Winter runners: cold rash?

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions... I received some Under Armour cold gear for Christmas (pants and a turtleneck) which I've been trying out for the past few days. I'm still trying to find a good balance... yesterday I wore the UA pants under my regular Nike workout pants, and the UA shirt plus a fleecy, and came home with a cold rash all over my thighs and stomach. :(

So today (same temperature) I added a pair of long underwear and a long-sleeved t-shirt over the Under Armour, and kept the Nike pants and the fleecy... so 3 pairs of pants and 3 shirts. No rash, but I also felt a bit overheated partway through my run.

What do you wear to run in the winter? Any other tips for cold rashes other than piling on more layers?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    What is a cold rash? I run all winter in Canada and don't think I've ever had this.
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    http://www.dermnetnz.org/reactions/cold-urticaria.html

Admittedly I did self-diagnose, but my thighs looked just like those photos... I can feel it start to itch halfway through my run, and it seems to peak once I get into the warm indoors, with hives, redness, and crazy itching on my thighs and stomach. The first time it happened I wondered if it might be the clothes, but I've since worn many different things on my run and still come home with the rash. It usually disappears within an hour once I get indoors.

Oddly though, I only get it when I run, and only on those spots... not in more exposed areas, like my face. I guess I just assumed it was cold-induced urticaria.
  • myJOF
    myJOF Posts: 26
    I have that itching and uncontrollable need to scratch if I start walking or aerobic exercise after a long extended break. I couldn't even finish today. After a while it doesn't happen anymore (for me).

ETA: It happens even in warm weather for me. Maybe its dry skin for me as I can't even stay in the shower too long.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    I have a huge problem with dry skin in the winter especially on my arms and legs. I'd try putting something like Glysomed or another really slick lotion on the areas getting the rash. If your skin is dry at all the constant jiggle from running may be causing enough friction to cause a rash. Kind of gross but when I started running my belly was looser and it used to itch like crazy when I ran no matter what the weather.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    I have a huge problem with dry skin in the winter especially on my arms and legs. I'd try putting something like Glysomed or another really slick lotion on the areas getting the rash. If your skin is dry at all the constant jiggle from running may be causing enough friction to cause a rash. Kind of gross but when I started running my belly was looser and it used to itch like crazy when I ran no matter what the weather.

Agreed. When I was heavier, I had that all the time - - the chaffing while moving (yes, a truly icky part of being bigger, then loosing weight!) . Lotion definatly helps. Pick something without any fragrance, tho, otherwise it will sting.

Now, I see it during the winter since it's terribly dry in Alberta. I use a lot of Glysomed myself, but I've also used Aveeno on my kids.