I just ran my first mile without stopping!

I've been going to the gym for exactly a week now. A week ago it took me 14.35 minutes to run/walk a mile on the treadmill. I practiced running 4 days and couldn't get all the way through a mile without stopping to walk at least 2 times. I have myself running at a 6.0 speed so that's probably why I have to stop so much! I've had improvements since then (my fastest run/walk mile is 11.30 exactly) , but since I'm on week two I decided to push myself a bit and see if I could handle a mile straight - regardless of how long it took me.

So, i set the incline to 1.0 (for some reason I always do this, not sure why) and the speed to 5.0 and went at it. It wasn't really hard, I was more so anxious to know if I was going to be able to do it or not. But slowly time and distance passed and I reached the .9 mark. I was so thrilled and anxious to be done that I bumped the speed up to 7.0 and high tailed it to the mile marker lol. It took me 11.45 minutes exactly to finish.

While it's a small achievement, im beyond thrilled! I just wanted to share with someone while I'm still on this high lol

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Holy crap - that's awesome! I'm still making it one minute jogging intervals - this is seriously inspirational!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    That's awesome! It took me over a year to get that far and I still don't run that fast. Be proud of yourself!
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Congratulations! I remember my very first mile! It's an amazing feeling, after you feel like you can do a marathon.
    I always found its best to increase it by half a mile a week, and during that week try and do it a little bit quicker/higher speed/ higher gradient.
    Very proud of you! Keep going! :happy:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    That's pretty good for only one week into it. Keep it up with some smart training and you'll be burning up the 5k race circuit.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Awesome! It's so exciting to see yourself progress!
  • AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ust did this with my mile and a half last week! I'm doing two now!!! You are amzing and it's awesome to hear! It is no small achievement so be proud! nicely done!
  • lovetiffany
    lovetiffany Posts: 43 Member
    Thanks everybody! I know it's a small achievement but i'm sooo happy! :)

I'm trying to get myself to be able to run a 5k as fast as possible. My goal is to run in the Komen Houston Race on Oct 2013 and place high in my age group (I'll be 24 so ill be in the 20-24 female age range). I'm starting early to see the best results possible lol. I know I won't place 1st or anything, I just want to know I did my best and make myself proud. As long as I cross that finish line knowing I did my hardest I'll be thrilled!

And good luck to everyone with your own goals!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    It's not a small achievement! It's HUGE! Congrats to you!!!

I have done 5 Half Marathons and have done the run/walk in all of them. I finished one earlier this month on a 5 minute walking and 1 minute running combo and PR'd with a time of 2:55 (26 minutes less than my previous PR). I decided that now that race is out of the way, I am going to try running for longer stretches instead of just faster. When I was doing intervals, I would run my one minute at 6.3 mph. Now that I am trying to run for longer stretches, I run at 5.2 mph. Yesterday, I ran for 2 miles non stop. It's an awesome feeling! Congrats to you! I know just how good you feel!
  • lovetiffany
    26 minutes faster is crazy good improvement! Congrats!!!

I can't even think about the idea of doing a half marathon lol, you are doing so great!
  • myJOF
    myJOF Posts: 26
    It's a great achievement to me since I can't/haven't done it! Congrats!
  • lovetiffany
    Keep working towards it and you will reach it! :)
  • tlatrice13
    tlatrice13 Posts: 162 Member
    Yay!!!! Congrats!!!!
  • ajadumas
    ajadumas Posts: 85 Member
    I'm happy dancin for ya, sister :)
  • wrkout2bfit
    wrkout2bfit Posts: 41 Member
    That's pretty awesome! Maybe you should sign up for a 5k this spring. Would be something to train for and keep you motivated. Way to go!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    That's awesome! I'm soo jealous! The longest I've been able to jog for is 4 minutes and that seemed to be a very rare occasion. Now, it's back to a minute and a half to two minutes, but I'm working on it.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Congratulations!
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    That's fantastic! Congratulations!
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Way to go. That one mile will take you to many other accomplishments as well.
  • iluvhockey987
    iluvhockey987 Posts: 11 Member
    i'm so happy for you! i just ran my first mile without stopping today as well :) i have been using the elliptical at the gym and doing 3 miles on it and decided to give running/jogging a try today. i haven't been able to run a full mile in at least 5 years. it feels so great to finally be able to achieve this goal!
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Yea! Run girl run!