Keeping Safe When You Run

After taking a month off of running I got back on it last week, today being the first day back out on the road. I was wondering a few things:

1. How do you find new places/routes to run?
2. Do you try to avoid places with dogs, people, etc., or just go wherever you want and deal with it along the way?
3. How do you keep yourself safe when you run? Meaning if you come up on a not-so-friendly dog or person?
4. Do you measure your runs by mileage or time? Or both?

I'm really bored with running around this same loop in my neighborhood. It's hard to find another route that doesn't have loose dogs or is populated with people (running with absolutely no one around makes me nervous since I live in a wooded area and I'm just paranoid in general). I have a park nearby, but the trail is only around 1/4 of a mile long so I wouldn't really be able to get my distance in on that.

Just curious about what others do for their runs.

Thanks!

Replies

• Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    We live in the country and my mom doesn't let me run/walk on the roads because apparently someone will kidnap and kill me in a scary manner...
    I go to a nearby park that has a big circular track and walk that when the weather is nice.
    I am not sure how it is safer there though?
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    When my mom feels nervous about running alone she TAKES our big dog! Haha.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    1. I use a route planner on the net.
    2. No I just plan the route and run it, that is half the fun. Obstacles, dark patches (if running at night), etc are dealt with as I go.
    3. I have not come across unfriendly people or beasts yet. I run on my own though, not with a dog.
    4. I plan my runs by the distance, not time run. But do take note of how fast I ran the particular distance to gauge progress.

• 1. How do you find new places/routes to run?
    2. Do you try to avoid places with dogs, people, etc., or just go wherever you want and deal with it along the way?
    3. How do you keep yourself safe when you run? Meaning if you come up on a not-so-friendly dog or person?
    4. Do you measure your runs by mileage or time? Or both?

Thanks!

1. I live in an apartment complex that is a handy 1/2 mile rectangle, but if I want a change of pace I will use Map My Run or other such sites and look at other routes or see what is convenient for me.

2. Luckily I don't have to deal with dogs much, but people I just run around. It used to really bother me if there were a lot of people around but now I don't care. If loose dogs are a concern maybe carry some pepper spray?

3. I never worry about time; I'm training for a 10K and I want to get the mileage down first. I don't think I will ever worry about time...I'm a slow runner and I'm OK with that! :)

I also wear a reflective vest since I run at night. I hate seeing runners in dark clothes at night on the roads.... :( Also, if I do venture out of my complex I take my cell phone just in case.
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    When I see someone suspicious I will walk on the opposite side of the street. I don't care if they realize I'm avoiding them or not. Also taking a self defense class might help you feel a little bit safer. If I'm bored of my various tracks around my neighborhood I will drive about 5 minutes away to a trail/nice area or 10 minutes away to a regional park. I mainly track my runs by time.
  • 1. I don't, I pretty much stick to the same route and place whether I'm at school or at home.
    2. I try to go early in the morning so not a lot of people are out, just a personal preference.
    3. I don't really have a plan, other than look confident and keep running. I don't run at night or on long trails so I don't think it will be an issue.
    4. Mileage, and over time I beat my PRs, which I keep posted on a bulletin board in my room.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    rg-22.jpg

It's a crazy world. I won't be a victim.
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    i always run at the busiest time(the beach is where i run) along my route if someone was gunna get me, someone may help or see. i do not go the other way cos its to osecluded and ive seen a few people here and there but not many and there are also lots of hidey holes inbetween trees which i do not ike. I run with me and my child.
    Dogs have not been a problem yet
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Check out Road-ID for a start. I and a lot of people have one.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    I run in East London and I keep to well populated streets. Can be a bit annoying with people getting in my way, but I know its relatively safe. I also tend to run during the daylight hours.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    rg-22.jpg

I can't imagine running with a gun will do much for your results or how safe you actually feel.
  • Fred4point0
    Fred4point0 Posts: 160 Member
    Sometimes you just have to get in the car and go to a desired location. I don't have your problem during my normal runs but I do have a pace group that I run with every Saturday. My drive is 1 hour and 15 minutes. I have to get up early and be on the road by 5:00 am to get to Santa Monica by 6:30 am. Is it worth it? It is to me since I'm training for my third marathon and hoping to get a PR. Anything worth something is going to cost you. I suggest checking the web for parks and/or running clubs. Also I never run without my cellphone. I may need help or see someone that needs help. Good luck with your running.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    I can't imagine running with a gun will do much for your results or how safe you actually feel.
    It's not that big of a dilemma. Fanny pack, I've been doing it for years.
    Let the sub-human vermin target somebody else.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    rg-22.jpg

Only in America!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Most of the trails I run are well traveled, I see another person at least every 20 minutes. Forunately, I live in an extremely safe town. I don't run at night, but that's mostly due to my tendency to trip on tree roots & because I read too many scary books as a child ;). I may decide to get pepper spray at some point (just in case I meet an aggressive dog).
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    rg-22.jpg

Only in America!

I use nike+ to plan routes by distance. sometimes if I'm bored, I dont mind driving to a different area and running the pre-planned course.

Take a gun whilst out running..I am glad I live in a country where our constitution dosn't allow us to kill people.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Take a gun whilst out running..I am glad I live in a country where our constitution dosn't allow us to kill people.

That's never stopped a criminal before.... In fact the very definition of a criminal seems to make it clear. But I digress, this is a thread about keeping safe whilst running, not a political soapbox.

I carry pepper spray when I am biking
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Thanks for the ideas! I have a friend that I run with sometimes, but our schedules don't match a lot so it makes it hard to plan. I do carry pepper spray on me sometimes for loose dogs. I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood, but for some reason, a lot of people around here just let their dogs roam the yard then charge at someone going by.

As for the gun thing, let's not turn this topic on to that please.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I run through a section of my local college that's near my home. When I was first starting out, I mapped out routes on runkeeper.com to figure out mileage, especially as my distance increased.

I'm on a campus, which sometimes makes me feel safer, and sometimes less safe! :tongue: The side I run on is mostly agriculture, so not as much foot traffic for most of it, but I do see other walkers, runners and cyclists. I go in the morning, keep mostly that have a wide shoulder or path so I'm not on the edge of the road (college drivers aren't always known for their alertness - have seen them eating, texting, applying mascara as they zoom past!), always run against traffic, even when I've got the wide shoulder, and keep my eyes open - head up, glancing behind me often, and looking far ahead for unexpected traffic, parked cars, the college track team (hello! look out boys, old lady coming through! LOL), people with dogs, a coyote (happened a couple of weeks ago!), or whatever. I also carry a decent sized pocket knife clipped to my pants/shorts, have a RoadID (someone else mentioned those - great thing to have should you ever be injured and not able to speak for yourself when help arrives), and my phone with me in an armband.

The knife is a "just in case" last resort thing, would probably be a deterrent more than anything, and assuming I was aware enough of someone coming at me who was up to no good and had time to get it out and flip it open. Times that I've used this knife as a tool (to open a package or whatever), guy friends who are present freak out when I pull the knife from my pocket and flip it open ("You carry a knife?? Stay away from me!" LOL). So one would hope that bad guy seeing the runner chick whip out her knife would have the sense to turn around and find someone else to pick on, or just go home. :tongue:

Anyway, the best way to avoid a bad situation is not to be in the potential bad situation in the first place. Not always possible, but going out at a good hour, and having good situational awareness is key. And trust your gut - more than once I've changed my route or turned around because of a vehicle or a person up ahead that for whatever reason left me feeling odd. Better safe than sorry.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    I run in South Africa, which is a bit lower down on the list of the safest places to run.

Know the area where you run, If you have to turn in a side street to avoid people, would you know if it is a dead end or how to get out of there again?
    Change your routes so that people on the street do not know when you are going to be running where. But, I let my husband know where I am running and when he can expect me back. If I do change my route I text him.
    On long runs we always run in a group.
    I have a handheld pepper spray that I carry with me in runs.
    My ponytail is always tucked away in my cap so that somebody cannot grab me easily from behind.
    I avoid running next to fields. I also prefer busier streets. Traffic might be an annoyance but at least I know there are other people around.