nothing...