QUITTING Planet Fitness

Has anyone joined and then QUIT Planet Fitness? Was quitting easy for you?

I am looking for a cheap alternative to my gym (which has to raise rates again). I tend to need a gym just on weekends, since my work has a gym. And what I need it for is just a treadmill in the winter and a few weights.

I'm considering PF, but as with EVERY gym it seems, the internet is full of terrible reviews.

So, has anyone QUIT Planet Fitness, and how easy was it?

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    A bump for good measure.

Anyone?
  • mad00had00
    mad00had00 Posts: 103 Member
    I did..it was pretty easy. Planet fitness itself is a good gym...not too many hardcore lifting options..but good enough Id say. plus they are open 24x7 (according to them) so thats good..especially on the days when late workouts were needed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    I did..it was pretty easy. Planet fitness itself is a good gym...not too many hardcore lifting options..but good enough Id say. plus they are open 24x7 (according to them) so thats good..especially on the days when late workouts were needed.
    Thanks. Glad to hear it. I don't need much, weights wise, as I can do that at work too, most days.

Thanks for the info. I think I WILL go try them out.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    PF is a great option if you're looking for cardio - the one that I went to in 2011 had more cardio machines than you could shake any kind of stick at!
  • aksunshine
    aksunshine Posts: 62 Member
    i've used PF for the last 3 years - it's great for cardio and unlimited tanning as well. pretty inexpensive.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    10.00 a month with no commitment. Just have to tell them within a certain number of days that you want to quit, otherwise you will still be billed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    10.00 a month with no commitment. Just have to tell them within a certain number of days that you want to quit, otherwise you will still be billed.
    And, as I understand you'll be charged around $50. Since you're agreeing to a year.

The web is full of complaints from folks saying they were billed for months after officially quitting.
    Because it's a franchise, I'm assuming such stories are site specific.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    It was very easy. Just fill out a little form. But you have to go into the gym to do it.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I just got back from my daily PF visit. I think it does all I need it to do. :)

Today was core day!
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    And, as I understand you'll be charged around $50. Since you're agreeing to a year.

The web is full of complaints from folks saying they were billed for months after officially quitting.

You're not agreeing to anything. You can do the NO CONTRACT which means you're not committed. You just go in and tell them you're quitting.

I didn't tell them within 30 or 60 or 90 days. I just walked in and filled out the paper and quit. and I actually had a contract with them that was $20 a month, but it was still easy as filling out a piece of paper. Took me 5 minutes.
  • alysiafresh
    alysiafresh Posts: 11 Member
    I've moved around to various cities and quit PF twice, never had any problems with continuous billing after quitting. You just go in, tell'em you want out, and sign a paper. Just make sure you know when the billing cycle is, I had to have it done by the 10th of the month in order to not get billed for the next month, and you aren't charged anything for quitting, you can do it at any time.
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member

I think the $10 a month plan is no commitment, whereas the $20 a month plan has a one year commitment and would be charged if you cancel early.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    My problem with quitting PF is that they wanted me, in person, to quit at the gym we signed up at. We picked the locale because it was close to my husband's job and then moved a bit further away from it. I thought he could just swing in and cancel for me, but no, had to be me in person. Probably not a problem for most people but I found it annoying.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edit
  • PF is great. I believe that because they are a franchise, different gyms have different offers and rules. Mine is no contract, no cancel fee.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    I didn't have any trouble when I quit PF. I just signed a cancellation form and that was it.

Probably going to vary from franchise to franchise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Here's what the application says:

A Low $10.00 Start Up Fee
    Only $10.00 per month
    Plus applicable taxes.Billed monthly to a checking account. Annual Membership Fee of $29.00 plus applicable taxes will be billed on or shortly after October 1st. Membership can only be used at the XXX location.

If there's an annual membership fee...I assumed there was an annual agreement. I think I'll mosey down there and try them out and ask some questions.
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    They've been running a special last couple of weeks for 99 for a year. See if that's still available.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    I joined...then quit.... then rejoined a different location. I've always loved PF. Plenty of cardio machines, lots of strength machines, and quite a few free weights. Where else can you get that for $10 a month with no contract?
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    I didn't even have to go to Planet Fitness in Person to quit, I sent a letter saying I no longer could be a member since I moved and sent it via Certified mail. No charges after that! I did make sure I mailed it by a certain date so that month's payment didn't come out.